Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Anti-air thread: Everything that goes up must come down, and we'll help you go down

Bronezhilet

• 3 weeks later...

ONERA confirm working on laser anti-Satellite (400-700 km altitude) weapons and having successfully blinded one old satellite about to be retired.

Since kinetics weapons generate a lot of debris they are viewed as a last ditch weapon, and they hope to be able to develop a laser weapon capable of permanently disable a satellite optics or solar panels.

This laser would be based on adaptive optics technology developed during the 80s , main advantage being that such weapon could be used even in poor weather conditions.

Main disadvantage being that this is mostly useless against anything that doesn't rely on optical systems.

Sorry for being almost a day late with it. This is the I-Dome. A completely independent and mobile Iron Dome system with 10 interceptors.

Together with the Drone Dome, this system will become known as the Gideon's Shield (because it was devised under the Gideon multi year plan), and will enter service in the IDF soon. Its structure is not yet revealed - whether it will be deployed in numbers per battalion, or as an element within a specific battalion per brigade, is unknown.

Also said in the video that the US is interested in this version as well, and not only the static version.

https://www.army.mil/article/223406/army_holds_sense_off_for_patriot_radar_replacement

The Army completed on Monday an almost three-month-long capabilities demonstration of prototype radars aimed at replacing the one currently used by Patriot missile units.
-
The plan is to field the new radar to the first Patriot battalion by the 4th quarter of fiscal year 2022, Young said. Eventually 15 battalions will be fielded by the end of FY 2031

The first five MSHORAD prototypes are on schedule to be delivered to the Army for testing beginning in October

The U.S. is currently negotiating with Israel for a contract to purchase two batteries of the Iron Dome system.

https://saidpvo.livejournal.com/851537.html

Looks like something new with Derivatsiya - they added "-SV" to it.

57 mm SPAAG 2S38 "Derivation-SV"

48108819462_a6028db605_b.jpg

Spoiler

48108819252_1db77fb362_b.jpg

5P60E "Vityaz" AA system TEL vehicle

48108818822_876f8c328f_b.jpg

Spoiler

48108750818_c80c88bd0f_b.jpg

48108752488_3bf36e1340_b.jpg

9K317ME Viking - 9A317ME TELAR (basically export Buk M3)

48108748283_d2c094fcb7_b.jpg

World premiere - 9A383E launcher, attached to the 9K317ME Viking anti-aircraft missile system (SAM) for expanding the capabilities of the complex in terms of the range and height of aerodynamic and ballistic targets. TEL vehicle is armed 9M83ME AA missiles, unified with air defense systems "Antey-2500"

48108705381_eb4d644927_b.jpg

Spoiler

48108747678_985a0c5f83_b.jpg

48108747518_2faea50239_b.jpg

48108747338_1850aca7b3_b.jpg

"Antey-2500" long range SAM

48108700136_1a732f686d_b.jpg

Spoiler

48108742718_e06ba0d9cb_b.jpg

Tor-M2DT in desert camo

48108743293_b83612692a_b.jpg

Some radars

Spoiler

48108743578_ab59a599e2_b.jpg

48108811102_729b253a2e_b.jpg

Not sure if radar or jammer:

48108701721_cc206200be_b.jpg

And some actual jamming and EW vehicles. Krasukha-2

48108696861_c746129dcb_b.jpg

Rtut'

48108696726_ca7dbe68a4_b.jpg

16 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

These are better than nothing but are still amusingly low energy and sad.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not cause you just sounded a lot like some Ruski troll I encounter a lot on defense sites, but yeah. It kinda is sad.

That low velocity gun is not going to be too useful especially considering how poorly the guns on the Pantsirs perform versus targets larger even than what this system is supposed to counter. 

It will be somewhat more useful in self defense because these things will have to be dangerously close to AFVs to actually protect them, because those Stingers are not going to fly far. Even the Hellfires, because of their low velocity.

But it's interim so I cannot complain. I want to repeat again the claim, albeit unfounded, on an Israeli media network's video about Rafael's I-Dome, that the US is interested in that system.

It's great, but not perfect. It too needs a weapon to counter drones and for that I think a laser must be placed on the same truck, even if it makes the whole thing larger.

