Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace and Ordnance discussion/news.

Belesarius

So I have approval from my boss to write an article for TFB on the A-10.

How buttmad do you think people will be if I post something about how we should retire it?

Are you going to write an article about how the GAU-8 fulfils all of the requirements for a effective small arms?

Or how the terminal ballistics in human tissue aren't really all that impressive, all things considered?

Interesting article on CFTs for the Superbug.  Some of the discussion in the comments is very interesting.

http://navy-matters.blogspot.ca/2016/08/super-hornet-conformal-fuel-tanks.html

The claims about drag seem reasonable.  The figures I had seen for the F-15 showed negligible increase in subsonic drag, but a significant increase in supersonic drag (although still less than a pylon tank).  Subsonic and supersonic drag work so differently that it's entirely reasonable that a change could have little effect on one, or even improve it, but degrade the other.

Bill Gunston and Mike Spick were rather critical of 3rd and 4th generation fighter aircraft design.  Why bother with fancy variable geometry intakes, delta wings, and area ruling when all that does is degrade the fighter in subsonic flight where it spends 99% of its time?  It was an interesting argument, and a moot one now that fighters can supercruise.

So China will supply the engine, avionics, and fuselage, while Ukraine supplies the... blueprints?  That sort of deal?

Yeah, i suspect that Ukraine will just find some Soviet docs under layers of dust and China will actually build that plane or some version of it.

Turkey's aviation industry has designed its first turbojet engine:

This is a significant, but small step.  There aren't that many countries that can manufacture gas turbines, and of those there are several, highly developed countries even, that can manufacture but not design their own gas turbines (e.g. Sweden).

So Turkey is moving towards belonging to the exclusive club of countries that can design and build jet engines.  Turkey has had licenses for a number of GE gas turbines for a while, including the J79 and (if memory serves) the F110 as well.

But this is a small step.  In addition to being cute and tiny, this engine isn't very efficient.  Specific fuel consumption is about 50% higher than for a J85, for instance.  Clearly, Turkey has much work to do if they wish to build top-notch gas turbines.

New South Korean Air-to-ground "Tank Sniper" missile (light-medium ATGM, also called Light Armed Helicopter Air-to-Ground Missile (LAH-AGM)), shown at DX Korea 2016.

3545213_original.jpg

Tandem HEAT warhead is still in development. Guidance system on those missiles use 2 modes - TV guidance mode (via cable like some Spike missiles) and thermal imager in fire and forget mode. Missile stats - 35 kg, 1.7 meter long ~150mm caliber, up to 8 km range.

3545404_original.jpg

KAI/Airbus Light Armed Helicopter that will use those missiles

3545644_original.jpg