Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Celebrities that are now dead

Belesarius

1 hour ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Was he the one going around and finding all the sunken planes and ships?

Yes. And he also had a sizable warplane and tank collection in Everett. In addition to the everything else mentioned.

Also, he donated millions of dollars to take away my 2nd Amendment rights via an anti-gun initiative on the ballot this November. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's been long enough. 

Stan Lee was a hack. I mean Mack Moloney level hack. 

I'm actually glad my parents showed a shocking amount of contempt the one time I bought a comic book. The whole medium is trash in my opinion and now just about all Hollywood makes is trash movies based on trash comic books.  Real heroes don't wear tights and have superpowers. 

Anyway, bring on the hate! :D

3 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

It's been long enough. 

I'm actually glad my parents showed a shocking amount of contempt the one time I bought a comic book. The whole medium is trash in my opinion and now just about all Hollywood makes is trash movies based on trash comic books.  Real heroes don't wear tights and have superpowers. 

But without Stan Lee... WE wouldn't have Spider Man!

And if we didn't have Spider Man... WE wouldn't have Italian Spider Man!!!

On 11/16/2018 at 8:42 PM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

It's been long enough. 

Never wished the man himself ill, but YUUUUUUP.

LLWB (long live wildbow)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Penny Marshall, white nationalist, and star of "Laverne and Shirley" dead

th?id=OIP.NPrC7z_a_kUnxzCiVb_kBQAAAA&w=1

https://newsok.com/article/feed/7966548/actress-and-director-penny-marshall-dies-at-age-75

6194215251642878935_thumbnail.jpg

The Alt-Right oriented show presaged the 2016 election by celebrating two blue-collar Deplorables working a blue-collar job in a brewery in the Trump swing-state of Wisconsin. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A little bit different - a very well known man in USSR/ex-USSR countries that nobody here knows, although some of forum members maybe heard about one of his movies.

Georgy Danelia died.
   Georgy Danelia is a classic of Soviet and Russian cinema, winner of a record number of prizes at international film festivals, a master of lyric comedy. Many of his works entered the golden film fund of Russia.

image656300_b6d9b383aa807dcd13bcc26ac790b1c3.jpg

“Georgiy Nikolayevich Danelia just died from heart failure, the doctors fought for his life,” she said. The film director was 88 years old, lately he was sick. In February, Danelia was brought to intensive care with pneumonia.

Danelia shot 16 full-length films and the last one is “Ku! Kin-Dza-Dza ”, the animated continuation of the film “Kin-Dza-Dza! ”- was released in 2012.

image309231_699ea24335842781b1e68e6479fad7b2.jpg

image309231_5ff1f6598a06db772e58faa3ed076c8c.jpg

Spoiler

image656300_c010c171358b906ca0a2c921ca0fec51.jpg

image656300_50a5cb77b405357e16bf15b104f63dd6.jpg

/.../

Glory came in 1964 with the film "Walking the Streets of Moscow", which beautifully conveyed the mood of “thaw” - lightness and optimism.

/.../

In the era of stagnation, the director's attitude will change. In Athos and the Autumn Marathon, the main characters yearn for restlessness and the fact that life is wasted.

Danelia shot 18 films, five of which - “I walk across Moscow” ("Walking the Streets of Moscow"), “Do not worry!”, “Afonya”, “Mimino” and “Autumn Marathon” - were included into the golden fund of the Soviet, and, according to many critics, world cinema.

To the cult New Year's comedy "Gentlemen of Fortune", he wrote the script.

/.../

"Afonya" in 1975 became the champion at the box office in the USSR. Fantastic dystopia "Kin-Dza-Dza" (1986) became very popular, a lot of quotes from this movie can be heard today, 30+ years later.

/.../

Politically, Georgiy Danelia was inclined towards a liberal human rights movement - he signed appeals in defense of YuKOS lawyer Svetlana Bakhmina, for building a monument to the victims of Stalinism ...

After the Russian-Georgian war in August 2008, he limited himself to the phrase: "I am sorry that I lived to this day."

One of biggest and probably one of the best Sovie filmmaker is gone. Kin-Dza-Dza was probably one of his most sarcastically/ironically deep hitting movie.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

Herman Wouk, author of The Winds of War and War and Remembrance died at the age of 103 today.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/17/468790231/herman-wouk-the-jackie-robinson-of-jewish-american-fiction-dies-at-103

I really liked his books.  I've purchased WoW and WaR three times, the actual books, the kindle version, and just recently on audible.    Great books, and a pretty good history lesson too. I wonder what he thought of this crazy world before he went...  

49 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I really liked his books.  I've purchased WoW and WaR three times, the actual books, the kindle version, and just recently on audible.    Great books, and a pretty good history lesson too. I wonder what he thought of this crazy world before he went...  

WoW, and WaR were both the start of some of my serious interest in WWII and a serious start of my hatred of all thing Nazi.  Very influential books for me.  The tv miniseries for both weren't bad either, from what I remember.  Kind hard to do justice to a couple of books that are pretty vast in scope, but there were some great characters in those books.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...