Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Why do you think was the KF41 presented for the first time to public painted in Czech Army camouflage?  ;)

To trick the Czechs into buying KF31s thinking they would get KF41s.

Honestly, with the Czech competition I've only been keeping up on the ASCOD and Puma bids. They seem the most interesting and likely to be selected. 

It's not only about the vehicles themselves but also about the connections with local partners of each companies and of course lobbying connected with that. GDELS has very well establieshed ties with several Czech companies, especially CSG Group (Tatra Defence, Excalibur Army, Retia etc.). The same group of companies has good ties with Izraeli companies like Elbit and Rafael and since Elbit supplies the turret for ASCOD 42 it adds to the equation as well. In that regard KMW, Rheinmetall and BAE are in worse starting position. It's true that Puma excelled in the preliminary army testing over the other vehicles but that was Bundeswhehr Puma, i.e. something very different to what will be in the end offered to Czech army. 

On 9/27/2019 at 5:48 AM, David Moyes said:

To trick the Czechs into buying KF31s thinking they would get KF41s.

Honestly, with the Czech competition I've only been keeping up on the ASCOD and Puma bids. They seem the most interesting and likely to be selected. 

A little patronizing toward the Czechs there - they are far from stupid and I am pretty sure they can tell the difference between Kf31 and Kf41,  In any case, Kf41 is what is being offered,

PUMA = no chance.  I would love a Ferrari but I have a Toyota budget.   Pretty hard to do a cheap PUMA, it is a very integrated beastie.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, Beer said:

It's not only about the vehicles themselves but also about the connections with local partners of each companies and of course lobbying connected with that. GDELS has very well establieshed ties with several Czech companies, especially CSG Group (Tatra Defence, Excalibur Army, Retia etc.). The same group of companies has good ties with Izraeli companies like Elbit and Rafael and since Elbit supplies the turret for ASCOD 42 it adds to the equation as well. In that regard KMW, Rheinmetall and BAE are in worse starting position. It's true that Puma excelled in the preliminary army testing over the other vehicles but that was Bundeswhehr Puma, i.e. something very different to what will be in the end offered to Czech army. 

But there's one problem.

Elbit's UT30MK2 hasn't passed climatic tests for Romanian army. Its FCS is going crazy in low temperature so this problem concerns also a MT30MK2 offered for Czechia. :) :) :) :) :) 

As You probably know we have been using RCWS 30 for years now (even in Baltic missions) and I don't remember there was ever some complain about its performance in winter (maybe they were but it seems to be strange that nothing would surface on public). Anyway it seems that our MOD doesn't put that much importance on low temperatures lately since the winters generally become softer. Lately they ordered AH-1Z and UH-1Y hellicopters. Neither one of them has heated rotor blades (unlike Mil hellicopters we have now) but they don't seem to see it as a problem. 

Driving ban for Dutch Boxer 8x8

Defense immediately imposes a driving ban for the Boxer armored wheeled vehicle. This is done on the advice of the manufacturer. There are problems with the fuse on the upper hatch. Work is now being done on an (interim) solution in consultation with the maker.

A few weeks ago, the 197 Boxers at home and abroad already stepped aside. Even then, the measure concerned problems with the locking mechanism of the hatches.

On the public road, the Boxer must drive with the top hatch open. This is necessary to have a good view of the surroundings while driving.

Commanders may decide to use the Boxer during operations, after careful risk analysis. This means that the Boxers can be deployed during a bet.

https://www.snafu-solomon.com/2019/10/driving-ban-for-boxer-8x8-infantry.html