Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/05/12/khalitov/

Looks like koalitsia is a tarted up T-90, if google translate hasn't failed me. I'd like to know where the thermals on armata are from, if they aren't imported

According to this interview with Deputy General Director of Uralvagonzavod for special equipment Khalitov, T-14 is 100% Russian-made. About Koalitsiya it says that there is unification of parts with T-90, but Khalitov hints about Armata chassis-based Koalitsiya SPG.

Direct link to 6000x4000 photo of the T-14 under interesting angle. 

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6004/8955119.a/0_9c6a7_427de1fb_orig

Here is tinypic link.

2rpy2ww.jpg

Part of driver's work station is visible.

Damian on tanknet posted these:

https://pp.vk.me/c627418/v627418836/84e/Jsp9cywU5Kg.jpg

https://pp.vk.me/c623725/v623725854/339db/eogpIlbIBRQ.jpg

https://pp.vk.me/c627418/v627418836/83a/nOfKwmEHtM0.jpg

and a koalitsia:

http://naforum.zapodaj.net/images/07636400a5ab.jpg

This controlable rotary shock absorber was prototype for testing.

%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81.3.jpg

Basic idea behind it is to decrease hull vibration/oscillations during driving at speed to increase stability of platform and gun accuracy as a result.

I'll have to wait til I get moved in and sorting my books, but I'm fairly sure that is a modernization of an old concept . I've seen a diagram for a controllable rotary shock used on Packards (or another 20's/30's era luxury car) where the valves were controlled via Bowden cables to a dash monuted selector.

If I can find it in a timely manner, will try to post as this looks a lot like that system.

I wanted to post those  :(  :ph34r:

From certain comrade [about T-14's roof]:

"....absolutely. External module will destroy anti-armor projectile, but will be destroyed himself. Then, all that will be stopped by high strength steel roof 80 mm thick. Moreover, the modules can be easily changed and modernized. In fact, the concept of the "ERA" is not appropriate to current protection. It is a composite of ballistic and explosive reactive armor.

Here, somewhere before, people posted an image of placard from the show.))) As always, the most interesting was missed  :)

Layer of protection is special protection material with explosive layer sprayed on the inner side of it. And this layer is very thin. The amount of explosives - small. Traditional "throwing of the plate" [K-5 works like that - it "launch" a plate with power of explosives] does not occur. BUT! a huge part of the explosion energy is transferred into internal energy (vibrations...) to "reflective/deflective plate" [Otrazhaushaya plastina]. Plate is destroyed and the serdechnik [APFSDS projectile] / HEAT jet as well. By the way! The plate is quite resistant to small arms fire. Protection modules can be a single layer - for example, in the VK [as i understood - external hull/Vneshiny Korpus] of the 149, and it can be layered (side armor modules) which give you anti-tandem protection and destruction of the long-rod APFSDS...

The modules of the roof are small, because "krysheboi" [roof-hitters/ top-attack weapons - MLRS submunitions, some ATGMs] are small and not very powerful hitters. But they are - there are many! Overall height of roof modules makes it easy to place a two-layer structure, or fill it with solid ceramics, for example))) concept - "thicker - the better" does not work today so well.

Against the powerful top-attack missiles defense is provided by 'certain' APS only. 4 phased array radars detect all air and ground objects and if it identify them as a dangerous, EW generator and passive interference and so on are used. Although, it is necessary to protect radars themselfs from some EW system - with protective caps [those black ones, i guess]." 

I'll have to wait til I get moved in and sorting my books, but I'm fairly sure that is a modernization of an old concept . I've seen a diagram for a controllable rotary shock used on Packards (or another 20's/30's era luxury car) where the valves were controlled via Bowden cables to a dash monuted selector.

If I can find it in a timely manner, will try to post as this looks a lot like that system.

Only difference is that there were no computers in 1920s-30s  :D

Only difference is that there were no computers in 1920s-30s  :D

There were, they were mechanical, and very very large.

You'd not have found one controlling something as mundane as ride control for a car, rather they were used for things like gunnery prediction for AA or the fire control centers in ships.

So...

If the turret was covered up by a tarp, and then later it was covered up by sheet metal, the sheet metal is basically doing the same thing as the tarp.

Maskirovka continues!

The most revealing thing will be the situational awareness aids for the crew.  We haven't had a really good look at those yet.

Kurganets IFV.

fcs95f.jpg

2wp2zad.jpg

29ymqly.jpg

One thing bothers me - 2 APS launchers are aimed at parts of rear hull (near lights, small vertical metal plates). APS launchers are not real, like at all.

During first stages of Vicotry Parade rehersial in Alabino prooving ground.

t6dugg.jpg

No add-on side armor blocks.

2h6hz76.jpg