Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The althist group is a modeling group, they send neat stuff to my feed from time to time.

Yes, I lived in Trinidad for a while, but thankfully no longer as its a shithole.

I just passed through it when driving back from Phoenix to Chicago before, why I didn't just fly was a mystery, but fuck that, never doing that shit again.

(I had to attend the annual gathering of the children and grandchildren of Meplat.)

The range I've always gone to is a free outdoors one, so magnetic cases aren't an issue.  Actually, non-brass cases would almost be something I'd prefer in a way.  There's this one guy who's always at the range picking up brass to sell and he's harassed several of my gun pals on several occasions about how they really should shoot brass instead of steel (so he can pick it up and sell it).  He doesn't even work for the park, so now we shoot non-brass cases as much as possible to mess with the guy. 

I guess a better question for me to ask is would there be any ammo brands to avoid for my Mosin?  I figure any that people will have on their shelves here is going to be stuff that works. 

I knew pretty much all the Soviet surplus ammo is going to have corrosive primers, but after cleaning out the bolt, I think I'll stick with non-corrosive now.  It looks to me like the previous owner of that bolt didn't usually take the firing pin out of the bolt while cleaning, because the part with the spring over it has some minor pitting, but it didn't have any impact on performance at all.  While it is minor, it does show me what will happen if I dare get lazy with cleaning after shooting commie bullets.

I didn't actually take the receiver and magazine out of the stock, but I reached around in there with some cleaning stuff and I feel I hit all the parts that I would need to hit, and maybe a little extra.  My bolt is a lot more shiny now that I've gotten a lot of the little gunk bits off it, plus it is a lot smoother.  I just need to wait for my cleaning kit to come in so I have that handy little firing pin tool in it.  I got by today with doing it by hand with unscrewing it from the cocking knob, but that's a pain in the butt.

Anyone have any ideas why my bolt is covered in random stampings on that area?

Also, before I go off to bed, beyond checking the firing pin depth or not putting pipe bombs in the gun, is there anything else I should do to avoid things like this?

11517984.jpg

Also, I guess I should add to this, It's actually reasonably hard to pipe bomb a gun unless you do something really wrong, that doesn't mean it's always user error, but it's usually either something like.

1. You loaded a similar but incorrect cartridge that still headspaces but is actually the wrong caliber.

2. You're a handloader who fucked something up somewhere.

3. The bore is completely blocked for whatever reason and you failed to check it.

Alot of older guns don't handle more modern, hotter loadings well, alot of manufacturers offer rounds specifically for surplus guns for this reason, but I've never heard of this being a real problem in mosins, then again, I haven't fired a shit ton of rounds out of a Mosin so someone else can probably answer that better.

Another odd thing to look for is that certain rounds have much different approved max PSI approval ratings between SAAMI (basically North America) and CIP (basically most countries in Europe and some former Combloc nations.) One example while referring to Commie rounds is the 7.62x39mm, SAAMI gives a maximum safe pressure from 7.62x39mm as only 45,000 psi, however the CIP (Which Russia happens to be a member of) lists a maximum safe pressure quite a bit higher at 51,500 psi, I've never heard of this being a problem with 7.62x39mm in particular, but different standards can lead to strange things happening.

This is also true when comparing commercial ammo with, say, NATO spec or US Milspec ammunition, which can often run much hotter (5.56x46mm has a higher approved pressure then .223 Remington for example despite being nearly identical, and some US made 5.56mm loadings like Mk.262 and M855A1 run insanely hot)

But for 7.62x54mm? I haven't really heard of many types of ammunition that can do this, maybe someone horribly fucking up a handloading as stated above, but other then that....

One thing Mech did not mention, if you're really worried, buy a set of go/nogo gauges or pay a gunsmith to check headspace.

Most blown up old guns were from handloads, but behind that is bad headspace. Having said that, I've never bothered to check a milsurp for headspace, and I am still here. However, I tend to buy very good condition guns.

Breaking news: Bullet shape is important!

"Hey guys it's Alex C."

Can we fund you to do a really pretentious title in between your name for every video? just "It's Alex C" falls so flat.

"It's Alex "Yes the Reddit front page meme Alex" C with TFB TV." Sounds much better for example, just make different shit up every time.

In which Nicholas C. shows himself to be an ignorant mall ninja who gives two shits about the wider world of shooting sports. Episode 436.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/24/old-timey-shotgun-fitting-film/

DERR. Old timey shotgun fitting! Hey guys, I know a guy who knows a guy who can win shotgun competitions with a Remington 870!!!

