Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

China's Terrifying Tool For Societal Conformity

Alex C.

You really have to double-check Extra Credits. I stopped watching them once I realized they either would only read the WIkipedia page or one or two news stories on these sorts of topics, yet they really like to speak with authority. Their videos on things like gamification and addiction are proof of that. For some reason, James Portnow just happens to be an expert and well-read on everything, while providing zero sources for any of the claims in the videos. I'm not jumping on a wagon either way, but here's an article that has a different view:

https://www.techinasia.com/china-citizen-scores-credit-system-orwellian

I'm not saying it isn't unsettling if claims are true (this really just seems like someone read a story, and extrapolated, so I'm absorbing what information I can). I just think China just has more obviously repressive shit on their resume than this that they've been doing for decades that a game that for now mostly measures credit rating to even compare.