Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/08/10-gun-buying-tips-new-shooter/

So, what are SH's tips for a first time buyer?  Anyone have a different take than Nathaniel?

I'd probably buy either a shotgun (870 or Mossy) as my first purchase up here in Canuckistan..  Reasonable effective for home defense,(if that's an issue),  stupid simple to operate, and usable for hunting most stuff I'd want to hunt with different loads and barrels.  After that, I'd prolly get some sort of .22 rifle for a pure plinking toy, then a centerfire rifle of some sort, and then some sort of 9mm pistol to round it out.

I would grab up an 870 for sure, and of course a 10/22. Canada has no magazine cap for rimfire stuff so you could get some hi caps and blast until Canadian Tire is out of ammo.

If you get into restricted stuff, I would take a good look at a Bereta CX4 storm (non restricted I believe) and a 92FS. Same mags, and then you could run your 10 round pistol mags in your carbine.

Nagants are also decent entry level and relatively cheap ($100s), and AKs aren't too expensive depending on your definition ($500s). I haven't personally owned either, but I've had several friends pick up Nagants with no complaints, and I know a few people who have gotten AKs also without complaints. 

*Not a firearms expert*

Are you looking for a new gun/first rifle?

Have you been Saved by our Lord and Savior Lever Action Jesus?

*Hands pamphlet*

gun-jesus.jpg

Lever action rifles come in practical and easy to use and handle formats including 30-30 and 45-70 the latter of which you need for killing the polar bears and moose attacking your maple syrup plantations in Canada.

Lever action rifles are legal in Canada.

They also come in .22 long rifle or .22 Magnum for ease of plinking or for putting down varmints in your trap line.

You can get lever action shotguns as well. Lever action shotguns are the coolest shotguns. Do you remember Terminator 2 with the T-800? Yeah. That was cool.

Thank you for your time.

You want weapon of glorious Soviet design for purposes of self defence and plinking. You buy weapon of Autvomat Kalashnikov in the year 1974

Good rifle serves you best years of your life. You go to fraternal Czechoslovakia you drink beer and fratenize with girls. You go to fraternal East German Republic. You watch the cigarette smoke flow off the furniture of your rifle like dew through the East German pines. You get rifle dirty from long day of eating and smoking you through in lake

For as man dug up god's earth to build rifle you return rifle. Baptizing it in the mude, the sweat the blood. For you know deep in your heart that you and your rifle are ready to finish what your fore fathers did in great Patriotic war. Once again the essence of Russian soilder is ready to save the world

Thats why you buy rifle