Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Binkov's Battlegrounds: military analysis videos

Commissar Binkov

On 7/2/2017 at 6:52 AM, Toxn said:

The China matters take on it is that South Korea would desperately love to see reunification, Japan would desperately love to occupy North Korea, and China is very unhappy about either possibility but very keen on the idea of keeping a buffer state or grabbing a slice of the North Korean pie for itself.

I've read the first bit of that article, and it became clear that the author is an Alex Jones-level conspiracy theorist nutjob.

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I've read the first bit of that article, and it became clear that the author is an Alex Jones-level conspiracy theorist nutjob.

Pity - I quite like him.

Anything in particular which you think is egregiously false?

It seems a bit conspiratorial to propose the reason for deposing Best Korea's rulers is secretly a 19th Century style Great Game to sieze resources in the North Korean Peninsula while making footholds into Manchuria and the Russian Far East.

As opposed to the altruistic reasons of removing a crazy despot who is oppressing his people while threatening his neighbors militarily in exchange for bribes.

7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

That the US presence in the Pacific is a "charade" or "fiction", and that the US is courting NK as a client state.

This was the reference to fiction in the text:

"One byproduct of tensions with the People’s Republic of China over the South China Sea (to be followed, shortly, I believe by tensions over the friction between the PRC and Taiwan ruled by the DPP) is the opportunity for the United States to abandon the useful but by now threadbare fiction that the massive U.S. military presence in East Asia is needed to protect the world from North Korea."

Maybe I'm a sucker for 'you guys must be smarter than this' conspiracies about US foreign policy (because otherwise so much of what your country does comes off as stupidity or chaotic evil), but the idea that NK is trying to play off all sides and that the US is meddling principally to keep out China tracks pretty well for me.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

This was the reference to fiction in the text:

"One byproduct of tensions with the People’s Republic of China over the South China Sea (to be followed, shortly, I believe by tensions over the friction between the PRC and Taiwan ruled by the DPP) is the opportunity for the United States to abandon the useful but by now threadbare fiction that the massive U.S. military presence in East Asia is needed to protect the world from North Korea."

Maybe I'm a sucker for 'you guys must be smarter than this' conspiracies about US foreign policy (because otherwise so much of what your country does comes off as stupidity or chaotic evil), but the idea that NK is trying to play off all sides and that the US is meddling principally to keep out China tracks pretty well for me.

Yeah, it totally has nothing to do with NK having nukes. :rolleyes:

Fuck it, I know how this is going to play out.

I've got a cold and haven't slept in days, so I'm actually going to try to argue with you (badly) instead of shrugging my shoulders and carrying on with my day. And you're going to respond with vague and insulting arguments (see posts above) before calling me an idiot.

I'm eventually going to walk out of this one, you guys will still have the 'Korea = krazy' thread to jerk off to and all will carry on as normal.

So let's skip to the end: you guys make this thread about whatever you want and I'll post something biotech-related in a few days or so.

7 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Since 2006. That's, what, 56 years of military presence (and a pretty consistent policy) without a reason?

Oh yeah, because US bases in other countries is so unusual.

NK wasn't a hot button issue until it looked like they were gonna get nukes. Nobody gave a shit what happened to them, as long as they didn't attack SK.

The idea that the US is flirting with the Norks is just ridiculous conspiracy theory talk. It runs contrary to every military planner, every discussion of the Pivot to the Pacific, and common sense. What possible reason could the US have for wanting to be allies with the Norks?

1 minute ago, Toxn said:

Fuck it, I know how this is going to play out.

I've got a cold and haven't slept in days, so I'm actually going to try to argue with you (badly) instead of shrugging my shoulders and carrying on with my day. And you're going to respond with vague and insulting arguments (see posts above) before calling me an idiot.

I'm eventually going to walk out of this one, you guys will still have the 'Korea = krazy' thread to jerk off to and all will carry on as normal.

So let's skip to the end: you guys make this thread about whatever you want and I'll post something biotech-related in a few days or so.

Sounds like you have your own problems (that aren't my problems). Might be better to go take care of those instead of lamenting arguments you haven't even had yet.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

Sounds like you have your own problems (that aren't my problems). Might be better to go take care of those instead of lamenting arguments you haven't even had yet.

Pretty much what I was going for, except with more flouncing out and calling you an arrogant cockface (the last is intended to be humorous btw).

I'll be back on other topics once I'm less tired and grumpy.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...