Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Japan Pays Korea Reparations For "Comfort Women"

Sturgeon

Tied is trying to get me to ban him, just for the record.

frigg off, that was a joke i was playing because i rather be banned than die of my old age and make you faggots idealize your favorite shitposter, ask Don

this shit right here is for Mech

Yes, and do you also know that the British pay compensation for colonial era atrocities?http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/uk-compensate-kenya-mau-mau-torture

Japan has provided compensation as well, most notable to South Korea in 1965.

China was wavered because it was the CCP, not RoC. They agreed on that under Mao's time.

Of course Imperial Japan has many examples of senseless manslaughter. But on a whole, the empire function on creating collaborators. It's specific deep scare in the case of Korea. But again that is how it worked. There were many Chinese collaborators too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Jingwei

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reorganized_National_Government_of_the_Republic_of_China

Of course Imperial Japan has many examples of senseless manslaughter. But on a whole, the empire function on creating collaborators. It's specific deep scare in the case of Korea. But again that is how it worked. There were many Chinese collaborators too.

Yeah, that was considered acceptable in 1737 or 1837, not really anymore by 1937. You can't really justify 20th century massacres using 19th/18th century logic.

Yeah, that was considered acceptable in 1737 or 1837, not really anymore by 1937. You can't really justify 20th century massacres using 19th/18th century logic.

The US and Great Britain were able to abandon it because they achieved top power status. They no longer had too continue it. The US was particularly blessed with so much land with such relatively low Native American population occupying it. Raising powers would have to do so to ascend. It is a little hypocritically to finally establish high moral grounds after having achieved top power status. But better done so than never. If there was no opium wars against China, Great Britain wouldn't have achieved the scale of its empire. It's all relative.

I don't understand what he is trying to justify, honestly. He was saying that the Japanese wanted to sow terror in order to pacify and get the people collaborate. Yes, that's true. It's also not mutually exclusive with the fact that the Japanese looked upon the Chinese and Koreans as inferior people, and were more than happy to kill them at the slightest provocation, if any at all.

It's all relative yes, but this criticism is coming from the Chinese and Koreans. Not the British, not the Americans, not the Russians, not the Germans. Neither of them have carried out massacres of foreign populations on the scale the Japanese have in living memory. Don't engage in 'whataboutisms'.

I don't understand what he is trying to justify, honestly. He was saying that the Japanese wanted to sow terror in order to pacify and get the people collaborate. Yes, that's true. It's also not mutually exclusive with the fact that the Japanese looked upon the Chinese and Koreans as inferior people, and were more than happy to kill them at the slightest provocation, if any at all.

If the alternative was the Holocaust, it's pretty obvious which way was better. It's still very very bad, but proper perspective is necessary.

If the alternative was the Holocaust, it's pretty obvious which way was better. It's still very very bad, but proper perspective is necessary.

Are you trying to say that the only alternative to things like Nanking is the Holocaust? I'm sure glad you were not in charge of the Occupation of Japan or Germany after the war.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say about proper perspective. Perspective of whom? The Japanese? The people who were subjugated by them?

Are you trying to say that the only alternative to things like Nanking is the Holocaust? I'm sure glad you were not in charge of the Occupation of Japan or Germany after the war.

Of course not. It's kind of pointless to interject alternative course of history.

Why did Japan go down the path of militarism is a very important topic. In any case, I do not endorse Japan went down the right path into its aggressive war and ultimately, I do hold in my opinion that the ultimate destruction of Imperial Japan by the US was a good thing.

The issue is taken what Japan did in the past and to continue pressing it on Japan today. PRC continues to trumpet 300,000 massacre at Nanking. If the Japanese apologize, CCP says it's not sincere because they disagree with 300,000 massacred at Nanking. If historians do real sincere and honest historical research and conclude that about 50,000 were massacred and express apology and remorse and compensation with that in mind, the CCP declines it citing their 300,000 figures. It's a total loss.

