Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

After looking around some, I'm thinking I'll want to grab a second milsurp gun somewhere in the nearish future.  I missed the days of good stuff being relatively cheap, but there's still a few guns coming in.  In particular, I've got my eyes on Bulgarian Makarovs.  Ammo I know won't be an issue, which is the main reason I'm not getting a Schmidt-Rubin.  The gun itself I hear is kinda nice.  It certainly is a nice looking gun in my eyes.  I don't like the mag release style, but I've seen people who just put little metal rings in the release to make it easier to pull.

The Polish P64 is a lot easier to find and is a few bucks cheaper, but it doesn't suit my fancy as much.  Various Tokarevs are also all over the place online still and cheaper as well, but they not only don't suit my fancy as much either, but getting ammo will be a little more annoying with them too.  Bolt action rifles are going to be something I can easily get my hands on around here, so I'm in no huge rush for something like a Mauser either.  I'd love a PPS-43C, but I'm a year or two late on that train. 

This site has a nice little package where you can get one on discount, plus the site has free shipping on the 14th.  However, I've seen a lot of complaints about these people being sketchy, but not really anything recent.  Any of you guys have a opinion on the site?

Within a month, I'm hopefully going to get to see what's in my grandfather's little collection of guns (which is where my Winchester 61 came from).  One of my uncle's friends apparently has some neat guns of the milsurp variety too that he's offered to show me whenever I come up.  Considering both the fact that the guns have just been sitting in a box for the past 10 or 20 years and that Christmas is just around the corner, it's possible I may inherit something from it.  I'll make sure to post any pics if some nifty thing is in there.

I guess the question is do you currently have any handguns?

If the answer is "No", get yourself a pistola. I've almost - but not quite - bought a Makarov on three different occasions and idiotically talked myself out of it because of "rent" or "bills" or "the steel belts are coming out of my bald tires". You know, idiotic stuff like that.

I'd carry a Makarov as my EDC to boot. Plus it gives you comieboo street cred.

The Polish pistola would make you more of a comieboo hipster in my eyes but perhaps the others have a more nuanced view.

I guess the question is do you currently have any handguns?

If the answer is "No", get yourself a pistola. I've almost - but not quite - bought a Makarov on three different occasions and idiotically talked myself out of it because of "rent" or "bills" or "the steel belts are coming out of my bald tires". You know, idiotic stuff like that.

I'd carry a Makarov as my EDC to boot. Plus it gives you comieboo street cred.

The Polish pistola would make you more of a comieboo hipster in my eyes but perhaps the others have a more nuanced view.

I do not, which is another reason I've been looking more at these handguns.  My state is also getting permitless conceal carry at the start of next year, so I suppose that's another reason I may want it.

Unlike the Polish one, the Bulgarian one gets a star on the grip instead of a hole for a screw.  I think it gets some commie points there. 

Beyond holding 8 rounds instead of 6, the grip is actually one of the bigger reasons why I'd prefer the Bulgarian version.  You've got the burnt red colored grip with a star on it, plus you've got a loop for a lanyard sort of deal.  I still might get a P64 instead of the situation calls for it, since being smaller would help conceal it.  I do have long term plans for a "real" EDC, but I'd like to get milsurp now before it gets too expensive.

Wl1YUfo.jpg

NHKBWns.jpg

I decided to forego the makarov for the cz-82... Does that make me a full on commie boo hipster? Do I have to incessantly talk about how krav maga is OK but systema is better?

CZ-82s are all right. Sort of like if someone smashed a Beretta 92 into a Makarov.

Pistols from that era in general are sort of in their gangly, uncomfortable adolescent phase. That's difficult for me to get over, but it's endearing to some.

Eh, I have this love for czechnology that borders on obsession.

I bought cheap and deep when this was still possible, and then went in and backfilled with "modern weapons".

Once I'm away from the left coast again I'll probably rotate carry guns occasionally to throw the old weird ones into the mix occasionally.

P64's can have absurd DA pulls, but if you get one I'll let you know how and where to clean it up.

Otherwise, tough to go wrong with a Bulgarian Mak.

Cz82/83's are very nice, if you find a good one with all the stuff they were imported with.  Many vendors seem to derive amusement from selling the piece, then expecting you to spend a fuckton more for the free shit the piece came in with.

