Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

That image is the only evidence I've seen for the 30mm skirts on IS-3 - there's lots of pictures of museum examples that don't look anywhere near as thick

90 at 60 degrees is still serious side armor, it is almost as much as some IS-2 mod44 version had at the front (100 at 60degr. UFP for one model IIRC).

And i will disagree with Tied, Tiger side armor (upper part) was fine for what it is.

I imagine EE would have something of the like, but how susceptible were T-34s and their floor ammo storage to anti-tank mines?

Most mine/IED kills tend to be close to the first road wheels from what I've generally seen.  Kinda hard on the driver usually.  Center of the tank is usually ok.

I don't think it burned.  Usually when the big cats burned they get this slumped down look because the heat from the fire would de-temper the torsion bars and cause the suspension to collapse (remember, jet fuel isn't hot enough to melt steel beams):

20090906035503!Burnt_out_Panther_AusfG_B

The upper run of the track of the tiger in the picture above looks to still have some tension.