Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Randall Munroe is an Ignorant Philistine Who Lacks Taste

LostCosmonaut

Look, Randall, I know you don't like beer. Maybe you drank/drink it because you learned to in college. It's OK, it's better to own up to being a bitch than to insist you're not one even though you can't stand any flavors that aren't "sweet" and feel "social pressure" to drink beer.

But some of us actually like beer; I do, and I can prove that I do. How? I have the alcohol tolerance (and figure) of a hippopotamus. A few months ago, I bought a 24 pack of Dos Equis and tried to get drunk on it in the privacy of my own home - I managed "tipsy" for about 15 minutes, and then sobered up. If I were suffering through beer, insisting that I liked it just so I could impress my friends, I wouldn't be downing a beer that's not going to affect me in the least right now; I'd go straight to vodka and just enjoy being drunk (indeed, if I actually want to get drunk, I drunk liquor).

I buy beer that I like. I don't buy beer I don't like. Your tastes are different because you were raised on Froot Loops and Mountain Dew, and that's OK I guess. The International Committee For The Advancement Of Sweet Foods should make you their spokesman. But you don't speak for everyone. Some of us like bitter, sour, hot food, and don't drink Mountain Dew.

Looks like somebody didint spend 4 years in western Czechoslovakia with alot of time and bottle openers on their hands 

People who don't like Czech beers are better off kept in the dark... Or the IPA's...

Shiner makes a grapefruit beer. It's good.

Shiner makes a number of products I rather like.  Whenever I'm visiting kin in Texas, I make it a point to indulge in their products.

Look, Randall, I know you don't like beer. Maybe you drank/drink it because you learned to in college. It's OK, it's better to own up to being a bitch than to insist you're not one even though you can't stand any flavors that aren't "sweet" and feel "social pressure" to drink beer.

Beer can not taste good to somebody for reasons other than an inability to enjoy food if it doesn't provide a dopamine pumping sugary kick to the taste buds. I never could stand the taste of alcohol, so the only beers I find palatable are the really full flavored stuff (I don't like hops on their own merits), so I'll occasionally drink something like a doppelbock. But then again I acknowledge people can like alcoholic beverages.

Beer can not taste good to somebody for reasons other than an inability to enjoy food if it doesn't provide a dopamine pumping sugary kick to the taste buds. I never could stand the taste of alcohol, so the only beers I find palatable are the really full flavored stuff (I don't like hops on their own merits), so I'll occasionally drink something like a doppelbock. But then again I acknowledge people can like alcoholic beverages.

I'm making an informed assumption about Randall, not saying that just because someone doesn't like beer they must have an overpowering sweet tooth.

I don't like over-hopped beers, either, unless the maker is very skilled like Dogfish Head or Great Raft.

I am fortunate to live in the town were this is made.

I had some of that when visiting my Brother in Royal Oak.

it was quite good, while being a bit different. Not my usual thing in beers, I tend to stick with pils or ales, but it was not at all bad.

Looks like somebody didint spend 4 years in western Czechoslovakia with alot of time and bottle openers on their hands 

speaking of which, you guys know all that junk they keep in the stocks of Ak-74s?

im pretty sure they were all bottle openers, or auxiliary bottle openers 

speaking of which, you guys know all that junk they keep in the stocks of Ak-74s?

im pretty sure they were all bottle openers, or auxiliary bottle openers 

Why would you need to keep a bottle opener, on a rifle that is basically made of bottle openers?

Now. With the XKCD comic in question. You can rightly argue with the premise that drinking beer is an acquired taste and thinking that it all tastes bad and we only drink it because of peer pressure. I know a lot of folks that are beer snobs. Seattle is the microbrew capital of the US afterall. 

Now the subtler look at the comic and what I have to ask, isn't Munroe sort of making fun of himself as well? The beer drinker's remark of "Dude, if you don't like it, don't drink it" is perfectly valid. It is the Munroe character who is engaging in the illogical activity of drinking something he doesn't like while being a slightly obnoxious prick about it.

Now. With the XKCD comic in question. You can rightly argue with the premise that drinking beer is an acquired taste and thinking that it all tastes bad and we only drink it because of peer pressure. I know a lot of folks that are beer snobs. Seattle is the microbrew capital of the US afterall. 

Now the subtler look at the comic and what I have to ask, isn't Munroe sort of making fun of himself as well? The beer drinker's remark of "Dude, if you don't like it, don't drink it" is perfectly valid. It is the Munroe character who is engaging in the illogical activity of drinking something he doesn't like while being a slightly obnoxious prick about it.

Yeah, but it's funnier my way.

I have to say "who does not like beer?"..

I've been told I should cut way back, which is basically asking me to cut off a limb. I've had beer since I was five or six...Not a lot, but it's been there.

So when I hear of someone who "hates" beer, I want to know more.

Why would you need to keep a bottle opener, on a rifle that is basically made of bottle openers?

you cant look like you signed up only for the Czech beer and German girls, i think having a half-dissembled ak-74 might send the wrong message to the political officer

until you become the political officer 

I've been told I should cut way back, which is basically asking me to cut off a limb. I've had beer since I was five or six...Not a lot, but it's been there.

I just don't like the taste. It's all sharp edges and not really satisfying. I generally don't even drink many carbonated drinks.

I've never had beer. 

• 1 month later...