Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

2 hours ago, Newtonk said:

Another interesting feature are the panels on the hull sides; is that to strengthen the hull or some basic armour?

I believe that test vehicle has its extra armor removed, compare the hull side on it to this M109A7.

v81t7Jc.jpg

Also, is the turret bustle extended, too?

Yes, the autoloader.

A notional representation of which.

The position from which the medium-range cruise missile was launched on the San Nicholas Island. Let me remind you that the United States officially left the INF Treaty on August 2, 2019, and this satellite image was taken on January 5, 2015, which can be easily checked using the Google Earth application.

Coordinates - 33.259053, -119.572169 (Source twitter ilax202).

fs8RfRP.jpg

16 hours ago, Ramlaen said:
13 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

fs8RfRP.jpg

Ground launched Tomahawk happened.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/703577/dod-conducts-ground-launched-cruise-missile-test

edit: bigger picture

zG3mPko.jpg

So the Russians were right when they complained about the land aegis system capability to launch land attack cruise missiles. Great... what a world we live in

2 minutes ago, barbaria said:

So the Russians were right when they complained about the land aegis system capability to launch land attack cruise missiles. Great... what a world we live in

I suspect INF was not satisfying for all sides of that treaty for some time and all sides had some form of tests of equipment/weapon systems to insure they can get out of INF with something already brewing or in ready configuration to take advantage of INF not being followed by anyone.

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I suspect INF was not satisfying for all sides of that treaty for some time and all sides had some form of tests of equipment/weapon systems to insure they can get out of INF with something already brewing or in ready configuration to take advantage of INF not being followed by anyone.

This seems reasonable enough to assume.  China not being a part of the treaty and developing a number of relatable missile systems of their own was probably cause enough for the US to consider messing with GLCMs again

6 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

That isn't an Aegis Ashore.

Its a VLS so easily integrated into AEGIS ashore, i think that was his point. AEGIS ashore obviously has a problem because its not mobile so its actually not to well suited for this kind of weapon allthough it has some capabilities to defend itself.

27 minutes ago, Mork said:

Its a VLS so easily integrated into AEGIS ashore, i think that was his point. AEGIS ashore obviously has a problem because its not mobile so its actually not to well suited for this kind of weapon allthough it has some capabilities to defend itself.

I'm aware of the claim being made. The fact of the matter is Aegis Ashore cannot fire Tomahawks, it would be a poor platform to launch Tomahawks from and it would undermine its strategic value if it was modified to be able to fire Tomahawks.

16 minutes ago, skylancer-3441 said:

article on AUSA 1987 exhibition, published in International Defense Review 1987-12

[...]

separately photographed pics

Spoiler

XbPU3Hml.jpg

d4AJHET.jpg

[...]

EB1e_k5W4AEOpRL?format=jpg&name=small

EB1e_kYXYAErR6o?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EB1e_l6WkAAAsYe?format=jpg&name=small

EB1e_lYXUAATNhh?format=jpg&name=4096x409

article (in german) on AUSA 1987 exhibition, published in Wehrtechnik 1988-01

[...]

Spoiler

EB5om7HXsAATfC-?format=jpg&name=large

EB5ooZXWsAALv_V?format=jpg&name=small

[...]

EB1iJQOXoAAhXJO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

article on AUSA 1988 exhibition, published in International Defense Review 1988-12

[...]

Hide contents

ECuBTCUXYAAzyGN?format=jpg&name=4096x409ECuBTDCW4AU65s5?format=jpg&name=small

ECuBTD0WwAElXd0?format=jpg&name=4096x409ECuBTEmXkAAxl06?format=jpg&name=small

View on new North Korean high caliber MRLS. Very likely to be guided missile, which makes it something inbetween long range MRLS and ballistic missile like Iskander.

5B2nq.jpg

Unusual fins, reminds me Ataka ATGM rear fins.

Spoiler

KcVui.jpg

5 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

That thing begs for a GPS/Glonass guided round! It would be a fantastic support weapon! (It already is, but it would be even better) Could be massively useful in Syria. 

It was already used there, probably with laser guided mortar rounds.

6 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Is there a video of Tulpans exploding jihadi scum? 

No, nothing other than some of remains of different 240 mm rounds (including one that SAA usually don't use) and rumors it was in Syria.