Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

Recently, I was having a beer with my good friend, his girl, and my girlfriend. My friend and I had just finished two hours at a climbing gym, and the beer was barrel aged. 

He asked me if I'd figured out the issues with my power supply on my PC. 

Now, let me let you guys in on a little secret. My PC is about ten years old. It's an off-the-shelf HP, bought by my mother as a gift when my Laptop died and I was in the middle of putting together a list of things needed to build a PC. 

It's a good PC. 8 gigs of ram, decent motherboard and good processor. And it's what I'm using to type this post up. 

I've replaced the graphics card with a hand-me-down unit that BARELY fits in the case (Because the case is a proprietary size). I swapped the alloy heat sink unit for the processor at one time, too.

Sometimes, when running games on dismally low settings to obtain that beautifully smooth 20-30 FPS (easier to kill people in Dark Souls 3 when my FPS doesn't vary too much), the power supply says "fuck it" and shits itself. Black screen, no power at all. Total shut down.

I tell my friend, "No, not quite, but I think I know what causes it. Really dark textures and the giant rats tend to kill it-" 

The conversation then turned into an intervention of sorts. My friend and my girlfriend are trying to conspire to get me to toss this computer, and let them build me a gaming rig.

Then my friend's gf even chimes in. "I've heard your computer die, man. It sounds like something blows up." 

And then my friend, "Your computer sounds sickly every time you turn it on, like it's barely hanging on." 

And you too, Girlfriend? "Your computer is so loud. Computers shouldn't make that sound. You know what it's saying? Kill me! Kill me please! but you won't. You're keeping it alive, you sick bastard." 

Again with my friend, "Your computer is so horridly slow, and you're asking it to play DS3? On its wireless card build for Yahoo Instant Messanger? Dude, come on, how long does it take to boot up fully, anyway?" 

Um.. I dunno, ten minutes? Enough time to warm up a cup of tea, which is nice. I like having tea at the computer...

...I've been using a ripped copy of Solidwork since I was too lazy to buy €2.50 for a Solidworks DVD with a university license.

I want a legal copy of Solidworks so get better at it and possibly make a little money off the side, but I can't since Solidworks is fucking expensive.

I bought it because I'm talking with people that want to pay me to use it, so I kind of needed a legit copy, and it should pay for itself after not too long.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I'm gonna put together a list of things needed for a PC build soon. Probably gonna grab the first few pieces at the end of this month. 

Also, I found out my laptop is  from 2007. HP w/ Linux master race. 

What are you looking at for components?

24 minutes ago, Ulric said:

What are you looking at for components?

Cheap and refurbished for most of it. Probably an ASUS motherboard, intel CPU (i3 if I can get a good deal) and whatever's on sale/refurbed for the rest. I'll reuse my GPU. 

Doctor BossMan and I came up with a quick Newegg cart. I can get this price down by going refurbed or shopping around for some of these parts.

RbQ0IOs.png