Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace and Ordnance discussion/news.

Belesarius

Allways amusing to read on how limited access to chips due to sanctions would prevent guided weapons to be built , folks have no clue that most electronic components used in military gear use 80's 90's era chips that might no be limited to latest and greatest in chip manufacturing tech and companies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A very unique Sabre, this is a CAC Avon Sabre built in Australia that was apparently loaned to the RAF at some point to test the Firestreak (at this point under the 'Blue Jay' designation) missile.

The firestreak, like many early heat seeking missiles, was absolutely massive weighing in at 300lbs.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8643/16014685961_a6e4b37099_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Luftwaffe's roadmap to 2040 :

• 2023: NGF apparently renamed NGWS (not sure what the acronym stands for?) and start of the 1B phase
  • 2028 : First delivery of the F-35A to the Luftwaffe
  • 2032 : Eurofighter modernization
  • 2040 : Integration of the F-35 within the FCAS bubble and the NGF/NGWS in particular

The last point is potentially a new major difficulty for the program :

Integration of the F-35 within the FCAS bubble is of course a good idea in itself and if it is merely making sure that the F-35 can communicate (Link 16 STANAG or something equivalent) with the other systems of the FCAS then this is fine.

But if a deeper integration is intended it may require to share the source code of the NGF/NGWS with LM (no way that it will be the other way round). Given that the NGF is intended to be a part of the French nuclear dissuasion ... well France will obviously flat out refuse to share the code with the US.

Wait and see how deep the Luftwaffe want this integration to go.

• 1 month later...

So I was on my end of year/ New Years trip in central Florida visiting family, when we spotted some MiG in my home town. My brother said it’s been there for 3 or so years. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to make spoilers on the site from my phone, so I’m only gonna post some of the photos to save on scrolling: 

arKaTVj.jpg

p2ZJiOc.jpg

LkuQ3qF.jpg

yfWKRpJ.jpg

NpiLOs1.jpg

My brother says it’s a MiG-21 trainer, but I’m curious how the hell it ended up in Florida, and where it came from. Any of these markings help identify her? 

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

Any of these markings help identify her? 

No idea about the technical markings in cyrillic but the text in blue on the last picture is in Polish. No other language remotely looks like that (google translate say it mean something like Burnt residues emissison).

Best bet to identify it would be the squadron emblem seen on the first picture. Didn't managed to find that specific one but that bird seem to be a common theme for polish squadrons:

Spoiler

no.-306-city-of-torun-polish-fighter-squ698px-317th_Polish_Fighter_Squadron.svg.1024px-308th_Polish_Fighter_Squadron.svgPSP_Dywizjon_306.jpgNo.317_(POL)_Sqn.png

40 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

No idea about the technical markings in cyrillic but the text in blue on the last picture is in Polish. No other language remotely looks like that (google translate say it mean something like Burnt residues emissison).

Best bet to identify it would be the squadron emblem seen on the first picture. Didn't managed to find that specific one but that bird seem to be a common theme for polish squadrons:

Reveal hidden contents

no.-306-city-of-torun-polish-fighter-squ698px-317th_Polish_Fighter_Squadron.svg.1024px-308th_Polish_Fighter_Squadron.svgPSP_Dywizjon_306.jpgNo.317_(POL)_Sqn.png

Appears to be very similar to that first emblem. Is that associated with a particular squadron or just a generic portrait? 

Found it by searching for the aircraft's number :

0255494.jpg

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/255494/9297

It belonged to the 41st Tactical Squadron (the emblem of the squadron has apparently nothing to do with the one on the plane) :

41-Pulk-Lotnictwa-Mysliwskiego-Malbork-1

MiG-21 UM operated by the squadron between 1963 and 2003 if Wikipedia is right.

Thanks, now all I gotta figure out is who brought it from Poland to some rural Florida parking lot. The building she’s in front of is abandoned, so no one to ask right there. I’ll just post the rest of the pictures I took. Apologies for no spoilers. 

