Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Collimatrix's Terrible Music Thread

Collimatrix

I've just had to deal with my roommate's filthy deadbeat father.  I am eyeballing my math midterm, and I'm not sure which way is positive and which is negative, but I keep passing the tests.  I aced my philosophy class' first test without having read the textbook.  Russia is cleaning up US foreign policy mistakes with precision bombing in Syria with their de-facto ally Iran which is the US' de-facto ally in Iraq.

Nothing makes any sense any more.  Nothing.

That means it's time for The Kinks.

The Kinks are what you listen to when you aren't sure what is any what is not.  Are they underrated, overshadowed by the Stones and the Beatles, or are they simply a niche confection for people who think that praising the big two British Invasion bands is too unoriginal?  Are they subversive, or completely parallel to the zeitgeist?  Is black really the new up?  Is anything nothing?  What can we know?

• 2 weeks later...

The album has a lot of variety, so it's worth listening all the way through.

I dunno, though, I am not very sensitive to screaming anymore. I won't say I "like" screaming, though - with one notable exception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfa9z8qXkgQ&ab_channel=CosmicAtmosphere

Something about the way Nergal does it. He can manage to growl/scream while still sounding like he's actually singing.

Last year I had a dream of staring out at the baking cityscape from the shelter of a multi-level parking lot. In the sky two clouds, formed into the shape of animals, writhed and fought as the warm, dusty wind howled through the concrete pillars. And I knew, in the logic that comes with dreams, that it would never rain until one animal had killed the other.

Now that that future is here, I present Shadowclub's only halfway decent song:

https://youtu.be/LqC9XRdbRXM?t=62

Ignore the dumb music video and play this thing in the background as the world goes to hell. Better yet, play Deur die Donker Vallei by Valiant Swart, for which no music video exists at all.