Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

How to rehost pictures on Imgur

Bronezhilet

So in light of our new, beloved, members, a small explanation on how to rehost pictures on Imgur and post them here.

While different forums have different methods of hosting and showing pictures, I'm going to use Sturgeon's House as an example. And because I'm lazy, I'm going to use the Syrian Conflict topic

There are two ways of saving pictures on SH. One is to right-click on the picture and selecting "Save image as..." (actual text may vary depending on the browser used):

15678a5a41.jpg

The other option is to left-click the picture and click on "Save" at the bottom right of the picture.

a9491b10f4.jpg

This will open the picture in a new tab:

9838502272.jpg

Here you can right-click the image and click on "Save Image As...". After doing so you can choose where to save the picture to. I use a seperate folder for the things I want to rehost. But you can save them wherever you want.

a9472c45c6.png

("Geupload" means "Uploaded", which is where I move the pictures after I've rehosted them)

After saving the picture(s) on your computer, you should go to www.imgur.com. You can choose to make an Imgur account, but you don't have to. Pictures you upload while logged in will be saved on your account so you basically have a library of the pictures you uploaded.

At the top of the page you will see this:

a49e3607bb.png

Click on "upload images".

The following pop-up appears.

8ea4c19796.png

As you can see you can enter image URLs directly, but I don't know how well that works with URLs from forum attachments. Some forums only show attachments when logged in, or have some other bullshit thing where you can't link directly to the attachment.

Click "browse your computer". It opens the file browser at the last location you've uploaded something from. Which in my case is the location where I saved the picture.

b8ec5578c1.png

Select one or more pictures and click "Open". You can select as many pictures as you want.

The pop-up from earlier changes to this:

a96df26f3f.png

You can choose to share the pictures with the community, but that means that everybody who browses Imgur can see the pictures you upload. They are allowed to vote and comment on your pictures. Sharing basically equals people being mean about whatever you upload. I advise against sharing. If you don't share, only people with the direct link can see the picture.

If you want to upload more than one picture, you can choose to put them in an album. I generally don't and just smash "Start Upload".

The pop-up disappears and a new one appears:

acafe7a5b0.jpg

If you upload a bunch of pictures together or in quick succession, you will get a Captcha question you have to answer before the uploads will continue. This can happen in the middle of an upload, so keep an eye on that.

When it's done uploading the page will change to this:

aae1fcc3d1.jpg

If you have uploaded more than one picture, they will appear as a list of pictures.

Right-click the image and select "Copy Image".

7dc5d044ce.jpg

Go back to your post on SH (or go back to it if you already started one). You can either right-click and select "Paste" or click inside the text box and press Ctrl+V to paste the picture.

c80fa05e3a.jpg

The picture will then appear in the text box.

Add some text, or just click "Add Reply" or in case you're making a new topic, click "Post New Topic".

This is the way I rehost pictures on Imgur, and since I'm me, there are probably easier ways to do it.