The Ministry of Defense will procure the Sosna air defense missile system to replace the Strele-10

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation made a decision to purchase the newest Sosna anti-aircraft missile system to replace the early modifications of the Strela-10 complex. This was reported on Monday by the holding "High-precision complexes" (included in Rostec), developed the air defense system to TASS.

“The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation made a principal decision on the procurement of the Sosna air defense system to replace the early modifications of the Strela-10 complex. The new air defense system passed all types of tests. The final configuration of the air defense system and the choice of chassis depend on the customer,” the holding said.

The company said that due to the presence of an optical-electronic system with a missile guided by a laser beam, the "Sosna" is capable of striking all types of aerial targets, while remaining virtually invisible to the enemy. "This is in line with the current trend in the development of military air defense assets," the company noted.

As reported in the "High-precision complexes", the modernization of "Sosna" continues. “At the Army-2019 International Military-Technical Forum, which opens on June 25, the Sosna will be presented on the more modern BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicle chassis, which simplifies its maintenance in motorized rifle divisions. Also, it is possible to mount this combat module on any chassis capable of carrying 3.5 tons ".

I'm not sure about laser beam guidance being "invissible" for modern systems.

wWDoX.jpg

S-500 "Prometheus" is ready for mass production

The main characteristics of the newest Prometheus S-500 air defense system were confirmed during the tests. It is ready for mass production. This was stated by the Minister of Industry and Trade of Russia Denis Manturov.

According to him, the development of the system reached the final stage. At the moment, the system is being worked out in the complex. “In the course of testing, the main characteristics were confirmed, and the SAM is ready for serial production,” the minister told Interfax.

According to Manturov, the work is proceeding according to the plan, and the first samples of the S-500 Prometheus will go into service on time.

18 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I'm not sure about laser beam guidance being "invissible" for modern systems.

Of course it is a lie. But on the other hand, Sosna is completely immune to all imaginable kinds of jamming, fully passive so the attacked plane detects only the missile launch or the guidance laser (IF equipped with such systems, else the first sign is the explosion of the warhead). Stealth is also worthless. Also, if the operator is smart, he launches the missile only when the target is in the NEZ (no escape zone), then even if the aircraft detects the launch, it is in a massive trouble.

So yes, Sosna is quite scary stuff!

BTW, what I find quite funny, is that russian air defence troops get everything they want despite the not insignificant cost of modern systems, and the development of AD systems goes quite smoothly. In addition their equipment is amongst the best (if not the best!) in the world. At the same time, army struggles with everything, they didnt even get simpler stuff like BMP-2M Berezhok, and only getting hopelessly obsolete trash like T-72B3 or BMP-1AM.

1 hour ago, heretic88 said:

Of course it is a lie. But on the other hand, Sosna is completely immune to all imaginable kinds of jamming, fully passive so the attacked plane detects only the missile launch or the guidance laser (IF equipped with such systems, else the first sign is the explosion of the warhead). Stealth is also worthless. Also, if the operator is smart, he launches the missile only when the target is in the NEZ (no escape zone), then even if the aircraft detects the launch, it is in a massive trouble.

So yes, Sosna is quite scary stuff!

BTW, what I find quite funny, is that russian air defence troops get everything they want despite the not insignificant cost of modern systems, and the development of AD systems goes quite smoothly. In addition their equipment is amongst the best (if not the best!) in the world. At the same time, army struggles with everything, they didnt even get simpler stuff like BMP-2M Berezhok, and only getting hopelessly obsolete trash like T-72B3 or BMP-1AM.

Army BMP-2 with Berezhok screenshot was posted in Soviet tanks thread.

Erdogan said that Turkey will start receive S-400 systems in July

“We are starting to receive S-400 from next month. Buying complexes is a sphere of our sovereign rights, so we will not back down on this issue,” he stressed.

Kalashnikov Group (part of Rostec State Corporation) presented the world's most compact rifle to fight unmanned aerial vehicles, reports TASS correspondent from the scene.

“The REX-2 jammer to combat the UAVs is a more compact version of the REX-1 jammer, which has already been successfully operated, including by government agencies. It is the most compact drone jammer in the world, as it is located on the pistol frame” a representative of Zala Aero (part of Kalashnikov), who developed both weapons, told TASS.

“The REX-2 retains all the characteristics of the previous model. Only the form factor has changed” a Zala Aero representative said.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6587014

cpEkjFN.jpg