Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

• 3 weeks later...

ZSL-92 of Chinese peackeeping mission in South Sudan was destroyed by mortar mine (?), 2 peacekeepers KIA.

697211_original.jpg

697034_original.jpg

696807_original.jpg

http://www.chinanews.com/shipin/2016/07-11/news656583.shtml

Via Yuri Lyamin, otvaga forum.

2 killed, 3 severely wounded, 2 wounded but not critically at the end of the confrontation. (All the wounded survived or are expected to last I heard.)

It wasn't a mine and that's a mistranslation surely, but it most likely was a mortar. There's conflicting reports, but most indicate it was a "heavy mortar shell" (probably 107mm-120mm given the description and what's actually used in the area)  that unfortunately got really lucky and struck directly topside, though some sources are saying it was an RPG-7 fired from a high angle (considering the attack happened in Juba, the capital city, likely from a rooftop if so.) The WZ551/ZBL92 is unfortunately more like an M113 in that's it's more a battle taxi/low intensity conflict vehicle (holds up to 9 not including the 3 man crew and has an almost identical weight) then a front line combat vehicle so, much like the M113 it can't really take hits.

I think it could be the chain of events leading to conflicting reports on the what hit it though (going with Mortar as it's almost straight down myself), as according to translated texts, they were on low alert watching over a refugee area and the ZBL92 was the first target hit without any warning before a fight broke out, and some other areas involved show signs of obvious low angle rocket hits.

From the scene

ioYYpKO.jpg

oQUUzQG.jpg

You.... Do realize Lightning posted about this exact variant 4 posts above me right? he probably knows more about it then I can say.