Why did Japan go down the path of militarism is a very important topic. In any case, I do not endorse Japan went down the right path into its aggressive war and ultimately, I do hold in my opinion that the ultimate destruction of Imperial Japan by the US was a good thing.

That is good that you agree on that. As long as Japan itself does sincerely recognise that, hopefully it will never go down that path again.

It's all relative yes, but this criticism is coming from the Chinese and Koreans. Not the British, not the Americans, not the Russians, not the Germans. Neither of them have carried out massacres of foreign populations on the scale the Japanese have in living memory. Don't engage in 'whataboutisms'.

The reason why the historical issue feels like it is dragging on today is because during the 1960s through to the 1980s. Both needed Japanese tech and finances. Naturally their not going to get it if they press historical issues. Their societies have also been under tight government control so Chinese and Koreans couldn't look into their past history.

During the 1980s, Japanese and PRC relations were improving. Trade was going up and cultural exchanges were happening. PRC would air Japanese dramas on TV even. Of course anti-Japanese resentment lingered, but there was a large wash of the materialism and looking forward. And PRC was starting to open up.

Then came the 1989 Tianamen massacre.

The PRC government quickly retracted it's opening up and the CCP became very unpopular.

So how were they going to restore the people's opinion in their one party rule? Simple. During the 1990s, the PRC cranked up anti-Japanese propaganda in order to create an external bad guy to regathering public support. CCP did that to just save their own skin.

Relations were on the mend. But CCP being what it is resulted in a reversal. The Japanese tried to counter that reversal with apologies but to no avail during the 1990s to China.

Of course not. It's kind of pointless to interject alternative course of history.

The issue is taken what Japan did in the past and to continue pressing it on Japan today. PRC continues to trumpet 300,000 massacre at Nanking. If the Japanese apologize, CCP says it's not sincere because they disagree with 300,000 massacred at Nanking. If historians do real sincere and honest historical research and conclude that about 50,000 were massacred and express apology and remorse and compensation with that in mind, the CCP declines it citing their 300,000 figures. It's a total loss.

Ya jap fucking hostrians, and those subhuman yellow monekies probably cant tell the difference between 50 and 300 thousand because their minds are already clotted to the brim with their normal perverse thoughts of rape and pillage

Japan has no right to claim how many were massacred could you imagen if some German historian said "well actually, the number of Jews that died in the holocuast was alot closer to 500 thousand and not six million"

thats the thing you cant, because you slant eyed bastards have been getting off easy for the last 70 fucking years 

Ya jap fucking hostrians, and those subhuman yellow monekies probably cant tell the difference between 50 and 300 thousand because their minds are already clotted to the brim with their normal perverse thoughts of rape and pillage

Japan has no right to claim how many were massacred could you imagen if some German historian said "well actually, the number of Jews that died in the holocuast was alot closer to 500 thousand and not six million"

thats the thing you cant, because you slant eyed bastards have been getting off easy for the last 70 fucking years

In fact serious looks into what happened in China during WW2 were initiated by Japanese because Chinese couldn't do real scholarship work under their tight government. As I said earlier, Mao kept the Nanking Massacre a secret because it could legitimize RoC credibility in its fight against Japan. Mao didnt want to give RoC good propaganda material.

The reason why the historical issue feels like it is dragging on today is because during the 1960s through to the 1980s. Both needed Japanese tech and finances. Naturally their not going to get it if they press historical issues. Their societies have also been under tight government control so Chinese and Koreans couldn't look into their past history.

During the 1980s, Japanese and PRC relations were improving. Trade was going up and cultural exchanges were happening. PRC would air Japanese dramas on TV even. Of course anti-Japanese resentment lingered, but there was a large wash of the materialism and looking forward. And PRC was starting to open up.

Then came the 1989 Tianamen massacre.

The PRC government quickly retracted it's opening up and the CCP became very unpopular.

