Sturgeon's House

This is a thread about dead trees and dead tree substitutes. For example, I just scored this sexy number for only $12:

Ur8zZypl.jpg

It's a pretty huge book (think coffee table sized) with amazing maps:

GFWIayAl.jpg

Gitjw9xl.jpg

A brief inspection reveals some idiocy, but it doesn't detract much from the pretty pictures

yH5yIv0l.jpg

Post your bookshelves itt

cwljfacl.jpg

Planted .PDF file in the ground.

24 hours later have yet to have a tree substitute.

Please advise.

You have to scream "GROW INTO A TREE SUBSTITUTE!" at the PDF 3x every hour for 5 days. Trust me. Then you'll have an acceptable tree substitute.

My tank books.  This does not include the bookshelf I have of general WW2 books.

20160101_181827.jpg?w=559

Look at all those Hunnicutt books.  

I remember when those books were first-run items in the bookstores ...

At $65 to $100 each, I could never justify buying one vs the latest ASL module (or a couple of them).

Boy, was I stupid ...

===============

Hey Walter, will those books to me, would ya?

I'll send you some cookies next month ....

I remember when those books were first-run items in the bookstores ...

At $65 to $100 each, I could never justify buying one vs the latest ASL module (or a couple of them).

Boy, was I stupid ...

===============

Hey Walter, will those books to me, would ya?

I'll send you some cookies next month ....

Sorry, I told my wife those are her inheritance after I kick the bucket.  She was just thrilled to hear it.

Sorry, I told my wife those are her inheritance after I kick the bucket.  She was just thrilled to hear it.

Hmmm ... Maybe she would ...

Note to Self - Cookies for Walter, flowers for Walter's wid wife ...

Thats the spirit

I plan to leave all my Soviet memorabilia, vehicles, firearms to the children, and since they say youth is wasted on the youthful, they must wait till atleast age 60 to fire any of it

Tied works in drunk mysterious ways

I got my copy of US Military Tracked Vehicles by Fred Crimson in the mail today.  It's a pretty nice reference book.  I feel better about paying 28 dollars for it now that the cheapest used copy available on Amazon is $85.  I'm pretty sure a PDF version is out there for those that want to hunt it down.  

61IlOdqlqKL._UL500_.jpg

Anything groundbreaking? 

The biggest letdown in tank books is getting a rehash of something that you've read 1000x online. 

It's one of those books that would definitely have been more valuable in the pre-internet era since it's basically an encyclopedia.  That said, it has very good coverage of the non-combat tracked vehicles such as prime movers and transports.  

I got several gift cards to Amazon so I scored a bunch of new books. Most used and cheaper than normal.  I ended up getting a mix of books, some tank, some airplane, and at least one boats related.  Well more than one if you count books on naval aviation. 

The books:

Vultures Row, Thirty Years in Naval Aviation  As you guessed, Gillcrist is a naval aviator.

Feet Wet, Reflections of A Carrier Pilot by Paul Gillcrist.

Fabled Fifteen, The Pacific War Saga of Carrier Air Group 15( Essex's) by Thomas Mckelvey Cleaver

USMC Fighter Squadrons of WWII by Barrett Tillman

The Big E, the Story of the USS Enterprise, Illustrated edition by Edward Stafford.  The is a pre order. The book is about the WWII Big E.

US Destroyers, an Illustrated design history, by Norman Friedman, wanted this one for years. 

Resurrection, Salvaging The Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor, by Daniel Madsen

Patton, a History of the American Main Battle Tank Volume 1, by R.P. Hunnicutt

Panzer IV vs Sherman France 1944 by Zaloga

Panther vs Sherman Battle of the Bulge 1944 by Zaloga

Tanks in Hell, A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa by Oscar Gilbert and Romain Cansiere

M4 Sherman (Images of War) by Ware, the Sherman history in this isn't very good, but I suppose it's alright, since its a picture book.  This one was a just to see what the book series is about buy. Expect the Tarawa post to grow. 

Betrayal From the East, the Inside Story of the Japanese Spies in America, by Alan Hynd. This was published in 1943 and sold out at least 4 printings. From a few glances inside it seems really really bad, but I had to buy it for a 3.23 plus shipping. 

Washington Merry Go Round by Robert Allen, this is a washington DC gossip book from the mid 40s. 

Since Walt posted pics, I feel compelled to as well. I don't discriminate against my airplane and ship books though!

20160109_113610g_zpsb5wbzdzx.jpg

20160109_113650g_zpskyf0v7xs.jpg

20160109_113713g_zpsozso9vwm.jpg

20160109_113739g_zpspakbic4b.jpg

20160109_113810g_zpshfepgv0a.jpg

Airplanes, and the P-38 and Corsair in particular were my first love. 

I got several gift cards to Amazon so I scored a bunch of new books. Most used and cheaper than normal.  I ended up getting a mix of books, some tank, some airplane, and at least one boats related.  Well more than one if you count books on naval aviation. 

The books:

Vultures Row, Thirty Years in Naval Aviation  As you guessed, Gillcrist is a naval aviator.

Feet Wet, Reflections of A Carrier Pilot by Paul Gillcrist.

Fabled Fifteen, The Pacific War Saga of Carrier Air Group 15( Essex's) by Thomas Mckelvey Cleaver

USMC Fighter Squadrons of WWII by Barrett Tillman

The Big E, the Story of the USS Enterprise, Illustrated edition by Edward Stafford.  The is a pre order. The book is about the WWII Big E.

US Destroyers, an Illustrated design history, by Norman Friedman, wanted this one for years. 

Resurrection, Salvaging The Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor, by Daniel Madsen

Patton, a History of the American Main Battle Tank Volume 1, by R.P. Hunnicutt

Panzer IV vs Sherman France 1944 by Zaloga

Panther vs Sherman Battle of the Bulge 1944 by Zaloga

Tanks in Hell, A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa by Oscar Gilbert and Romain Cansiere

M4 Sherman (Images of War) by Ware, the Sherman history in this isn't very good, but I suppose it's alright, since its a picture book.  This one was a just to see what the book series is about buy. Expect the Tarawa post to grow. 

Betrayal From the East, the Inside Story of the Japanese Spies in America, by Alan Hynd. This was published in 1943 and sold out at least 4 printings. From a few glances inside it seems really really bad, but I had to buy it for a 3.23 plus shipping. 

Washington Merry Go Round by Robert Allen, this is a washington DC gossip book from the mid 40s. 

Since Walt posted pics, I feel compelled to as well. I don't discriminate against my airplane and ship books though!

20160109_113610g_zpsb5wbzdzx.jpg

20160109_113713g_zpsozso9vwm.jpg

Airplanes, and the P-38 and Corsair in particular were my first love. 

You have a hard copy of the Loza book?  I need one of those.  You have a lot more Oscar Gilbert books than me.  I should pick up some more of those.

You have a hard copy of the Loza book?  I need one of those.  You have a lot more Oscar Gilbert books than me.  I should pick up some more of those.

I really enjoyed all the Oscar Gilbert books.  The new one he just did looks awesome, and it led me to a new site to link on the Sherman tank page.   www.tanksontarawa.com, a very cool site on the marine Sherman tank company used on Tarawa. I've pretty much spent my whole evening checking it out.