Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Sturgeon

Kylo Ren is my favorite of the new film. I think one could make a very strong case for Sidious/Palpatine representing Hatred, Vader representing Anger, and Ren representing Fear. I really like that we haven't seen this weak aspect of the Dark Side before, we've really only be treated to Vader and Sidious (both according to the EU being two of the most powerful Sith Ever Of All Time). Ren represents a serious cost and risk of going to the Dark Side, which was implied in Empire but not really shown to us until now.

I'm with Sturgeon on this one.

Further (and I've already said this to one of my friends) I have to mention that there comes a point where criticism turns into butthurt over the fact that the movie didn't conform to some sort of impossibly perfect version that you had in your head. Don't cross that line, as nothing good comes afterwards.

My issues are kinda minor.  I'm not bashing the movie at all. Thoroughly enjoyed it, just... wish that the superweapony thing was a bit more interesting and I really wish that Leia was a lightsaber wielding battle general.  She's force sensitive, I'd have like to seen that used a bit more.

My two gripey cents, now that I literally just got done watching the movie; the Star Killer thing was a planet converted into a super weapon I guess, it absorbs the energy of the star it's orbiting, then blows up, and forms a star of the same size as the planet was previously. Where did the star's matter go?

Also, there's finally one stormtrooper that can aim, but none of his former comrades can hit sheeit

Also, inventing space languages for the sole purpose of it not being comprehensible to the audience is dumb

Also, how is every character except the stormtrooper fluent or at least competent in every single space language

Also, how does BB8 get picked up from the top by the X-Wing's grabby suction cup thing, but show up as if being pushed from below when it shows up at the top of the X-Wing?

Not sure why you think his death didn't move the plot along, since Ben's decision to kill him marked his commitment to the Dark Side.

As far as the books are concerned, even when he killer his father, Kylo Ren still had remorses. So I don't think that's the case. If anything JJ Abrams kept him alive for his 'return to the light' story. 

Over all the film was very well produced, despite Kylo's actor having a broken leg halfway through the movie. It surprisingly followed the EU rather well. Having a vaguely similar plot and EU actors turned canon (Darth Caedus into Kylo Ren), and etc. I think of it as the third best of the saga at the moment, just behind Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi

I like how Finn was recognized twice by guys from the Empire and they flipped out calling him a traitor. 

I did not like how they went about it. I think the idea of his comrades remembering his treason, but they poorly acted it. When TR-8R called him out, there was no personal context between Finn nor the trooper. It would have been better acted if they had dialogue giving insight on their relationship.

Kylo calling him out? Made no sense to me. Why would he care for a single trooper?

Kylo Ren is my favorite of the new film. I think one could make a very strong case for Sidious/Palpatine representing Hatred, Vader representing Anger, and Ren representing Fear. I really like that we haven't seen this weak aspect of the Dark Side before, we've really only be treated to Vader and Sidious (both according to the EU being two of the most powerful Sith Ever Of All Time). Ren represents a serious cost and risk of going to the Dark Side, which was implied in Empire but not really shown to us until now.

He's currently my favorite character as well. I think he was well molded from Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo (also their similarity in acting like an emo crybaby at first impression) from the old EU. The fact he was from the 'light' and converted into the dark side makes him a potentially strong character if trained correctly. The same with Anakins past, those who turn always come out the strongest in the Dark Side. Not to mention Plagueis.

I think of it as the third best of the saga at the moment, just behind Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi.

I'm guessing you're an Emperor Palpatine fan...

He's currently my favorite character as well. I think he was well molded from Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo (also their similarity in acting like an emo crybaby at first impression) from the old EU. The fact he was from the 'light' and converted into the dark side makes him a potentially strong character if trained correctly. The same with Anakins past, those who turn always come out the strongest in the Dark Side. Not to mention Plagueis.

Oh yeah, he's definitely a less-stupid adaptation of Jacen Solo.

I'm guessing you're an Emperor Palpatine fan...

I'm a very large Anakin fan, especially in Episode 3. Sidious always seemed like a pretty pointless Emperor. And technically was a puppet for Darth Plagueis (Snoke) the entire time.

Oh yeah, he's definitely a less-stupid adaptation of Jacen Solo.

I wouldn't go that far yet. Jacen was at least a successful commander of his army to the end. Kylo doesnt seem to be very admired by his own soldiers, going off some of the reactions the first order troopers gave him. 

