Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Just now, JeppeFTW said:

does any of you guys have access to the dimensions specifications of the M322/SLPPRJ95 APFSDS rounds? wanna run it through the Lanz-odermatt formula.

As far as i know they are different projectiles. The full length of Slpprj 95 is 955mm (including the case) while IMI´s M322 is 984mm. Those are official numbers.

Just now, alanch90 said:

As far as i know they are different projectiles. The full length of Slpprj 95 is 955mm (including the case) while IMI´s M322 is 984mm. Those are official numbers.

well, i was more looking for length, diameters and frustum length/diameters.

Posted by myself before polish made "new" 120mm Pz."xx" round:

allmVIT.jpg

Ca 620-640mm RHA at 2km slopped 60@ plate , but there are some news -it's two segmented as Pz.541 but this time eacht segment is made from slighty diffrent WHA alloy whit diffrent abilities to overcome diffrent type of armour:

EICpBT3.jpg

In 0. degree RHA plate this round shoud achive at least 530mm RHA:

nDKy7X7.jpg

It's correct  whit statsment about 600mm RHA + (and rummors about up to 640mm RHA) in @60 degree plate couse difrence between infinity 0. plate and ended slopped 60 degree plate is ca 17-20% in achived penetration.

• 2 weeks later...

Has this been posted before? "DM73" is now an official designation 
"Die Leistungssteigerung der KE Munition zur DM73 wird im Jahr 2020 abgeschlossen sein und bietet dem deutschen Heer einen entscheidenden Reichweiten- und Penetrations-Vorteil, zusätzlich erhöht sie die Duellfähigkeit des Kampfpanzers essentiell."

https://www.rheinmetall.com/de/rheinmetall_ag/press/themen_im_fokus/vjtf/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Something interesting I found on M829A4. It weighs a full 3 kilograms more than M829A3. That's a massive difference, considering M829A3 is about 1.3 kg heavier than M829A1.

ZSQpSXD.pngB8rSfBp.png

Edit: I also found this quizlet that seems like it was made for Master Gunner School which lists the muzzle velocity for M829A4 as 1650m/s

https://quizlet.com/130607617/120mm-tank-ammunition-flash-cards/

Edited by Jackvony
More info

• 2 weeks later...

So, a bit older than most of the things in this thread, but @Sturgeon and I noticed something while crunching numbers for the current competition-
GVBfEfz.jpg
If you take the 0 degree penetration of the 90mm HVAP and compare it to APDS, you get that it substantially over-performs according to the Demarre equation. Far beyond what you'd expect as reasonable error from Demarre. A possible explanation occurred to us- The HVAP has a heavy steel base, which on normal impact strikes the core from the rear like a hammer driving a nail, thus substantially raising its effective sectional energy.

shot-h-v-a-p-90mm-t30e16.jpg?w=800

This explanation also goes a long way to explain why it is that HVAP suffers so badly from sloped armor, much more than any other AP ammo type- much like trying to drive a nail at an angle, it skips rather than go in.

29 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

So, a bit older than most of the things in this thread, but @Sturgeon and I noticed something while crunching numbers for the current competition-
GVBfEfz.jpg
If you take the 0 degree penetration of the 90mm HVAP and compare it to APDS, you get that it substantially over-performs according to the Demarre equation. Far beyond what you'd expect as reasonable error from Demarre. A possible explanation occurred to us- The HVAP has a heavy steel base, which on normal impact strikes the core from the rear like a hammer driving a nail, thus substantially raising its effective sectional energy.

shot-h-v-a-p-90mm-t30e16.jpg?w=800

This explanation also goes a long way to explain why it is that HVAP suffers so badly from sloped armor, much more than any other AP ammo type- much like trying to drive a nail at an angle, it skips rather than go in.

For DeMarre, I'd approximate using the mass of the core + 1/2 the base. Even though the base falls off during perforation, the core benefits during initial penetration from the extra momentum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the source for the data on the H6/62 round?  The "maximum chamber pressure" is exceeding the maximum chamber pressure of the L7 gun. IIRC Royal Ordnance tried to sell an improved 105 mm gun, but it still seems a bit too much for that.

2 hours ago, SH_MM said:

What is the source for the data on the H6/62 round?  The "maximum chamber pressure" is exceeding the maximum chamber pressure of the L7 gun. IIRC Royal Ordnance tried to sell an improved 105 mm gun, but it still seems a bit too much for that.

https://www.militariacollectors.network/forums/topic/1116-105mm-apfsds-h662/

13 hours ago, Gun Ready said:

could you please tell where this photo has been coming from? The third from left is showing the DM13 APDS 105 mm x 617, am I right?

The photo was made by someone who collects ammunition as a hobby. The leftmost one is the L15(A4) APDS, next to it is a 105 mm APDS. It is probably a version of the L28 APDS, which was used in Germany as DM13.