Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Books About Tanks

EnsignExpendable

Check out this interview on my site with author Robert Forczyk.  We talk about his latest book "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-45" as well as his career as a US Armor officer.

https://tankandafvnews.com/2016/06/02/tank-warfare-on-the-eastern-front-an-interview-with-robert-forczyk/

Check out this interview on my site with author Robert Forczyk.  We talk about his latest book "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-45" as well as his career as a US Armor officer.

https://tankandafvnews.com/2016/06/02/tank-warfare-on-the-eastern-front-an-interview-with-robert-forczyk/

His views on Sea Lion are interesting.

Hmmm, I would be interested to hear his assessment of Mikhail Katukov. He seems to have been one of the more outstanding Soviet armour commanders.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh neat, I have ten bucks of Google Play credits and there are a bunch of Forczyk/Zaloga "versus" type books on sale. Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting PzIV vs Sherman or Panzejager vs KV-1, but there's a PzIII vs Grant that seems interesting, even though it's by some guy I never heard of.

The Pz III vs Grant book got a pretty harsh two star review from Forczyk on Amazon.  It's one of the few in the series I don't think I have read.  Panzerjager Vs KV-1 is pretty good.  All the Zaloga ones are good except Stug III vs M10.  It's not terrible, it's just a bit of a stretch as far the "duel" aspect.  Zaloga's duel books on the battle of France (PzIV vs Char B and PzIII vs S-35) are really worth getting.  Not sure if those are included in the sale though.  

The Pz III vs Grant book got a pretty harsh two star review from Forczyk on Amazon.  It's one of the few in the series I don't think I have read.  Panzerjager Vs KV-1 is pretty good.  All the Zaloga ones are good except Stug III vs M10.  It's not terrible, it's just a bit of a stretch as far the "duel" aspect.  Zaloga's duel books on the battle of France (PzIV vs Char B and PzIII vs S-35) are really worth getting.  Not sure if those are included in the sale though.  

You can also download it for free from that book place you just posted Walt!

http://bookzz.org/book/650650/cd821e

• 1 month later...

"Armour" by Hazell is a pretty good resource, except it leaves out the truly interesting bits. For example when explaining hydrodynamic penetration it uses an aluminium alloy as target material, not RHA. Of course it explains the variables etc used in the calculation, but it doesn't list those for RHA. Or detail how the values are acquired.

The ERA and APS sections are also kind of bare, it does explain most of the things, but the author doesn't throw around formulas and equations like he does with 'normal' penetration mechanics.

"Armour" by Hazell is a pretty good resource, except it leaves out the truly interesting bits. For example when explaining hydrodynamic penetration it uses an aluminium alloy as target material, not RHA. Of course it explains the variables etc used in the calculation, but it doesn't list those for RHA. Or detail how the values are acquired.

The testing is quite arcane, AIUI.  Normal testing looks at low strain rates, and the behavior at high strain rates (i.e. when a goddamn mach 5 lump of uranium is hitting a target) are quite different.

• 4 months later...

The books I ordered with Christmas gift cards are coming in. 

These all came today.  I have another book on task force Baum coming too, that's what raid is about, and the whole thing sounds pretty interesting. It was mission to save Patton's son in law. I have a book on an F-14 pilot coming too, and of course, Islands of Destiny is about the air war in the Solomons, one of my favorite air campaigns.

20170103_164501_zpspw50tl5x.jpg

I've been reading Firefly V Tiger by Stephan Hart, and I have to say, it reads like a wehraboo wank fantasy. I havn't found any maniacal laughter yet though. 

Islands of Destiny looks good. :) I have a particular fascination with the Solomons campaign as an essay I did on that for 20th Cent. World History in high school earned me my highest grade on a major assignment (40% of my mark for the year).  I got 97% on that... lost 3% points for being missing a middle draft.

Islands of Destiny looks good. :) I have a particular fascination with the Solomons campaign as an essay I did on that for 20th Cent. World History in high school earned me my highest grade on a major assignment (40% of my mark for the year).  I got 97% on that... lost 3% points for being missing a middle draft.

Lol nice, I found it so interesting, the first part of my historical novel is set there. 

I'll have to pick up that book about TF Baum; beyond the tragic mission there was a lot of politicking going on as well. Currently reading Deborah and the War of the Tanks about the Cambrai-veteran Mk.IV unearthed not too long ago in France. The author goes into detail of the crewmen of the various D51 tanks, and it's quite engrossing 100 pages in.