Hey, look, one reason to buy Popular Mechanics in Russia - they have an article with Kalashnikov Concern about their new rifle. Oww, wait, this artile is already on the Internet, no need to buy that magazine!

DPUdm.jpg

Remember this rifle?

o2vH9.jpg

It is called SK-16. Apperently, it is similar inside to Dragunov's MA compact assault rifle.

2031645_original.jpg

From the article (expect dumb things):

0ZtRj.jpg

Demian Belyakov says that external looks of the weapon is as important as it service/technical characteristics. Judging by latest examples of military hardware, majority of weapon engineers agree with him.

:huh:

Article itself. Spoilers don't work, so suffer, capitalists. I will do only quick translation, as it is essentially PR material. Stolen from Otvaga forum, members of which found this article to be full of... *bright* ideas.

WxqHS.jpg

PopMech discuss future of small arms system wth leading designer of Kalashnikov Concern Demyan Belyakov. Topic - SK-16 self-loading carabine, which he work on with Evgeniy Erofeev.

iw6rE.jpg

Text near picture says "In SK-16 there is alot of unusual, including disassembly. Currently, we [journalists] can see it only on computer screen, but we hope to see it on shooting range soon"

"Before, wounding enemy was considered to be better that killed soldiers. But with advancements of body armor and medicine, today it is better to kill him. With first shot."

*long description of DMRs, small caliber bullets, increased range of engagements, a need for more powerfull catridge (use SCAR-H as example).  That it start to describe lower accurace of AK-74 compared to other rifles. 

7ZheD.jpg

*continue to describe lower accurace of AK-74, noting that "Soviet concept of defeating enemy with automatic fire as better method of firefight is dubious"  Today, automatic fire is used only by MG gunners, so there is a need for powerfull and accurate self-loading carabine.

First thing that was done - analysis of SVD shortcomings. "Unexplainably long and thin barrel" [ :wacko:], which can't accept any muzzle devices. There is no linear dependence of the accuracy of fire on barrel length. Side rail is a serious problem, as it never is co-axial to the barrel. There is no way to mount any opticals attachemnts such as night vision or thermal imager in front of the main optical sight. Other problem - catridge. Let's begin with afact that our country don't have powerfull catridge for such type of weapon. 7.62x54R have achieved a sad record - it is oldest MG/rifle catridge in service in the world. Shape of this catridge limits avaliable ways to design automatics. Thats why Demyanov orients at NATO 0.308 sizes for this rifle. Adaptation to any smilar-sized Russian catridge would been easy job.

SK-16 is modular, allowing to change any part of it. Optics is mounted on rail, which act as a base for barrel mount and also acts as a rail for bolt group/carrier (?). Similar design was used in MA - a Dragunov's compact avtomat, made in 1974, but never went into production. This design feature allows to achieve co-axiality of all important components of rifle, which is very hard to do in AK or SVD. 

hEa1T.jpg

Big problem of gas-operated automatic rifles is vibrations of barrel, thats why many countries use bolt-action rifles insctead.  In Belyakov's rifle barrel is mounted to the rail, which means that other parts don't affect it during shooting. In SK-16 a gas for automatics functioning is taken after muzzle, which eleminates parasitic vibrations from gas operation when bullet is still in the barrel. Similar feature was implemented in TKB--0145 sniper rifle, designed by Tula engineers A. Adov, in which a reliable functioning was achieved even on less powerfull catridge.

Charging handle is not directly attached to bolt carrier, but it still can be used to clear malfunctions.

Next feature - ability to extract spent case from both sides, with ability to select which extraction port to use "on the fly".

Rifle also have recoiling barrel, a feature that is used a lot in artillery and even in sporting rifles for Olympics.  *description of somewhat similar system in Nikonov's avtomat" In SK-16 it is not used for automatics fire, but to reduce recoil. 

In SK-16 a gas for automatics functioning is taken after muzzle, which eleminates parasitic vibrations from gas operation when bullet is still in the barrel. Similar feature was implemented in TKB--0145 sniper rifle, designed by Tula engineers A. Adov, in which a reliable functioning was achieved even on less powerfull catridge.

Nothing new under the sun.  The ancient Norwegian Bang rifle designs used a gas trap, as did some early garands:

Bang_rifle_M1922_a.jpg

hKqKkyM.jpg

There is even an AR-15 that's been modified to use a gas trap system:

2N4uhny.jpg

Typically this system has problems with ammunition sensitivity.

Is it in 7.62x51!?

No, it's clearly designed for the 100gr SWINE SMASHER variant of the .25-45 as seen above.

God Sturgeon, the 7.62x51 is such old tech, time to step into the future of warfare already.