Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

On 5/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, Ramlaen said:

-the gun height of an Abrams did not change between the 105mm gun and the 120mm gun

-a 2.1 meter gun height for the T-14 appears to be more accurate than the 2.3 meter height you previously said

-I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the T-14's gun depression when I agree with you that it has good gun depression.

The 2.3m is based on the scale model provided. As said. The scale model makes it look larger and higher than it actually is. 

1 minute ago, XhaxhiEnver said:

The 2.3m is based on the scale model provided. As said. The scale model makes it look larger and higher than it actually is. 

The scaling in the graphic I posted is pretty close, the flaws in the drawing do not change this.

49 minutes ago, XhaxhiEnver said:

I just explained you that the graphic scaling is wrong. It gives a .3m in height and a whole meter in length over the real world specs. 

The 2.1 meter gun height from the graphic I posted gives more than .3 meter distance to the turret roof.

• 5 weeks later...

The newest BTR K-16 "Boomerang" in July will enter state tests

Deliveries to the troops will begin after the completion of state tests

MOSCOW, June 25. / Tass /. The newest armored personnel carrier (BTR) K-16 on the wheeled platform "Boomerang" will begin state tests in July 2019. This was reported by TASS on Tuesday at the Army-2019 forum, the press service of the Military Industrial Company (MIC), which developed the platform, reported.

“Soon we will complete preliminary tests of the Boomerang platform. Completing them and obtaining the letter "O" will save time on developing new types of weapons and military equipment based on the Boomerang platform while its state tests are underway. They will, by the way, begin next month ", - informed in the VPK.

The company noted that deliveries to the troops will begin immediately after completion of state tests. The VPK noted that the receipt of letter O allows the Ministry of Defense of Russia from this year to open research and development to develop samples of military equipment based on "Boomerang."

“The Defense Ministry will be able to safely assign tasks to elaborate the development of system on the basis of the Boomerang platform, for example, anti-aircraft missile systems, self-propelled anti-tank systems, reconnaissance and command and staff vehicles and the same wheeled tank that everyone is asking about,” the company’s developer said .

The main tank T-14 “Armata” will continue to equipped with a 125-mm gun 2A82; work on the new 152-mm 2A83 cannon were stopped. The Deputy Director General - General Designer of the Ekaterinburg “Plant No. 9” Anatoly Tarnaev stated this during the forum “Army-2019” to Mil.Press Military. No other details were given.

3 hours ago, alanch90 said:

I guess there is not much sense in working in a 152mm gun until the next NATO tanks show up

A small increase in caliber and larger increase in chamber pressure and volume, plus shell length, make more sense. And you don't want to start reducing loadouts with the proliferation of APS.

A 152mm gun never made sense after the breakup of the USSR. I don't know why they kept telling people they'll do it despite having no intentions to make it.

Heh, here is official numbers for T-14:

The overall dimensions of the tank were also announced: its length is 10.8 m, width, 3.9 m, and height 3.3 m. But the most interesting is that for the first time the weight was shown - it is 55 tons.

/.../

The T-15 weighs the same amount and can hold 12 servicemen.

https://rg.ru/2019/06/28/ves-tanka-i-bmp-na-platforme-armata-rassekretili-na-armii-2019.html

https://disclosure.1prime.ru/portal/default.aspx?emId=6623029538

https://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/1381266.html

KB TochMash A.E. Nudelman "developed in the 80s a guided missile for a future Soviet tank (Molot, 152 mm caliber). The subject smoldered for decades, and in a recent the UVZ annual report it was spotted under the name “Sokol-V”. Now already trimmed for 125-mm 2A82-1M for T-14 (see. UVZ Annual Report for 2018).
   R&D "Sokol-V" ("Falcon-V") with a multi-spectral homing head by “KBtochmash them. A.E. Nudelman". The contract for workR&D was concluded with the design bureau in 2013 in the amount of one billion one hundred forty million rubles. Completion of work was planned for 2016. Apparently, everything was delayed if in 2018 only the 5th stage and “coordination of the applicability of the Sokol-V product in the 2A82-1M system” (according to the report) were reached.

Apperently there is a new GL-ATGM with (likely) fire and forget capabilities in works for T-14.

Possibly this is sensor part of that missile or test/research development in the same design program

image002.jpg

6 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

So, top attack, NLOS, fire and forget, that sounds perfect to attack tanks in hull down position, and thats a game changer that finally justifies an GLATGM in my opinion. 

.... if it actually has top attack and NLOS capabilities in the first place, and if it reaches serial production.

4 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

Yes of course. The same could be said for the tank itself, right?

Not exactly, tank already exist and was shown to be able to fire gun and drive around, kek, unlike this missile.

It really look like they installed different turret on this T-15 compared to previous time when they showed unmanned turret with 57 mm AC.

PtJYNR7.jpg

Note different optics modules on this one compared to what was shown at Army 2019.

Knowing the official size of T-14 i decided to try another LOS estimation of its probable front armor module. This time should be much more precise than my previous attempt (which was made "by eye").

Spoiler

FLKjomc.png

So, around 831mm LOS. Its far from the "950mm" that i imagined previously, but still in the ballpark of the physical thickness of most western tanks in service. 

Do we know if it still uses the "USSR" style of composite like on T-90 and T-72 hulls? 
Or is it more like NATO armour/T-72B turret?

Also, there's ERA on there too, which should be taken into account.

Sides don't appear to be too thick apart from the skirts/ERA.