Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

@Scolopax

Today i was close to Artillery museum and decided to have a look at that vehicle you posted. Sadly museum was closed at the time i got to it, on top of a fact that vehicle is located on closed part of exhibition, so decided to walk around it and try to see what was inside. I didn't planned to get there, so had only my old phone with me instead of good camera. After looking at sat. photos i can see one place from which we could get out eyes on area where that vehicle was located, but i don't thing anything more informative will be achived. Although there is another interestng thing i found out.

jKBcx74.jpg

Was in this fortress with friend, visiting some museums. Decided to go to Artillery museum nearby to have a look. Photo from place near Artillery museum.

Spoiler

kTXsRw9.jpg

Western side was blocked by zoo and near museum everything was behind fence, i mean everything.

nlNEO9V.jpg

Several meters closer to museum this is what you see.

YCq30oY.jpg

So Western side was no go, me and friend decided to try to see where we can get closer on the right side.

SWIQLwO.jpg

Entrance to rear exhibition area. Some vehicles were barelly visible from here.

zwMiEPQ.jpg

We decided to go to other side of canal, as there was a small footpath visible.

bQnOwTj.jpg

View on previous place from other side of the canal

MPKCsyE.jpg

This is what you can see on that bank. Trees, shitty road and random lovers.

2eSgmwy.jpg

And abandones houses being slowly consumed by vegetation.

4GSwn9p.jpg

Some vehicles that were visible from one of breaks in trees and bushes. Nothing super secret about those vehicles, maybe other than S-300 looking AA system on the left.

Sex9K8G.jpg

It was hard to see, if i had my camera photos would give more information than my eyes on the site.

4QhNPLI.jpg

We continued to walk around.

8cIC3Gb.jpg

Heh, spotted something unusual looking.. hey, is this Dana SPG?

So i checked google maps and didn't saw it on them. Something relatively new, looks like. After some quick searching it appears yes, this is late 2017-dated change - Dana SPG that was captured during 2008 august war with Georgia was moved here. 

http://www.petrogradnews.ru/news/2017-11-07/unikalnye-obraztsy-krupnoy-boevoy-tekhniki-dostavili-v-muzey-artillerii/#ad-image-4

https://ru-artillery.livejournal.com/469237.html

KUnz4FR.jpg

g9T0Jtk.jpg

qKmPdfL.jpg

Baa3RBd.jpg

amykB6Y.jpg

Hatch in turret side (on the right side) - for ammunition

MhaSIQ9.jpg

L6oggKV.jpg

49 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

@Scolopax

Today i was close to Artillery museum and decided to have a look at that vehicle you posted. Sadly museum was closed at the time i got to it, on top of a fact that vehicle is located on closed part of exhibition, so decided to walk around it and try to see what was inside. I didn't planned to get there, so had only my old phone with me instead of good camera. After looking at sat. photos i can see one place from which we could get out eyes on area where that vehicle was located, but i don't thing anything more informative will be achived. Although there is another interestng thing i found out.

Nice of you to try and find it, guess next time you'll have to take an acetylene torch along.  I don't suppose the museum staff/curator would know anything about this particular vehicle in question.

7 hours ago, heretic88 said:

BTW, why dont they use the (semi)autoloader? Much better, safer and faster than lifting those 46kg shells manually. Almost all videos featuring the Giatsint, they load the gun by hand...

I was wondering the same thing.  Perhaps they were training for the scenario in with it did not work, or maybe they just felt particularly inclined to exercise a bit more.

21 hours ago, Scolopax said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Perhaps they were training for the scenario in with it did not work, or maybe they just felt particularly inclined to exercise a bit more.

Thats the only logical explanation.

Anyway, here is a video with the loader in use. This isnt a real autoloader, since it still requires two guys to load the shell and charge trays, (one loads the shell on the left side, another loads the charge on the rigth side) but their job is probably far easier, no need to lift the heavy shell, just slide it from the conveyor to the tray.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, LoooSeR said:

I suspect INF was not satisfying for all sides of that treaty for some time and all sides had some form of tests of equipment/weapon systems to insure they can get out of INF with something already brewing or in ready configuration to take advantage of INF not being followed by anyone.

heh, following on that, now on Russian side.

Curious launchers of the Iskander-M are recorded on a satellite image of the Kapustin Yar test site. Machines in length are more than a meter longer of serial 9P78-1 TEL of the Iskander complex. Perhaps the picture shows the first batch of launch complexes of a new modification of the 9M729 missile with an increased flight range (more than 500 km.), Intended for the rearmament of the 448th missile brigade (Kursk)

wkcN6pk.jpg