So how were they going to restore the people's opinion in their one party rule? Simple. During the 1990s, the PRC cranked up anti-Japanese propaganda in order to create an external bad guy to regathering public support. CCP did that to just save their own skin.

Relations were on the mend. But CCP being what it is resulted in a reversal. The Japanese tried to counter that reversal with apologies but to no avail during the 1990s to China.

I agree that these issues do get played up a lot on the Chinese and Korean end for political gain. However, I doubt there has ever been something like the relatively recent Katyn memorial where leaders from both countries got together to make amends at the site publicly. It also always seemed to me like there was a reluctance on the Japanese part to face up to the fact that they committed these things, whether it was 300,000 or 50,000 who were killed (ie. the textbook issues, Nanking denials by certain important individuals etc.)

I agree that these issues do get played up a lot on the Chinese and Korean end for political gain. However, I doubt there has ever been something like the relatively recent Katyn memorial where leaders from both countries got together to make amends at the site publicly. It also always seemed to me like there was a reluctance on the Japanese part to face up to the fact that they committed these things, whether it was 300,000 or 50,000 who were killed (ie. the textbook issues, Nanking denials by certain important individuals etc.)

It's important to remember the nature of the CCP. They aren't like France, Germany, or Sweden today. Single party total control heavy propaganda. They can't be reasoned with.

Liu Xiaobo currently in Chinese jail. The end of the video says 3 years but it's been extended to 11 years. His release is 2020. Although he won't be allowed to do anything of course.

It's important to remember the nature of the CCP. They aren't like France, Germany, or Sweden today. Single party total control heavy propaganda. They can't be reasoned with.

Liu Xiaobo currently in Chinese jail. The end of the video says 3 years but it's been extended to 11 years. His release is 2020. Although he won't be allowed to do anything of course.

I'm aware of that. I'm not pro-CCP, or even pro-China by any means, despite being Malaysian Chinese.

Nanking was a crime on the Nationalist controlled territory, that doesn't change anything to the individual civilians that were affected directly. Those people still reside in the lands that were razed by Imperial Japan. Just because a bunch of high ranking officials fled to Taiwan doesn't mean the scars arent there anymore. 

In the novel "Hocus Pocus" by Kurt Vonnegut, the main character uses the phrase "when the excrement hits the airconditioning" rather than "when the shit hits the fan."   He says he talks this way because he believes profanity gives people an excuse not to listen to the point he is trying to make.  I would venture to say that racial epitaphs function in much the same way.  While it may be emotionally satisfying to forcefully type "yellow monkies" and "jap subhumans" into your keyboard while indulging in vodka and cheeseburgers, it does not do much to win anyone over to your arguments.  Just some food for thought.

In the novel "Hocus Pocus" by Kurt Vonnegut, the main character uses the phrase "when the excrement hits the airconditioning" rather than "when the shit hits the fan."   He says he talks this way because he believes profanity gives people an excuse not to listen to the point he is trying to make.  I would venture to say that racial epitaphs function in much the same way.  While it may be emotionally satisfying to forcefully type "yellow monkies" and "jap subhumans" into your keyboard while indulging in vodka and cheeseburgers, it does not do much to win anyone over to your arguments.  Just some food for thought.

fuck that shit

ive tried and failed for 2 years to debate this type of horsefuckery in the open in other forums, most notably the HAV

and somewhere along to lines i remembered that there very few Japanese, German, or the very rare yet plushy Italian apologist that will simply drop his evil ways when you point out facts A, B, and C in a calm and intelligent manor and with white gloves present citations and sources D, F, and E 

and that there are even less people who will go over to the school of thought of "you know what, the Axis get a bad rap" when the argument for against isnt up to snuff

and since the moderation here handed me a blank check along time ago, im free to down the shithawks with a double barrel shitshotgun. Because much like the Atomic bombings of japan in world war 2, its just easier that way, and i really dont give two flying albino fuckbirds about the other side