Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Lets talk about languages

Fair enough, I don't know anything about that to be honest.

I only know that a lot of people assume that Dutch = Deutsch. Like "Oh you're Dutch? Cool, I know Dutch!" *starts to speak in German*.

Slightly relevant:

The Amish here all called "Pennsylvania Dutch." So everyone assumed they were Dutch. Then other people came out with "They're German, because we confused 'Deutsch' with 'Dutch.'" Then, if you go and try to speak German to some Amish, they'll talk back in either Dutch, German, Swiss, or some weird combination of any three. Then it's out that Pennsylvania Dutch just means actual Dutch, and we've just been extending it to mean Germanic Pennsylvanians (Non-Amish too). It's weird.

• 5 months later...

I think the point made by the feller at the end there is pretty interesting: Modern day German-Germans seem pretty reluctant to take any pride in their ethnicity or country, for obvious reasons. Kind of a tragic irony if you think about what one of the major goals of the Nazis was, that being restoring German pride. In doing so, they did the exact opposite.

Because they decided to do that by being huge dicks.

Their accents are so Texan that I almost can't tell when they are speaking German

On the topic of German pride, I always find it funny that the only times you will see Germans display the German flag are when someone is being critical of their own country, if they are in the military, at [some] federal offices, or international soccer games, when Germany sees a shocking 110% flag utilization

• 1 month later...

I've been reading through a book in German on folk tales from Europe. It's all more or less comprehensible until it gets to the dialogue in this one Rumpelstilzchen-like tale

Derf I a hingehn?

Mir scheint, du bist so dumm, daßt glaubst, der König nimmt di als Frau

No Dirndl, was gibst ma denn, wannst Kenigin wirst

Jo, mei Monerl, wos kann i denn dir geben i hob jo nix

Du wirst kenigin wen, aber du muaßt nach drei Jahren no wissen, daß i Kruzimugeli haß, wannst dos nit waßt, so bist mei

No, wannst nit mehr wüllst, dos wir i ma scho merken

Wie guat is, daß djung kenigin nit waß

Daß i Kruzimugeli haß

No, Frau Kenigin, wissens no mein Nom, se derfen aber nur dreimal raten, wann Sies do nit treffen so gherns mei

No, mir scheint Steffel haßt

Nit troffa

No, so haßt holt Veitl

Nit troffa

Na, so haßt holt Kruzimugeli

• 2 weeks later...

My school teaches a mandatory Latin 1 course (which I am now taking) and after 1 year of such, an option for your remaining school career between Latin, French or Spanish courses. I plan to take Latin, because I'm not like the fucking filthy plebum that is the rest of my grade who can't distinguish the difference between the verb portare (to carry) and the noun porta (gate), or don't know what ego means or cant decline or conjugate shit. Peasants.

Anyways...

I have realized throughout this course that Latin and its conjugations and declensions are wonderful because they provide for the possibility of far more free sentence structure, and you can always know what adjective is describing what or what is performing the verb, or whatever problems far more conjugation- and declension-free languages like English may encounter.

• 4 weeks later...

This is Anglish, an attempt to create a purely Germanic English in response to the high percentage of Romance Language vocabulary in English (about 60-70%).

https://www.reddit.com/r/anglish/

What these fucking peasants don't realize is that if your bank is a gold-house or your Political Action Committee is called an althing, you're gonna sound like a pretentious idiot. "I'm forward-thinking on taking a trip to see my elder-mother" Fucking stop.

This is Anglish, an attempt to create a purely Germanic English in response to the high percentage of Romance Language vocabulary in English (about 60-70%).

https://www.reddit.com/r/anglish/

What these fucking peasants don't realize is that if your bank is a gold-house or your Political Action Committee is called an althing, you're gonna sound like a pretentious idiot. "I'm forward-thinking on taking a trip to see my elder-mother" Fucking stop.

In the year 1066 William the Bastard overcame Anglo-Saxon led England, bringing with him a new leading set and the tung of Frankrike. Through yearhundreds our wordstock was little by little edstowed, and today one can't speak without the frim of Romish words. Many are even unaware that English is in truth a Theedishtung. Inborn words are roughcasted to score between only 20 and 33 hundreths of our tung.

Lets see...

"tung": Taal

d12724851f.png

"Frankrike":

'Phonetic' spelling of the Dutch Frankrijk.

"Yearhundreds": Eeuw

9937b93cb7.png

"Wordstock"

Lets use woordenschat instead:

6299d6e48a.png

efa9b7fdc9.png

etc etc etc

If you want a Germanic language, THEN FUCK USE GERMANIC WORDS YOU ABSOLUTE WANKSTAINS. GERMANIC LITERALLY HAS A WORD FOR EVERY SINGLE FUCKING (((((LATIN))))) WORD.

Retards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 10:09 PM, Sturgeon said:

I really feel like that is a sketch.

Also, it's thousands of years old and supposedly also imitates the phonetics of Spanish?

I also don't see how one could distinguish what someone is "whistling", the only thing you would be able to notice differences in would be pitch.

• 2 weeks later...