Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

On 11/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, LoooSeR said:

Hide contents

9pdWBPD.jpg

Do I see right that the BAZ has double wishbone independent suspension? Pretty rare to see that on a heavy truck. I just somehow don't understand why an excelent off road suspension is combined with an anti-off road layout of the whole vehicle (the front overhang mainly). 

5 minutes ago, Beer said:

Do I see right that the BAZ has double wishbone independent suspension? Pretty rare to see that on a heavy truck. I just somehow don't understand why an excelent off road suspension is combined with an anti-off road layout of the whole vehicle (the front overhang mainly). 

I suspect reason for overhang cabin is height restriction and balance of whole installation in mind. Shitty roads could be bad enough to require capable suspension but not so demanding to cabin design (except height, *Insert Pantsir laying on the side picture*).

2 hours ago, Beer said:

Here you can see some testing, although a 6x6 version. (btw, 8x8 was originally considered for Pantsir. Using Kamaz instead of BAZ was a huge mistake!)

36 minutes ago, Beer said:

I guess it's becaue of the lower cost in case of using a common Kamaz and the fact that Pantsir is not supposed to travel alongside the field units. 

Kamaz used for Pantsir is not common. I posted  translation of article about it in cars thread, those KamAZ trucks are lego vehicles with a lot of foreign parts. Not sure about price either. Note - Pantsir are supposed to cover big AA systems like S-400, which use BAZ trucks, so using non-BAZ vehicle is fucking up standartisation of parts/service, logistics and training.

51 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Note - Pantsir are supposed to cover big AA systems like S-400, which use BAZ trucks, so using non-BAZ vehicle is fucking up standartisation of parts/service, logistics and training.

Also it screws up the mobility of the whole system. Most components of S-400 use MAZ heavy trucks with extreme offroad mobility (for wheeled vehicles). Some other components use BAZ trucks, with less, but still good mobility. Now you add the Kamaz, which is mostly bound to roads. Not a nice combination.

Ground forces of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation completed rearmament to the Iskander operational-tactical missile system. This was reported on the website of the Ministry of Defense.

On Friday, November 22, at the Kapustin Yar training ground, the personnel of the missile units of the Western Military District were solemnly handed the Iskander operational-tactical missile complex brigade set. After that, all active missile formations of the Ground Forces will be equipped with these systems.

Not directly related to news:

KMW, MBDA, Diehl and Roxel are working on a new rocket/missile for the Italian, German and French M270

https://forcesoperations.com/wp-content/uploads/Un-projet-europ%C3%A9en-pour-muscler-le-LRU_001-640x480.jpg

https://forcesoperations.com/un-projet-europeen-pour-muscler-le-lru/

Goal is to improve the range to 150-300 km with hopes to be able to achieve a 500km range.

It is possible that the missile will be a component of the Common Indirect Fire System in 10 to 15 years.

49 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

Goal is to improve the range to 150-300 km with hopes to be able to achieve a 500km range.

That's surprisingly low, considering how the US PrSM is supposed to exceed 500km in a similar package size (2 to a MLRS pod). Perhaps the Euro missile carries a larger warhead.

29 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

That's surprisingly low, considering how the US PrSM is supposed to exceed 500km in a similar package size (2 to a MLRS pod). Perhaps the Euro missile carries a larger warhead.

Well the article said that talks between the industrials barely began a few weeks ago, so both the design and the requirements are probably not frozen yet.

Wait and see I guess.

Edit:

Though looking at the render I found for the PrSM here (no idea if it is up to date) and comparing it to the mock up presented, maybe that new missile is supposed to be more manoeuvrable and take more complex trajectory than the PrSM which would require more fuel reducing the range on a size by size basis:

Spoiler

https://asc.army.mil/web/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LRPF-design-concept-1.jpg

https://forcesoperations.com/wp-content/uploads/Un-projet-europ%C3%A9en-pour-muscler-le-LRU-640x427.jpg

A new test of the North Korean "high caliber rocket weapon"

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/876252.html

This time, during a test firing conducted on November 28, according to South Korean data, two fired rockets reached 380 km range, and a maximum height of 97 km., they were launched with an interval of only 30 seconds. For comparison, during the first two tests of this system on August 24 and September 10, rockets were launched with an interval of the order of 15-19 minutes, and during the tests on October 31, the interval was 3 minutes.

Screengrabs from TV footage:

YxeGrFv.jpg

Spoiler

8P95oo0.jpg

Older photos of this system:

3457722_original.jpg

Spoiler

SfLVbMD.jpg

Ec828GB.jpg

DGBWLNh.jpg

Last "Oka" system TEL, photos linked on otvaga

October 27, 1989. 189th missile brigade in Stankovo. Under the INF agreement, the last launcher 9P71 of the Oka operational-tactical missile system was eliminated. On board the BAZ-6944 are murals of military personnel who dismantled the equipment.
   Photo from the archive of Alexander Dyakov

UL1XjQJ.jpg

Spoiler

dyiYncq.jpg

Oka system launcher vehicle and half-rised missile

nD4oNj1.jpg