Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

That's more of an issue with the magazine disconnect safety to be fair, removing it will take something like half the trigger pull weight off.

Getting rid of the magazine safety isn't that hard, I've seen it done.

The trigger mechanism of a BHP is really strange and atypical.  There's no transfer bar running through the frame, instead the trigger pokes a lever that disengages the sear from the hammer.  It would be a very good mechanism to copy if you were designing a pistol with a two position magazine feed, since it doesn't take up room around the feed lips with a transfer bar.

I am working on a classification system for small arms rifle projectiles. Here's what I have so far, please let me know if there are any additions I should make (there should be plenty not on this list):

RN-type - Round nosed lead

JRN-type - Round nosed jacketed

S-type - standard S Patrone, M1906 Ball, M2 Ball,

PS-type - Combloc steel-cored design, LPS Ball, M43, DBP-88, comes from Russian "пулей стальным", "puley stal'nym", or "steel bullet"

EPR-type - M855A1 and M80A1

SOST-type - Mk. 318 and Mk. 319

SP-type - soft points

F-type - frangible, Mk. 255

MHP-type - Barnes bullets

AP-type - M2 AP, DBP-10, M61

SAP-type - M855, SS109

MK7-type - Mk. VII or Type B bullet with the paper/aluminum tip material

I am limiting my scope for now to inert projectiles only (no tracers/incendiaries). Also, feel free to correct my Russian.

I am working on a classification system for small arms rifle projectiles. Here's what I have so far, please let me know if there are any additions I should make (there should be plenty not on this list):

PS-type - Combloc steel-cored design, LPS Ball, M43, DBP-88, comes from Russian "пулей стальным", "puley stal'nym", or "steel bullet"

SP-type - soft points

SAP-type - M855, SS109

I am limiting my scope for now to inert projectiles only (no tracers/incendiaries). Also, feel free to correct my Russian.

JSP - Jacketed soft point.

Wolf hunt

SP-type - soft points

SAP-type - M855, SS109

Пулей стальным is not right form. If you want to say "Bullet with steel core" in Russian, "Пуля со стальным сердечником" is the right way.

Wolf hunt

Пулей стальным is not right form. If you want say "Bullet with steel core" in Russian, that "Пуля со стальным сердечником" is right way to call them.

I assume it's a shortened form of some variety. I am deriving that classification from the Russian 7.62x54mmR LPS/ЛПС ball round and the 7.62x39mm М43 PS/ПС round. Do you know what those acronyms stand for?

I assume it's a shortened form of some variety. I am deriving that classification from the Russian 7.62x54mmR LPS/ЛПС ball round and the 7.62x39mm М43 PS/ПС round. Do you know what those acronyms stand for?

"Пулей стальным" doesn't make any sense, the words form suggest that more wrods are needed before or/and after those 2 words. 

LPS/ЛПС means "Light catride with Bullet with Steel core"/Лёгкий патрон с Пулей со Стальным сердечником (ЛПС/LPS).

"Пулей стальным" doesn't make any sense, the words form suggest that more wrods are needed before or/and after those 2 words. 

LPS/ЛПС means "Light catride with Bullet with Steel core"/Лёгкий патрон с Пулей со Стальным сердечником (ЛПС/LPS).

Good enough for me, thanks.

The M60's mechanism was copied from the FG-42 (itself a Lewis Gun derivative, so the Wehraboos don't get too excited), with a belt feed mechanism derived from the MG-42.

Here's a picture of the T44 Machine Gun, one of the prototypes which led to the M60, and which is more or less literally an FG-42 and an MG-42 smooshed together:

tumblr_mp8etysX1s1s57vgxo1_r1_1280.jpg