Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

One think - ZTZ-99B does not exist, officially tanks, that were called ZTZ-99A2 or ZTZ-99B are ZTZ-99A (official designation, as i was told).

Driver weakspot still there, like on Soviet MBTs. <_<  Although, i like UFP modular design. 

ZTZ-99A2 I'm almost certain doesn't exist, the vast majority of Chinese experts and netizens I've asked regarding the name say it's basically doesn't exist and it's a western invention.

What I genuinely don't know is if Type-99A (as they I've heard there's a regular A and "heavy" A to make things more confusing) or if "heavy" A is actualy designated ZTZ-99B considering I've seen some credible sources that ZTZ-99B does exist to some extent.

It seems odd to have a ceramic based composite heavily angled like that. IIRC, that lowers their effectiveness and increases the chance that multiple plates will be hit, and shattered.

To be honest, I always figured it to be NERA.

It seems odd to have a ceramic based composite heavily angled like that. IIRC, that lowers their effectiveness and increases the chance that multiple plates will be hit, and shattered.

Yeah, i also think that it is Chinese modern "take on" NERA concept/design. But, you never know for sure  :)

Are you referring to the Ceramic/NERA on the hull or on the turret front?

The setup on the turret front is actually hollow and mostly designed to break in sections after the first hit anyway, It's Ceramics and NERA backed by a layer of HHS behind that which  the tiles are mounted to. It's apparently very effective at breaking penetrator heads off and causing the rod to yaw, which significantly hinders it's chance to penetrate the "naked" turret armor behind it, and it's very spaced out to the point HEAT jets also are less likely to dig into the turret.

Posted this picture before but, diagram of how it looks.

ZTZ-99.jpg

To be fair, aside from Sapphire based ceramics (which was mentioned in an interview by the chief designer of the 98/99 family himself, sort of odd he'd do that *shrug*), the Type-99's armor composition is riddled with speculation and secrecy on what it's even made out entirely, how it's layed out and how thick, so I can't really say that's what it 100% relies on for it's armor scheme. Even the 3 steel/2 ceramic/composite sandwich it actually uses was only found out about recently.

One theory I've heard about said layout is that it's actually very difficult to manufacture the particular type of steel it uses past certain thicknesses (Maraging Grade 350), so using 3 thinner with 2 non steel armored layers over 2 thicker and 1 composite layer may have been needed. Don't quote me on that though.

I remember him being in a couple interview videos regarding the history of the Type-98/99 family's design, do you if he's done anymore very recently?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%E7%A5%9D%E6%A6%86%E7%94%9F

http://www.google.com.hk/search?tbm=vid&hl=en-HK&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=%E7%A5%9D%E6%A6%86%E7%94%9F&oq=%E7%A5%9D%E6%A6%86%E7%94%9F&gs_l=video-hp.12...1681.2025.0.3481.3.3.0.0.0.0.222.222.2-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.34.video-hp..3.0.0.UU7N8R5FHic

You can google his name "祝榆生”。

He died last year at age 96.