Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Don't insult STRONK Russia, Putin is just around the corner.

To me, it seems like we won't see the Armata-based 2S35 until further into the program, maybe serial units.

They already said that Armata-based 2S35 is planned. I am sure that there will be prototypes in the next year.

HbMqL.jpg

Smiling *face*, lol.

VgRzh.jpg

Paint big red eyes on those radars (?).

Looks like they are not. Or not just radar. This ballistic radar is much smaller:

1nJUmK_25xk.jpg

f422f2a7b077537ff6ec962fab112abc.jpg

Maybe they use much more powerfull radars to trac artillery shells on big part of trajectory? IDK.

"Coalition" designer talks about why 1 barrel instead of 2. 1-gun SPG was in work for more than 2 years. And then Zvezda left a """cliffhanger""". Fuck you, Zvezda and this journalist too.

In the end of this video SPG shooting is edited, so don't try to count Koalition's rate of fire.

Zvezda as always - doing stupid things with exclusive allowance to sikrit stuff

"We have modern SPG, let's shoot some melons!"

RoF is higher than 10 shots per minute, no exact numbers. In order to keep gun barrel cool, deigners made special cooling system using sikrit liquids.

Full episode. Fck you, Zvezda, your work is terrible.

2 big boxes are radars that detect trajectory of rounds and help to FCS to calculate better shots. Propellant charges are ignited by microwaves. RoF is higher than 10 shots per minute, turret have 2 autoloaders - for shells and propellant charges.

Radar, as I understand it, doesn't miniaturize that well.  Sure, you can make the power supply and the computers smaller, but the antenna needs to be a certain size to use longer frequencies.  And you need longer frequencies for long-range detection because the shorter frequencies get absorbed by the atmosphere more.

So it could be that a good counterbattery radar just needs to be that big.

Hmmm, is there any chance they are integrated with an active protection system?

kinda self defeating to mount a giant radar dish on a tank to improve its protection

Then again, i suppose it could draw fire, so theres that 

Koalitsiya radars are still a little too big for a ballistic radar, so it is likely that those radars trac projectiles over pretty big part of their path to target.

They're doppler radar units. Generally used as an Mv radar or as a long range tracking radar.

The Mv radars are pretty small:

M777_Light_Towed_Howitzer_1.jpg

(Spot the transmitter)

But the long range tracking radars are slightly bigger:

MFTR-2100-40dB-with-camera-1024x682.jpg

f47c7fd9b0.jpg

Source for last picture: http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA440351

So we are talking for sure that Koalitsia radars are for tracking projectiles at long ranges? Not bad. 

Yes, given clear terrain the radar can track the projectile as long as there is a clear line of sight. I'm not completely sure, but I don't think doppler radars have OTH capabilities.

Depending on make and model doppler radars can track multiple projectiles.

Doppler radars are very powerful tools, but you really need to know wtf you're doing, since they can be affected by terrain and placement.

• 2 weeks later...