E6Ey92s.jpg

G8k1cp6.jpg

G0cZ7Ib.jpg

hWezPmH.jpg

JzJbi8Q.jpg

OusLQLL.jpg

AvlzMlx.jpg

dKdOIqH.jpg

hWP6Owa.jpg

7yIT7ls.jpg

v05znYN.jpg

@Żółć, a lot of these are instructions? “This goes here” “That goes there” “Don’t smoke near the gas tank, dumbass”? Also, interesting they kept the Russian instruction plates on the parachute hatch, wheel well, and instructor’s seat, instead of replacing them with Polish. 

On 12/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, Lord_James said:

Thanks, now all I gotta figure out is who brought it from Poland to some rural Florida parking lot. The building she’s in front of is abandoned, so no one to ask right there. I’ll just post the rest of the pictures I took. Apologies for no spoilers. 

E6Ey92s.jpg

G8k1cp6.jpg

G0cZ7Ib.jpg

hWezPmH.jpg

JzJbi8Q.jpg

OusLQLL.jpg

AvlzMlx.jpg

dKdOIqH.jpg

hWP6Owa.jpg

7yIT7ls.jpg

v05znYN.jpg

@Żółć, a lot of these are instructions? “This goes here” “That goes there” “Don’t smoke near the gas tank, dumbass”? Also, interesting they kept the Russian instruction plates on the parachute hatch, wheel well, and instructor’s seat, instead of replacing them with Polish. 

The inscriptions on the plating are mainly information about the components underneath, and partly instructions. The first one says "after hooking up the tank to the lock check the size of the lever overlap behind the electromagnet sector 2.5+0.5mm". The next inscription visible in Polish is "NP-27 emergency pump", the inscription in the next photo is illegible to me. The penultimate photo is, in turn, going from the top: "the afterburner chamber mount"; "attention, the shaft is to be screwed in 10mm deep from the face of the sleeve"; "the nozzle hydro jumper wires". The caption in red from the last photo reads "start-up DC current". The other inscriptions, going from the top, read: "brake flap mount"; "oxygen supply reducer"; and, I think, "brake flap tractor".

• 5 weeks later...

Falcon ARCHANGE (Avions de Renseignement à CHArge utile de Nouvelle GEnération or intelligence plane using a next generation payload) in test phase :

dassault-aviation-falcon-8x-archange-cur

Spoiler

Maximum speed: Mach 0.9 at an altitude of 15,500 m

Three aircrafts to replace the two Transalls C-160 Gabriel from 2025 

Payload based on innovative technologies (multi-polarisation antennas, artificial intelligence to improve automatic processing) 

Implementation of a ground chaining platform for future crews 

Transatlantic class carrier allowing strategic extensions and autonomies in zone between 2 to 3 times higher than on Transall C-160 Gabriel. 

The connectivity integrated in the CUGE systems will allow near-real time processing in flight and on the ground, but also sharing of this information in the circles of collaborative joint combat (FCAS, SCORPION, intelligence information systems, etc.). 

Deliveries expected in 2025, 2026 and 2028, for the "Dunkerque" squadron of the 105 air base in Évreux.

Three FA8X ARCHANGE are slated to replace the two C-160 GABRIEL SIGINT planes which were in service with the French air force :

Spoiler

French_C160_replacement.jpg

GABRIELs collected intelligence on Russian activity around the period when Ukraine retook snake Island and when the Moskva was sunk before being retired from service in may 31st 2022.

Part of their mission was taken over by Beechcraft King Air 350 VADOR (Vecteur Aéroporté de Désignation, d'Observation et de Reconnaissance) from the 10th of june :

Spoiler

05_French%20Air%20and%20Space%20Force%20

VADOR (2 out of 7 delivered)

Credits to @Bechar06 and @Hirondelle on AD.net as well as this article

• 1 month later...

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/1116672.html

Recently, an exhibition of achievements of the aviation of the ground forces of the Iranian Army was held in Iran. Among other things, various night vision devices, optoelectronic stations, a laser warning station, communications equipment, and other types of equipment, as well as guided weapons that are used in the modernization of army aviation helicopters, were demonstrated.

In principle, everything already known was shown, but for example, they told the performance characteristics of Heidar light cruise missiles that were developed to arm UAVs and helicopters.

7079703-original.jpg

Spoiler

7079342-original.jpg

7081706-original.jpg

Heidar cruise missile
Length - 3.7 m
Weight - 60 kg
Speed up to 500 km/h
Range up to 200 km
Television \ thermal imaging seeker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...