I'm a very large Anakin fan, especially in Episode 3. Sidious always seemed like a pretty pointless Emperor. And technically was a puppet for Darth Plagueis (Snoke) the entire time.

I don't think we know for sure that Snoke is Plagueis, but sure, I think that's likely.

Sidious is an awesome emperor, what are you talking about? He has the best dialogue in the series.

I wouldn't go that far yet. Jacen was at least a successful commander of his army to the end. Kylo doesnt seem to be very admired by his own soldiers, going off some of the reactions the first order troopers gave him. 

Awww, man, how can you take the EU that seriously? Kylo has so much more going on to me as a character and as a piece of an ensemble than Jacen ever did. I just remember Jacen being this nexus of whininess, where he made other people do nothing but whine about him.

Kylo's whiny, sure, but that's in contrast to those around him.

I don't think we know for sure that Snoke is Plagueis, but sure, I think that's likely.

We don't, but Abrams gave us his clues very well. The fact the "Snoke" soundtrack is the same one as the ost used in Episode 3 when Sidious mentioned the dark lord to Anakin being the most clear clue. But we'll see.

Sidious is an awesome emperor, what are you talking about? He has the best dialogue in the series.

Dialogue wise, but some of his actions in the EU were sort of bland.

Awww, man, how can you take the EU that seriously? Kylo has so much more going on to me as a character and as a piece of an ensemble than Jacen ever did. I just remember Jacen being this nexus of whininess, where he made other people do nothing but whine about him.

Kylo's whiny, sure, but that's in contrast to those around him.

I'm a massive EU fan, and I agree Kylo has a lot more going for himself in this new trilogy. And no doubt he'll surpass Jacen soon. I mean who wouldnt want to act like a Darth Vader copy when he is the best grandfather your father never was? 

I'm not a fan of the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer. According to the canon its supposed to be the New Order's model of the Executor-class dreadnought, just significantly smaller (twice the size of the Imperial I class). Instead of adding ISD-72x shield generators that actually work (Apparently they never even used them in the original trilogy..), they thought it would be smart to spend more resources making the hull larger to cover the bridge and limit the eye view. 

GJUV5Ql.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer. According to the canon its supposed to be the New Order's model of the Executor-class dreadnought, just significantly smaller (twice the size of the Imperial I class). Instead of adding ISD-72x shield generators that actually work (Apparently they never even used them in the original trilogy..), they thought it would be smart to spend more resources making the hull larger to cover the bridge and limit the eye view. 

GJUV5Ql.jpg

Looks more like an Allegiance class on crack than anything based off the Executor

Problem with the resurgence class is that its too edgy to fullfill the purpose of its on design. The heavy turbolaser batteries have limited traverse because of the superstructer in the way. They look pretty small so they obviously are supplemented by other batteries, but it still erks me. The ISD 1 was so geometrically perfect in terms of getting all batteries on one spot from most angles. 

8wfBqei.jpg

Looks more like an Allegiance class on crack than anything based off the Executor

I'm sure Kylo Ren wanted his own absurd flagship like Darth Vader. But really, if we wanted something big and intimindating, he should have just made something absurd that can be combat effective..

finished_star_wars_project_by_jbjhjm-d3b

Problem with the resurgence class is that its too edgy to fullfill the purpose of its on design. The heavy turbolaser batteries have limited traverse because of the superstructer in the way. They look pretty small so they obviously are supplemented by other batteries, but it still erks me. The ISD 1 was so geometrically perfect in terms of getting all batteries on one spot from most angles. 

From the short clips down in the movie, the cannons also seem to have a lore portion on the belly of the warship. It does have 3,000 turbolasers and ion cannons located throughout the ship to compensate for the lack of traverse,  compared to the ISD 1's 1500. The multi layer deck is the obvious primary problem with the ship besides the bridge, too many high risen decks means obvious lack of fire support from both sides, and over all lack of protection. The pro of it means that in the case proton bombs are ejected onto the superstructure they have easier locking. At least thats if the internals are structured properly, which isnt for sure until they give insight on the layout in the future. 

I'm sure Kylo Ren wanted his own absurd flagship like Darth Vader. But really, if we wanted something big and intimindating, he should have just made something absurd that can be combat effective..

finished_star_wars_project_by_jbjhjm-d3b

I like the Assertor class alot more. Less edgy 

JvTDIbU.jpg