Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

North Korea, you so crazy!

Walter_Sobchak

• 2 weeks later...

Worrying:  http://uk.businessinsider.com/north-korea-diplomacy-last-legs-trump-ponders-war-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

"It is not so much that North Korea is shutting down, it’s that the message from the US  government is, 'surrender without a fight or surrender with a fight,'" the official said. Another added that diplomatic efforts are on their "last legs."

10 hours ago, Scolopax said:

Others disagree. I feel your article is over-egging the potential dangers somewhat - a failure to contain a ~200kt explosion will result in the release of measurable quantities of radionuclides and essentially zero health risk, not contaminate an entire hemisphere. You need a lot more energy than that to even begin to come close to a typical volcanic eruption, for example

1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

Answer: When is the next time the Chinese President or Vlad Putin in the US on a state visit? What better way to rub out Rocketman when you have one or the other in town to act as a hostage/guarantee of good faith!

2 hours ago, Donward said:

Answer: When is the next time the Chinese President or Vlad Putin in the US on a state visit? What better way to rub out Rocketman when you have one or the other in town to act as a hostage/guarantee of good faith!

I don't understand why Putin is relevant to North Korean-US relationship.

When he has to go back to WWII and make the claim the Japanese had the right to be in China, the article is shit. Leftist, revisionist garbage, perpetuated by the type of people that made Trump a viable option to the mindset that comes up with this bullshit. 

And on that wonderful note, I'm off to bed. 

“the U.S. and Japan had been on a collision course since the 1920s and by 1940, in the midst of the global depression, were locked in a mortal struggle over who would ultimately benefit most from the markets and resources of Greater China and East Asia.” If one had to explain what the cause of the Pacific War was, that one sentence would go a long way. Atwood continues, “The real reason the U.S. opposed the Japanese in Asia is never discussed and is a forbidden subject in the establishment media as are the real motives of American foreign policy writ large.”

Yeah not because Japan had invaded China and was committing atrocities all over the place.   The pile of dogshit also has the typical Trump the madman is going to start a war 'psychological' bullshit that gets spewed by the idiots who hate the man.

It also implies the Korean war started because of a "sham" election, and forgets to mention the north invading the south was the actual start/cause of the war and had nothing to do with the election. 

Atwood’s brief but powerful article gives one the big picture of the Open Door Policy, while through Cumings’ work, one can learn about the particulars of how it was implemented in Korea during the American occupation of the country after the Pacific War, through the not-free and not-fair election of the first South Korean dictator Syngman Rhee (1875–1965), and the civil war in Korea that followed. “Unimpeded access to the East Asian region” meant access to markets for the elite American business class, with successful domination of those markets an extra plus.

It also talks about the co prosperity sphere being other than japanese subjugation of the whole pacific, like the nations Japan was invading were happy about it.  

You're really going to defend this trash?

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Smedley Butler made the realities of US foreign policy abundantly bloody clear a full decade prior to these events, so yes I'm going to defend it, because it's the truth.....Whether you like it or not.

https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

Bringing up Smedley Butler's book, covering a totally different erra of US foreign policy to counter my quotes is not going to cut it.

We have no idea what his thoughts on the post WWII world would be and I doubt  he would have been happy about a Japanese or communist  controlled PTO. 

Why don't you explain the things I quoted or you know, maybe make your own point, just make sure it's pertinent to the discussion. 

I am one of the resident die hard unrepentant leftists on the board. I'm not even a Yankee.   I'm from Canada, and will argue for universal healthcare and I think Shillary is a moderate Republican.

I want my 5 minutes back after reading that. Talk about a total lack of comprehension of the Korean conflict.

4 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Bringing up Smedley Butler's book, covering a totally different erra of US foreign policy to counter my quotes is not going to cut it.

Part of my issue there is that I really don't get what you are trying to say to refute the points made in the article, your comments to date seem rather more like bluster than any sort of meaningful counterargument.....My reason for bringing up Butler is simple, in his book he clearly points out that the primary aim of US foreign policy is to lay the groundwork for US corporate exploitation, it's the same story world over, you know it, I know it. 

The article does have some good points about a war with North Korea being a bad idea, but kindly glosses over Japanese imperialism, the whole repressive Communist government thing, and various acts of North Korean aggression. Blaming the Korean War on America is insane. Conflating the low level insurgency on Jeju Island with a full scale military invasion by the DPRK is near lunacy. 

The anti-war movement is needed in America, but it is mostly just a bunch of weirdo libertarians and far-lefties that get too much into conspiracy theories and bad understanding of how war works and gets a bad rap. Articles like this one is why they get a bad rap.