Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

The definition of judicial tyranny.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/ct-dc-sniper-sentence-lee-boyd-malvo-20170526-story.html

So the taxpayers of Virginia and Maryland have to retry a guilty as sin multiple murderer who personally shot and killed multiple individuals, including a federal agent if memory serves, because of an activist judge says so.

Continuing on the vein of what it's like to live in an urban center in the Pacific Northwest, here is a diatribe from one of Portland's Alt-Rags about a pair of women who went to Mexico in order to learn how to make really good tortillas and who used that knowledge to open a burrito truck in the Rose City. The women received numerous death threats for this shocking example of race appropriation. And they were forced to shut down their business.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/05/22/19028161/this-week-in-appropriation-kooks-burritos-and-willamette-week

Portland has an appropriation problem.

This week in white nonsense, two white women—Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connely—decided it would be cute to open a food truck after a fateful excursion to Mexico. There’s really nothing special about opening a Mexican restaurant—it’s probably something that happens everyday. But the owners of Kooks Burritos all but admitted in an interview with Willamette Week that they colonized this style of food when they decided to “pick the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever.”

Week after week people of color in Portland bear witness to the hijacking of their cultures, and an identifiable pattern of appropriation has been created. Several of the most successful businesses in this town have been birthed as a result of curious white people going to a foreign country, or an international venture, and poaching as many trade secrets, customs, recipes as possible, and then coming back to Portland to claim it as their own and score a tidy profit. Now don’t get me wrong: cultural customs are meant to be shared. However, that’s not what happens in this city.

Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly. These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise.

People of color are nothing more than an afterthought when the white perpetrators of this tradition continue to do this on a regular basis. While Portland is supposedly a progressive place, super liberal white people usually only have other super white liberal people to answer to—which means this cycle of cultural appropriation will never end until people of color call attention to it.

I say this as a liberal. That's the most retarded bullshit I've read in a long time. I saw that on my FB feed and wrote it off as fake.

Jesus tittyfucking christ, what a bunch of drooling morons.

Might as well shoot anyone who opens a fusion restaurant.

3 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Isn't the pair of white ladies actually progressive feminist lesbians?  Making this another example of the left is beginning to eat itself?

I believe so. Here are the chicks who were the victims of the lynch mob.

dish_KooksBurritos_ThomasTeal_4329.jpg

That's from the original Willamette Weekly story, which was just a generic food restaurant write-up that was churned out in a couple hours.

http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/2017/05/16/kooks-serves-pop-up-breakfast-burritos-with-handmade-tortillas-out-of-a-food-cart-on-cesar-chavez/

They're cute in a Portland sort of way, particularly the gal on the left if you don't mind the ink. But I've lived around these kind of ladies my entire life so my beer goggles might be warped by what was on the menu back when I was still single. 

How about that sexism Portlanders, huh?

4 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I say this as a liberal. That's the most retarded bullshit I've read in a long time. I saw that on my FB feed and wrote it off as fake.

Jesus tittyfucking christ, what a bunch of drooling morons.

Might as well shoot anyone who opens a fusion restaurant.

I agree, fusion restaurant owners should be shot for perpetrating over-priced, trendy, hipster douchebagism onto the foodie public.

1 minute ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

So, it's like grunge never went away there?

In Portland? Yeah. Kind of. It still has its Portland Weird going on.

In Seattle, Grunge is fucking dead and forgotten, erased completely by Amazon tech bros, SJWs and rich, white, Californians.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Isn't one of the arguments for immigration/diversity all the ethnic food?

Yep!  One of the things I absolutely love about Toronto is all the amazing food available.

To me, going to Mexico to learn how to make amazing Tortillas is exactly the opposite of 'cultural appropriation.'

It's appreciating and celebrating food enough to go to the country and to learn how to make it.

Fucking idiots.

53 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Also, IIRC didn't they actually get shut down for other reasons? Like, there was the whole "cultural appropriation" bruhahah, but the actual reason they shut down was something else...

I believe in this case it was simply the lynch mob, death threats, cyberbullying and whatnot. I haven't seen anything reported about them being shut down for other reasons. 

But mentally ill Nihilists murdering passengers on public transit while Portland descends into a furor over white women making tacos pretty much sums up all you need to know about Portland, Ore.

Oh yeah. Apparently there are now street fights taking place in the city where bikers and Alt-right guys are getting into rumbles with Antifa. And are winning.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/05/23/white-supremacists-are-brawling-with-masked-leftists-in-the-portland-streets-homeland-security-is-watching/

ChapmanaSquare_antifa_protest25_SamGehrk

Antifa_MayDayprotestrally_WilliamGagan.j

That's a unicorn trampling a KKK/Nazi embossed with the slogan "Left Wing Cuck Squad".

ChapmanSquareprotestors_SamGehrke.jpg

3 hours ago, Donward said:

I believe in this case it was simply the lynch mob, death threats, cyberbullying and whatnot. I haven't seen anything reported about them being shut down for other reasons. 

But mentally ill Nihilists murdering passengers on public transit while Portland descends into a furor over white women making tacos pretty much sums up all you need to know about Portland, Ore.

Oh yeah. Apparently there are now street fights taking place in the city where bikers and Alt-right guys are getting into rumbles with Antifa. And are winning.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/05/23/white-supremacists-are-brawling-with-masked-leftists-in-the-portland-streets-homeland-security-is-watching/

ChapmanaSquare_antifa_protest25_SamGehrk

Antifa_MayDayprotestrally_WilliamGagan.j

That's a unicorn trampling a KKK/Nazi embossed with the slogan "Left Wing Cuck Squad".

ChapmanSquareprotestors_SamGehrke.jpg

My abiding impression of lefties in the US* is that they completely forgot how to fight around the same time as they drifted away from the unions.

Turns out that dock workers are better at breaking heads than guys with doctorates in cultural anthropology. Go figure.

*Take this with a massive grain of salt, of course.