You must fulfill your destiny and get a Meplat era CZ-75

Edit: Or Colli and Ulric will probably lynch me for saying this, but a good shape CZ-52 because 7.62x25mm master race.

Oh man, I want to like the CZ-52.  I really do.  I mean, just look at it:

vYXB7wz.jpg

It's such a sleek looking gun.  On top of that, it's chambered in everyone's favorite commie high-velocity magnum round, and on top of on top of that, it's got a mechanically unusual locking system that gets gun nerds all hot and bothered.

Yep, a pretty compelling package, all in all.

Aside from the fact that they don't seem to fucking work, the safeties are often suspect, and they don't have an external slide catch.

really want to like the Cz-52.  But I just can't.

I don't know, the Tokarev certainly has some meat behind it, but is it really magnum cartridge territory? The dimensions and "power" seem to to put it in "standard pistol/smg" range.

Plus to me at least, It recoils about as much as your typical 9mm to me, 9mm +P on the particularly hot "Czech" strength loads, It's really fast for a pistol round but the bullet choices are relatively light and lower caliber to make up for that recoil wise.

The CZ-52 is often described as being mechanically like a scaled-down MG-42.  This isn't 100% true, but the designs are somewhat similar.  Here they are side-by-side:

8nD8EoX.jpg

In the CZ-52 the rollers are attached to the outside of the barrel at the breech end.  For some reason they are hollow.  The piece in-between the rollers with the sort of chalice shape with the big hole in it moves independently of the barrel and controls the movement of the rollers.  When the pistol is in battery, this piece forces the rollers outwards into the slide, which locks the barrel rigidly to the slide.

The CZ-52 displays the typically Czech fetish for lots and lots of milling operations.

You must fulfill your destiny and get a Meplat era CZ-75

Edit: Or Colli and Ulric will probably lynch me for saying this, but a good shape CZ-52 because 7.62x25mm master race.

Mine is a second gen Pre B. The whole "short rail" bit never made much sense to me, and while I've had the chance to grab some, I like the long rail Pre B "high polish" one I have.

I don't know, the Tokarev certainly has some meat behind it, but is it really magnum cartridge territory? The dimensions and "power" seem to to put it in "standard pistol/smg" range.

Plus to me at least, It recoils about as much as your typical 9mm to me, 9mm +P on the particularly hot "Czech" strength loads, It's really fast for a pistol round but the bullet choices are relatively light and lower caliber to make up for that recoil wise.

I shot some 7,62X25 that with a 93 grain steel cored (basically AP, it was an arrow shaped hard/hardened steel insert) would chrono ~1900 FPS over a friend's pocket chrony.

The vast majority of what is out there is nowhere near that hot, but this batch of (Czech ?) ammo was pretty fucking spectacular to shoot from a pistol.  Constant "fire-rings", massive blast, and very snappy.  I was once asked to shoot something else at a pin shoot, because these pills were blowing through the bowling pins without knocking them over, but were making pretty impressive gouges in the range's backstop plates.  I wore out one M52 shooting that stuff, bought a second (when they were under $100.00) as a truck gun. It got stolen and by the time I got it back, it was a rusted, bubba'd POS.  I'm on No3, and it's a fine piece.

In terms of kinetic energy, hot 7.62 Tokarev overlaps with .357 mag.  In terms of momentum it's pretty unexceptional.

See above. It can be pretty (frighteningly) hot.  I've dicked about with loading .30 carbine projos on surplus ammo, and you can get a100/110 grain HP to move at a pretty good clip from the Tok round.

Surfing through Evo III videos, I came across this wonderful Discovery Channel episode on it, where they breathlessly promote the advantages of a radical new invention - the submachine gun!

EDIT: Oh my god they do the exactly same thing with rifling. I can't make this up.

"Each part must fit to within a millimeter's tolerance" - do these people actually know how big a millimeter is?

The other night on the TeamSpeak, I was chatting with colli and T___A about how the world is becoming increasingly cyberpunk. For evidence of this, look no further than CZ's official military/LE promo video for the Scorpion Evo III:

We are indeed becoming more cyberpunk. God help us all.