Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

North Korea, you so crazy!

Walter_Sobchak

10 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Yes, also this:

FQeMq9P.png?1

I need a drink.

If Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman were the only ingredients missing to bring peace to the Korean peninsula, de-nuclearization, and eventual re-unification, ending 75 years of conflict between the two countries, I'll go on record right now and say that everyone in the US State Department associated with our Korean policy needs to be drug out into the streets and publicly flogged.

An actual useful CNN interview with Singapore's Prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/trump-kim-summit-kim-jong-un-wants-to-go-on-to-a-new-path-says-pm-lee

Mr Lee said: "I think (Kim Jong Un) wants to go on to a new path. What he is prepared to deal, and how the agreement can be worked out - well that is a complicated matter.

"I think he has an intention to do something, and that is why he is meeting Donald Trump."

Asked what Mr Trump said about his expectations for the summit, Mr Lee replied that the US President did not say very much, as his officials are still in negotiations with the North Koreans.

"But I think he is looking for a positive outcome and the key thing is he needs to assess whether Mr Kim is serious or not. If he is serious, I think something can be worked out," Mr Lee said.

According to a schedule released by the White House on Monday night, Mr Trump will meet Mr Kim one-on-one, with translators only, for 45 minutes at the Capella Singapore in Sentosa from 9.15am on Tuesday. This will be followed by an expanded bilateral meeting and a working lunch.

Mr Lee expressed his hope that the summit could bring a turn in the chain of events on the Korean Peninsula, a longstanding situation which has trended in a negative direction in the last few years with the North ramping up its testing of nuclear weapons and escalating rhetoric on both sides.

Mr Lee also gave his views on US foreign policy under Mr Trump, which has seen America turning its back on the global order it helped impose and threatening a trade war with China as well as its allies.

Asked about which Donald Trump he had been prepared to meet on Monday, in the wake of Mr Trump's clash with his allies at the G7 summit last weekend, Mr Lee said: "I think it is the same Donald Trump whom I have met on previous occasions.

"He speaks his mind... he has his very firmly-held views on trade, on the way America is being taken advantage of, and the way he wants to make America great again."

As to whether the US is being taken advantage of, Mr Lee recounted how America took a generous approach after World War II with the Marshall Plan in Europe, and maintained peace in the Asia Pacific to allow other countries to prosper, so it in turn could benefit from a stable and prosperous world.

Pompeo: Full de-nuclearization or Bust

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391608-pompeo-summit-will-set-framework-for-denuclearization-negotiations

During a briefing with reporters on Monday ahead of the historic gathering, Pompeo said the “only outcome the United States will accept” is the “complete and verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

“President Trump believes that Kim Jong Un has an unprecedented opportunity to change the trajectory of our relationship and bring peace and prosperity to his country,” Pompeo said.

Kim said through an interpreter: "It wasn't easy for us to come here. There was a past that grabbed our ankles and wrong prejudices and practices that at times covered our eyes and ears. We overcame all that and we are here now."

Aware that the eyes of the world were on a moment that many people never expected to ever see, Kim remarked that many of those watching "will think of this as a scene from a fantasy ... science fiction movie."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/11/asia/rodman-trump-kim-summit-intl/index.html

"I think the fact that Trump would understand that the people of North Korea have a heart, they have soul, charisma, and they love each other," added Rodman.

"I don't want to see that, I want to see it go away... I want to see us get along. Have a smile, have a glass of iced tea. I don't want to worry about the war stuff, I don't know anything about that," he said.

"I'm out of it. I'm so happy just to be here, man, and see the whole world get as emotional as I did. Donald Trump should take a lot of credit because he went out of the box."

Asked about his relationship with Kim, Rodman said the North Korea dictator was "more like a big kid" who "loves to have a good time."

"He was taking selfies and all that," said Rodman of his various meetings with Kim. "This guy wants to be around the world, he wants to go to America."

The former Chicago Bulls star said he tried talking to former US President Barack Obama. "And Obama did not give me the time of day," he said.

Key points of the document signed by Kim and Donald Trump at the end of Tuesday's talks:

1. US and North Korea commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

2. The two countries will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

3. Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, North Korea commits to work towards the complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

4. US and North Korea commit to recovering remains of prisoners of war including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/document-signed-by-trump-and-kim-in-singapore-summit-says-north-korea-will-work-towards

180612073059-trump-kim-summit-signing-do

3 hours ago, Donward said:

Key points of the document signed by Kim and Donald Trump at the end of Tuesday's talks:

1. US and North Korea commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

2. The two countries will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

3. Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, North Korea commits to work towards the complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

4. US and North Korea commit to recovering remains of prisoners of war including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/document-signed-by-trump-and-kim-in-singapore-summit-says-north-korea-will-work-towards

180612073059-trump-kim-summit-signing-do

If all this will become real, it would be really great. 

Yuri Lyamin's take on this summit:

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/737670.html

In general, all statements are "for everything good against everything bad" ,there are many common words and practically no specifics. Since the early 1990s, there were many papers like this signed. And since in this case such paper was signed at the highest level, both sides generally tried to carefully exclude the promises of concrete actions. Otherwise there would be nothing to sign, because they would not be able to agree on them.

2 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

It's pretty similar to the agreements made with the south koreans - no concrete actions of great significance (although repatriating remains from the war is nice), but it's a decent start to a long process.

Pretty much, the significant event was that Kim Jong-un talked directly with the US president.

