Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Celebrities that are now dead

Belesarius

10 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Yeah, that actually upset me a bit.  I liked Bourdain a lot.  He was a cooks cook. Very unapologetically himself. Kitchen Confidential was a great book, and a very real look at what it's like behind the scenes in a busy kitchen.

9 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Yeah, that actually upset me a bit.  I liked Bourdain a lot.  He was a cooks cook. Very unapologetically himself. Kitchen Confidential was a great book, and a very real look at what it's like behind the scenes in a busy kitchen.

Yeah, both his shows were pretty interesting, and it was amusing he got into Jujitzo late in life.

32 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Who's celebrating? I liked the guy's shows, and though he was an interesting dude. 

No. I don't mean celebrating like "Yay, he died". I meant celebrating like the endless sob stories which we are now be treated to by the media because the purse designer or the celebrity chef ended it all. I don't want to get this topic off track though. So I may or may not cobble something together elsewhere. Hopefully the latter. 

Bourdain was legitimately open-minded, like most people who take to world-traveling tend to end up being.

Some people kill themselves because they are legitimately nobodies who made their living doing nothing important, and others...

I don't think Bourdain was the first type. Was he the greatest person ever? No. But I knew very little of him, and he still made an impression on me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I'm going to have to watch Smokey and the Bandit tonight. RIP Burt, you made a hell of a lot of movies I loved as a kid. 

Yep. I loved the heck out of Smokey and the Bandit (and the now admittedly inferior Smokey and the Bandit II). Had the hot wheels and the Tonka toys. (I believe it wasn't Tonka but the other name brand but can't remember). 

Although watching the show as an adult, Jackie Gleason steals the show.

7 minutes ago, Donward said:

Yep. I loved the heck out of Smokey and the Bandit (and the now admittedly inferior Smokey and the Bandit II). Had the hot wheels and the Tonka toys. (I believe it wasn't Tonka but the other name brand but can't remember). 

Although watching the show as an adult, Jackie Gleason steals the show.

Yeah, he has some great lines, and so not PC.

I bet all the stunts were done with actual drivers behind the wheels too!

5 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I had this exact box set.

https://www.ebay.com/i/153045684431?chn=ps

s-l640.jpg

Ertl. This was for Smokey and the Bandit II with the elephant Charlotte (no, it is only a coincidence that my daughter's name is the same...)

So they're asking $700 for it. Truthfully, I'm glad I played the heck out of mine.

9 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

A lot of the stunts were done by Smokey and the Bandit director Hal Needham, who was a professional stuntman. As an example, he was the driver behind the wheel of the Trans Am bridge jump scene (the car got totaled in it).

2 minutes ago, Donward said:

A lot of the stunts were done by Smokey and the Bandit director Hal Needham, who was a professional stuntman. As an example, he was the driver behind the wheel of the Trans Am bridge jump scene (the car got totaled in it).

Oh yeah, you can see that car being totaled when it his hehe

My favorite song from the movie. 

Jerry Reed was rad. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...