Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

A quote, attributed to Ian Hogg, a British Military Officer and author of books on military weapons and ammunition: "It is a notable thing that whenever, and wherever, a commission sits to determine the ideal caliber for an infantry rifle, they always arrive at 7mm - it is an equally notable thing that nobody ever gets a 7mm cartridge as a result of it."

A quote, attributed to Nathaniel F, a small-time blogger and cat owner: "It is a notable thing that whenever, and wherever, a discussion occurs on the Internet about the ideal infantry rifle caliber, someone always mentions that one Ian Hogg quote about the 7mm... It is an equally notable thing that nobody seems to have noticed it's completely untrue."

In many ways, the Johnson LMG is a direct ancestor to the AR-10:

Note the numerous similarities, hinting at what was to come: Large-diameter recoil spring, long bolt with cutout for the hammer, the multilugged rotary bolt, the three-position selector, raised sights, the use of push-pins to hold assemblies together, and the sliding upper and lower assembly on rails.

Wait, what?

Yep, that's what I said, a sliding upper and lower on rails. Just like an AR-10. Well, AR-10 Prototype 003, that is:

2itr1au.jpg

The sight is even swoopy like the Johnson LMG!

Note the numerous similarities, hinting at what was to come: Large-diameter recoil spring, long bolt with cutout for the hammer, the multilugged rotary bolt, the three-position selector, raised sights, the use of push-pins to hold assemblies together, and the sliding upper and lower assembly on rails.

Wait, what?

Yep, that's what I said, a sliding upper and lower on rails. Just like an AR-10. Well, AR-10 Prototype 003, that is:

2itr1au.jpg

Doesn't the Johnson rifle also share one or two minor features with the AR-15 or AR-10?

edit: Looked it up, all I could find was the barrel.

Pigs are an invasive species and yes they must be controlled. But I have ethical issues as a hunter with a bunch of rich fuckers - LOL - using a machine gun and helicopters to hunt animals. 

It sounds silly and excessive to most folks until you realize that hogs literally destroy people's livelihood here in Texas:

fuu8pg.jpg

Even passing that helicopter hunting bill didn't help much.

It sounds silly and excessive to most folks until you realize that hogs literally destroy people's livelihood here in Texas:

fuu8pg.jpg

Oh no, I get it. The environmental issue of feral livestock like pigs is clear. 

fuu8pg.jpg

whyyakbwasinvented.jpg 

Pigs are an invasive species and yes they must be controlled. But I have ethical issues as a hunter with a bunch of rich fuckers - LOL - using a machine gun and helicopters to hunt animals. 

using 6.8 too, ew 

Wait, what?

2itr1au.jpg

Mel Johnson was a "consultant" to Armalite.  He and Stoner were not unfamiliar to eachother.

Oh dear god the 6.8 wankery in that video.

You know someone's super rich when they're rolling around with night vision and 6.8 SPC rifles.

Also, "85% of the power of a .308" my ass.

i wouldnt mind the 85% number if he was shooting at like wild flocks of cinder blocks, hey that ryhmes, and not you know, living things that you just might want a efficent wound pattern round and arent like to be engaging at super dooper long range 

We don't have "hog hunting" to speak of in Washington and I have no experience with it. When they shoot the pigs, are they good to eat? Are they safe to eat? Or do they just let the animals rot?

I know with bear hunting, you have to be careful about Trichinosis. I assume with feral hogs, there's also this same risk.

Like i said. Its more about the logistics than anything

Military grade weapons are best to get the bastards to Fuck off. But they tend to ruin the meat alot more and kill more than you could hope to cook

Bor hunting is different. And typically done for sport rather then curling a out of control speices of dicks on legs

We don't have "hog hunting" to speak of in Washington and I have no experience with it. When they shoot the pigs, are they good to eat? Are they safe to eat? Or do they just let the animals rot?

I know with bear hunting, you have to be careful about Trichinosis. I assume with feral hogs, there's also this same risk.

I'm trusting that our Ten gallon hunk Alex will provide more details. Or anyone else who is familiar. 

To me it seems a waste of good pork. But maybe wild hogs aren't tasty or something.

Dude, hogs make a ranch look like a World War I battlefield. They are incredibly destructive - and I mean incredibly.

Whether you eat them or not, they simply gotta die.

And the worst part: Even with Texans in helicopters and with machine guns, night vision, suppressors giving out tours to ruthlessly massacre these animals with what is - I admit - a fairly creepy amount of glee, their population is still growing rapidly.