Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

As I understand it, Beretta was basically given a no-bid contract to develop the ARX-160.   That's what happens when you own nearly every domestic gunmaker, and your politicians aren't willing to consider a foreign design.

Did the contract also involve Ergot poisoning per chance?

Tied posted this picture over in the Mechanized thread.  My first thought on seeing it was "was the MAC-10 designed for people with tiny Donald Trump sized hands?" Or does it not really make much difference once the magazine is there to give the handle extra length.  

ldIWw7c.jpg

Frankly, my guess is that all of those people have very, very large hands. Look at the guy on the right in proportion to that AKS and Mini-Uzi.

Alternately, or possibly in conjunction, the two MACs in the fellow on the left's hands could be MAC-11s, a smaller gun in .380 ACP, although they don't quite look like it.

Frankly, my guess is that all of those people have very, very large hands. Look at the guy on the right in proportion to that AKS and Mini-Uzi.

Alternately, or possibly in conjunction, the two MACs in the fellow on the left's hands could be MAC-11s, a smaller gun in .380 ACP, although they don't quite look like it.

It could be, that dude is not a small looking guy.  I remember when I was kid watching episodes of Miami Vice, the mac-10 seemed like the coolest gun ever.  I suspect that it's actually a bit of a ridiculous bullet hose?

It could be, that dude is not a small looking guy.  I remember when I was kid watching episodes of Miami Vice, the mac-10 seemed like the coolest gun ever.  I suspect that it's actually a bit of a ridiculous bullet hose?

It is a very small blowback automatic weapon, which is sort of like designing a finger-ring 20 gauge shotgun. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

It has remained popular primarily as a platform for much more useful modifications thanks to the large number of them that were registered before the 1986 machine gun cutoff.

I think my complaints with this gun are pretty valid:

Reminds me of the time I broke the ARX-160 at SHOT show.  That was fun and made me eternally popular with the Beretta booth reps.

Julian Hatcher notes in his wonderful book of wonderfulness that the only way to improve on sub machine guns is to make them cheaper.  Sub machine guns are potentially uber-cheap.  They don't need any locking mechanisms (the MP-5 has them anyway because Germans), so they're potentially cheaper and simpler than bolt-action rifles.

In terms of economy of manufacture, the MAC series is absolutely brilliant.  In terms of being a brilliant weapon... eh, not so hot.

MAC 10s are a lot bigger than you would think. The M11A1 on the other hand....

mjvhj5.jpg

Despite the less than stellar reputation these guns have, the M10s are very reliable guns. A lot of people don't think much of them because of the "Texas MACs" that were finished in Stepehville with sub-par welds that have a bad tendency to let go. This is such a problem that companies offer rebuild services.

MAC 10s are a lot bigger than you would think. The M11A1 on the other hand....

mjvhj5.jpg

Despite the less than stellar reputation these guns have, the M10s are very reliable guns. A lot of people don't think much of them because of the "Texas MACs" that were finished in Stepehville with sub-par welds that have a bad tendency to let go. This is such a problem that companies offer rebuild services.

Their using a dual column/single feed mag does not help things.  The biggest issue with a lot of the MAC's I messed with was the magazines being shit.

Their using a dual column/single feed mag does not help things.  The biggest issue with a lot of the MAC's I messed with was the magazines being shit.

This is something I've never grasped.  With a pistol it makes sense to go two-column, single feed because you need room around the top for the transfer bar, slide rails, and other jazz.  Also because designers are lazy and like to copy the BHP magazine.  But on an SMG you have plenty of room to fit everything in because SMGs are bigger than pistols.  Even in a mag-in-grip design like an uzi, there's still plenty of room for two position feed.

So why do so many SMGs use two column, single position feed magazines?  M3s do, MP-38/40s do, UMPs do, and several others.

Mine uses unmodified grease gun mags. Runs like a freight train.

Right, that's what they were designed to use, but there are all kinds of "other" patterns out there that are more often than not, abject shit.

Some of the plastic "ban era"/California mags for example.

This is something I've never grasped.  With a pistol it makes sense to go two-column, single feed because you need room around the top for the transfer bar, slide rails, and other jazz.  Also because designers are lazy and like to copy the BHP magazine.  But on an SMG you have plenty of room to fit everything in because SMGs are bigger than pistols.  Even in a mag-in-grip design like an uzi, there's still plenty of room for two position feed.

So why do so many SMGs use two column, single position feed magazines?  M3s do, MP-38/40s do, UMPs do, and several others.

Ease of manufacture. 

It requires a touch more milling and finishing to make a dual column feed work, and that additional effort amortized over thousands of operations and thousands of unite made, was deemed excessive/unprofitable.