Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

News about Armata. Apparently it was in Syria, and was put through additional tests. Also, vehicle production was moved to 2021.

Russian military tested the Armata tank in Syria

Moscow. April 19th. INTERFAX.RU - The new Russian tank T-14 Armata was tested in Syria, said the head of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation Denis Manturov.

“Yes, that's right ... they were in Syria,” he said on Sunday in a program on the Russia-1 television channel (VGTRK).

According to the minister, these tanks were sent to Syria "in order to take into account all the nuances in combat conditions." "In Syria, as you know, it is precisely this kind of test," Manturov said, noting that this would help form the "final look" of the tank, which will be supplied to the Russian army.

As the minister noted, serial deliveries to the army will begin in 2021.

According to him, the T-14 Armata is an expensive tank. “It’s expensive also because it goes through a series of additional tests, modernization. As production and supply volumes increase, of course, the price will decrease,” Manturov said.

17 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Hey guys, look, a photo of Armata in Syria was posted!

Do

Totally real!

Do you think that this is reality or a fake in best photoshop quality? BTW pretty nice front girl! Can't believe she would have been in Syria more that she is posing in a Moscow film studio.5

... and why are both hatches closed? This photo is definitely a fake and may be a good promotion for Russian internal purposes. Why should this prototype be sent to Syria in urban terrain? IMO the risk to fail or be knocked out would be pretty to high and a huge disgrace.

• 2 weeks later...

Now here´s the karma for making up stories about taking the T-14 to syria with no supporting evidence: anybody else can just claim that the tanks failed in combat. It amazes me how fake news can just pile up on top of eachother, next week we are gonna here from some russian official that T-14 had an astounding baptism of fire in Syria killing 500 terrorists :lol:.

https://topcor.ru/14417-zajavleno-o-potere-odnogo-tanka-t-14-armata-v-sirii.html?fbclid=IwAR0bEGtvO_VXonVNM2uTfCuxyvOlEjIrjS1Smk9OA48vbhs3JO4s8FFJ5cU

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I can't make up my mind on which 57mm gun will be more useful in the long run, but I'm leaning towards the 'low velocity' one.

I think opposite is true - high velocity version have higher margin to improve AP shells.

So what is the state of this Kurganets? Turret is real, or mockup? I still have the feeling that these are still just half complete prototypes, and the only vehicle from these later developments that really has a chance for mass production is the 2S35 Kolaitsiya. And I still think the BMP-3 Dragun would be a better choice than the K25.

14 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I can't make up my mind on which 57mm gun will be more useful in the long run, but I'm leaning towards the 'low velocity' one.

8 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I think opposite is true - high velocity version have higher margin to improve AP shells.

8 hours ago, Beer said:

I guess that installing the high velocity one on smaller and lighter vehicles will be a problem therefore I expect that there will be many more low velocity ones fielded in the end. 

Just by the size of the case, the "short" 57mm for the Epokha (57x185mm according to my estimations) might be comparable or slightly more powerful than the american 50mm (50x228mm). The "big" 57mm as used on the Kinzhal/Baikal (57x348SR) would just be overkill IMHO and i don´t see how an IFV that remains in the sub 40 ton category (or even sub 50 ton) might survive the "short" 57mm frontally. For IFV use, the "short" 57mm is just more convenient, takes up a lot less space, even using about half of the internal volume of the Epokha (the whole right side is used for the baby Kornets for which i don´t see any practical justification) it can fit more 57mm shells than the Kinzhal/Baikal turret (80 vs ~170).

What seems more problematic than which 57mm is better would be that these futuristic IFVs lack ATGMs with modern features (fire and forget, LOAL, top attack, etc.).

The full 57mm seems more future appropiate to me, as rounds get more electric and high tech, the bigger round becomes more sensible, and the full 57mm is more of a antiair/naval round.

Future threats of drones and atgm will be easier to defend against using the full 57mm.  Particularly the army can share a programmable airburst with the navy.  (Or even a hypothetical steerable round)

Think syria/libya/ukraine.  

Good accuracy at limit range of atgm is good.

Valid airdefense capacity against uav is good.

Indirect artillery support based on uav spotting is good.

The short 57mm in can is also a valid round, cheap and cheerful. A different class of cost, a different class of use, more of a see it with naked eye type range use.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, alanch90 said:

Just by the size of the case, the "short" 57mm for the Epokha (57x185mm according to my estimations) might be comparable or slightly more powerful than the american 50mm (50x228mm). The "big" 57mm as used on the Kinzhal/Baikal (57x348SR) would just be overkill IMHO and i don´t see how an IFV that remains in the sub 40 ton category (or even sub 50 ton) might survive the "short" 57mm frontally. For IFV use, the "short" 57mm is just more convenient, takes up a lot less space, even using about half of the internal volume of the Epokha (the whole right side is used for the baby Kornets for which i don´t see any practical justification) it can fit more 57mm shells than the Kinzhal/Baikal turret (80 vs ~170).

What seems more problematic than which 57mm is better would be that these futuristic IFVs lack ATGMs with modern features (fire and forget, LOAL, top attack, etc.).

I wonder how well it would work with MAD-FIRES.

3 hours ago, MRose said:

I wonder how well it would work with MAD-FIRES.

As far as i know, the russians are already working on guided 57mm ammo but i think that its going to be compatible with the larger case and used for AA, which makes a lot of sense.

10 hours ago, alanch90 said:

As far as i know, the russians are already working on guided 57mm ammo but i think that its going to be compatible with the larger case and used for AA, which makes a lot of sense.

I think that the guided ammo is used by Derivatsiya-PVO. I don't know if it's interchangeable with the T-15 gun ammo.

5 hours ago, Beer said:

I think that the guided ammo is used by Derivatsiya-PVO. I don't know if it's interchangeable with the T-15 gun ammo.

Should be interchangeable, its the same caliber and gun. However i dont know if T-15 has the guiding equipment.