It could be the start of the process, but as you said, it will take time and given that both sides have shown a tendency to throw their engagement out of the window on their whims I don't know if anything concrete will be achieved in the meantime.

I hope that something will come out of this, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

In the short time, the level of tensions decreased which is always good to take.

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

If all this will become real, it would be really great. 

All these things have been promised by the North before.  It's meaningless.  Trump created this crisis months ago with his "little rocketman" and "fire and fury" comments.  Now, he has "fixed" the situation by giving Kim pretty much everything he wanted out of the meeting with only vague promises in return.  Kim gets the prestige of meeting on camera with the president of the USA, he gets the suspension of US military exercises with South Korea, and he gets to be called “very talented" by the US President.  In return, Kim made vague promises to "de-nuke", and to return some soldiers remains (something they had already been doing,  between 1996 and 2005, joint U.S.-North Korea military search teams conducted 33 joint recovery operations and recovered 229 sets of American remains.)  In fact, the promises Kim made were less far-reaching and less specific than the agreement North Korea signed at the so-called six-party talks in 2005. Then, Pyongyang promised to abandon all nuclear weapons, to return to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and to submit to international inspections.  Basically, Trump got a PR moment and Kim got serious concessions from the US without giving up anything in return. Art of the Deal indeed.  

3 hours ago, Ulric said:

I'm just waiting for the left wing media to turn into complete hawks on the Norks. We will get articles about how we didn't deserve Obama, and that peace and denuclearization is a bad thing.

Oooo, can I go first?  Since hawks always love a good Munich analogy, let me start with this.

trump-munich.jpg?w=680

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

All these things have been promised by the North before.  It's meaningless.  Trump created this crisis months ago with his "little rocketman" and "fire and fury" comments.  Now, he has "fixed" the situation by giving Kim pretty much everything he wanted out of the meeting with only vague promises in return.  Kim gets the prestige of meeting on camera with the president of the USA, he gets the suspension of US military exercises with South Korea, and he gets to be called “very talented" by the US President.  In return, Kim made vague promises to "de-nuke", and to return some soldiers remains (something they had already been doing,  between 1996 and 2005, joint U.S.-North Korea military search teams conducted 33 joint recovery operations and recovered 229 sets of American remains.)  In fact, the promises Kim made were less far-reaching and less specific than the agreement North Korea signed at the so-called six-party talks in 2005. Then, Pyongyang promised to abandon all nuclear weapons, to return to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and to submit to international inspections.  Basically, Trump got a PR moment and Kim got serious concessions from the US without giving up anything in return. Art of the Deal indeed.  

Stop being daft. It's embarrassing watching the American Left openly root for World War III and a failure of the Singapore Peace Summit because they are still frosty that they nominated the worst human being in recent American history to steal the Democratic nomination.

Nothing like yesterday's events have EVER happened in American or Korean history with a face-to-face between and American President and the leader of North Korea.

There has been nothing like the four written agreements listed above - and one verbal promise to begin disassembling the Nork's missile testing facility - because there has never been a direct face-to-face between the leaders of the two countries. It's the Chief Executive of the US directly negotiating with the Chairman of the Democratic  People's Republic of Korea. If you understand Asian culture, that is significant. 

And it was repeated like a dozen times that this was just the first step of many in this process. 

Honestly, if all we get is the repatriation of the remains of American soldiers from the Korean War (something like 6,000-8,000 bodies) that alone is a significant milestone in the peace process. And all it cost was a sit down lunch of braised beef, avocado salad, sweet and sour pork, and ice cream... that the Singapore government paid for in part.

Oh, and the temporary halting of war games with South Korea.

The antics of the American Left leading up to this summit, during, and now afterwards is downright childish and I don't know you guys are going to climb out of the political hole your party is digging right now. 

I was wanting to start an office pool after the Singapore Peace Summit about all the ridiculous ways the Usual Suspects will try to piss in punch bowl.

Trump pledges to end military exercises as part of North Korea talks

But critics are warning that the U.S. president may be giving away too much.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/12/trump-kim-meeting-press-conference-637544

But Trump's vow to halt the military exercises and eventually withdraw troops quickly incensed some military experts and foreign policy hawks who worried Trump was promoting Pyongyang talking points and moving too quickly to give up what they perceive as stabilizing forces in the region.

Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), among the most hawkish senators, told "CBS This Morning" that he did not mind halting military exercises but that "the one thing I would object to violently is withdrawing our forces from South Korea. China is trying to play president Trump through North Korea. ..If we withdraw our forces and that's part of the deal, I can't support the deal. That will lead to more conflict not less."

(Yeah, no one asked you, Lindsay Graham)

Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, voiced concern that Trump had offered up “troubling” statements after his meeting with Kim.

Wow. What a shock! That Lindsay Graham and the Council of Foreign Relations  will be against the Korean peace process. I could have never guessed this response.

And meanwhile, Japan's Prime minister Shinzo Abe is lauding the agreement, particularly the issue of North Korean abductions of Japanese citizens which President Trump said he directly asked Chairman Kim about during their face-to-face meetings.

http://japan-forward.com/did-trump-really-raise-the-abduction-issue-with-kim-jong-un/

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Tuesday, June 12, expressed his thanks to United States President Donald Trump for raising the issue of abducted Japanese citizens in his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore.

“[We] would like to thank the President for raising the abduction issue,” Abe said in a press conference in Tokyo shortly after the Trump-Kim Summit.