Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Honestly, I agree with Brickfight in that these mud tests are sort of low-hanging fruit and are barely one step above videos of someone saying "Hey y'all, watch this". Get a garden hose, make "mud", and don't worry whether the dirt is glacial till, clay, loess or whatever, drop a gun in it and then shoot. It's been done over and over and over and over again with every side saying this is good and this is bad. I don't even watch them or pay attention to them anymore.

And it's because most gun channels aren't able to accurately reconstruct real life scenarios with guns being fired in sub-zero temperatures or in dust storms or what not. 

Oh screw that, most of the "real life" scenarios these guns will be in is from guys firing them at the range, not cleaning them once or twice and leaving them in a car where a two-liter bottle of Mountain Dew is accidentally spilled over the gun and his rig of magazine carriers. Now THAT is a real life test worth watching.

The gun articles I think are useful are from the owners of gun rental ranges who see thousands, tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired through their weapons by untrained customers and cleaned by staff who are just trying to get through a boring job. That to me is a better indication of how a military rifle is treated.

I know your national pride compels you to act like a retard, but for the record, the rifle they tested was not a WASR. It was built off accepted Romanian military parts.

I know being a hunk requires sarcasm detector being turned off

besides, the real retards are the ones that walk away from these mud tests thinking they just saw some grand de-proofing 

M4's are great rifles, fuck i rather use one than some shitty Western bullpup or "battle rifle" they are definitly some of the most reliable platforms in the west right now

But anyone who things these tests matter more than the silicon they watch them on has probably A. Never fired a gun or B. Is a ten gallon hat wearing hick 

With the topic of Taurus being discussed, I'd like to share that a friend of mine recently purchased a Taurus Curve and that I am now interested in your all's reaction of the gun being named here.   

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Taurus.

As for the Curve.

taurus_curve_22.jpg

Well it looks like Pro Pitcher Andrew Cashner likes it. Cashner plays for the San Diego Padres and has a lifetime 3.59 ERA over six years of Pro Ball with 26 Wins and 42 Losses.

http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm

Certainly not a Ted Williams by any stretch of the imagination. Ted Williams was an Hall of Fame hitter with the Red Sox and a Marine Corp Naval Aviator in World War 2 and the Korean War. Stevens went on to endorse a lot of Sears Roebuck outdoor sporting equipment including firearms (I believe mostly shotguns).

As for the Taurus, it seems to be an answer to a question that doesn't matter; and not a very good one at that. Supposedly it reduces the "printing" of carrying a handgun, which is the fear that someone will notice that you are carrying based on the way your clothes are bulged. Being curved it supposedly fits more snugly against the human body.

To which I reply, "THAT"S WHAT HOLSTERS ARE FOR!!!"

You carry a handgun in a holster. That's how the grownups do it these days. The holster covers up important bits like that trigger thing so you don't accidentally blow your tom-fool leg off. The Taurus Curve has no external safety and is striker fired. And Taurus wants you to tuck the damn thing into the waistband of your pants without a holster. Because if you have a holster, it negates the whole point of the "Curve" design. I guess the thing comes with a "trigger guard protector" whatever the hell that means and a magazine safety disconnect so idjits can't get killed playing the game of dropping the mag and pointing the thing at their head and squeezing the trigger.

Everything about the thing is wrong and and janky and smacks of the typical gimmickery that we expect from Taurus. 

Anybody have any good sources for Swiss military organization and tactics? I am thinking about writing a post titled something like "Switzerland Should Adopt The 6.5 Grendel" or something properly clickbaity like that, hopefully to illustrate the point that these fantasy intermediate caliber rounds aren't any good without rigorous marksmanship training, such as the Swiss are famous for (and which becomes increasingly difficult to achieve as your military gets larger than Switzerland's 100K or so dudes). However, I've realized I don't yet know that much about Swiss arms, organization, and tactics.