Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Surfing through Evo III videos, I came across this wonderful Discovery Channel episode on it, where they breathlessly promote the advantages of a radical new invention - the submachine gun!

EDIT: Oh my god they do the exactly same thing with rifling. I can't make this up.

"Each part must fit to within a millimeter's tolerance" - do these people actually know how big a millimeter is?

I had a giggle-fit when they said "You'll have a weapon ... that's as deadly as a scorpion"

Also, colli/Ulric any insights onto why they decided to make the receiver in two halves? I assume that's like, dramatically easier to mold or something, but I don't really know anything about that subject.

It would be difficult to do the receiver as a single injection molded part because the internal cavity of a receiver is usually a fairly complicated part.  There would be no way for the molded part to get off the mold core.

AUGs, P90s and F2000s are also two halves sandwiched together.  The FN guns are held with fasteners, the AUG appears to be vibe-welded.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/08/laser-ignition-system-voere-x3-rifle/

So, a few questions:

1. Is this real?

2. What's the catch?

3. Why aren't ECT systems a thing in small arms yet?

I've seen the patent before.  I believe there are artillery systems that use something similar.

The catch is where you replace a couple of pieces of metal and some springs with a friggen' laser.

I don't think ETC is a thing in real arms either, but I'm not sure what the holdup is.

It would be difficult to do the receiver as a single injection molded part because the internal cavity of a receiver is usually a fairly complicated part.  There would be no way for the molded part to get off the mold core.

AUGs, P90s and F2000s are also two halves sandwiched together.  The FN guns are held with fasteners, the AUG appears to be vibe-welded.

I've seen the patent before.  I believe there are artillery systems that use something similar.

The catch is where you replace a couple of pieces of metal and some springs with a friggen' laser.

I don't think ETC is a thing in real arms either, but I'm not sure what the holdup is.

The bit that fascinates me is that you've now got a laser and associated power supply capable of setting off a primer (presumably hundreds of times at least) which fits into a bolt. If you look at the estimates, this means that your potential output is 1-2.5J times however many shots the battery is rated for, all shoved fairly easily into a little metal tube.

Surely scaling up the size of the system (maybe with a bigger battery and cap bank that forms part of the magazine proper) nets you some kind of interesting booster to a conventional powder charge? Throwing a hundred extra joules into, say, a pistol sounds both eminently doable and useful in terms of increased velocity/novel powder composition/rapid burn rate or whatever.

As an interesting aside, I know of at least one ECT system that found commercial success: as a gene gun. The system used a water droplet suspended between two electrodes to provide the impulse which launched the particle carrier. It did this by zapping the droplet to produce a tiny steam explosion.

The system worked, but got overtaken by helium-based gene guns for what I assume are safety reasons.

As an interesting aside, I know of at least one ECT system that found commercial success: as a gene gun. The system used a water droplet suspended between two electrodes to provide the impulse which launched the particle carrier. It did this by zapping the droplet to produce a tiny steam explosion.

The system worked, but got overtaken by helium-based gene guns for what I assume are safety reasons.

Gene guns are awesome. I like the one that fires gold particles.

Also, which gene gun for white tail? Is there such thing as enough gene gun?

It's a CAA Roni Carbine. Another Israeli polymer abomination.

So would it be fair to say that the Israelis put out a lot of crap and the occasional gem that makes us forgive all of the crap? 

Also, who here wants to go on a PCC company I'm willing to start? I want to cash in on this craze. 

http://mechtechsys.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Retail-Price-list-2.pdf

Mech Tech offers kits for nearly $500. Just the kits! I know it can be done for less on cheaper material. 

Gene guns are awesome. I like the one that fires gold particles.

Also, which gene gun for white tail? Is there such thing as enough gene gun?

They can all fire gold, but tungsten is way cheaper.

Deer don't need a gene gun at all - no cell wall means that you can use other approaches and eggs are large enough for things like microinjection to be viable.

It is way harder to regenerate a bunch of deer from cell culture though.

In terms of enough gene gun, I once made a proposal for a microparticle carrier system for targeting buried meristem. It was suspiciously similar to a bullet coated with gold dust and fired at a plant...

Finally got to go to the local gun show, which would be the second time for me.  I've always got the misfortune of being out of town when they happen.

Anyways, usually all I have to look at in person are junky bubba'd bolt actions, so gun shows are really the only time I have to look at and talk about guns that aren't modern handguns or hunting rifles.  A guy there had a Russian Makarov, and I can confirm that I like how they felt in my hands. 

They also had a Polish TT-33, and I'm liking those guns a lot more now that I got to actually hold one, though I dunno if it's enough to make me get one instead of a Makarov.  I guess if anyone here owns a Tokarev, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the thing.  They're certainly easier and cheaper to find online than the Bulgarian Makarov.  It looks a lot like the Colt model 1903, and old Colt semi autos are another sort of gun that I really like the looks of.

In regards to stuff that's out of my budget and all that, I now have a thing for the Astra 600.  I don't know how good of guns those are, but it felt perfect in my hands, plus it's got that awkward old semi auto pistol look that I like.  Some chill old dude also had a MAS 36 in near perfect condition for $410.  I can see why people like the thing.  Despite looking like a brick, the thing is actually quite nice to hold.  If I had $410 to throw around then, I would have grabbed it.  Those little peephole sights work better than I imagined too.  Only other thing of note that I can recall at the moment was some guy desperately trying to get me to buy his K31.  There were also used Russian Mosins going for not much less than my M39.

This thread is now my blog

I have an Astra 600, they are beautifully machined, but point like a framing square.  Mine is quite accurate, once you get past the unusual recoil.

It is "brisk" not hard or painful, but you know it is not a locked breech.

Shot the Shtai-yah today. My first inpressions are that it makes minor but meaningful improvements over the Glock, while losing very little in trade.

Also, holy shit this gun is a value. You're getting a gun with a nice (little lighter than a Glock's ~7.5lbs, with much less creep) striker trigger, a finish comparable to HK or Walther's offerings, and a one-piece milled steel frame insert, all for a lower MSRP than a Glock or M&P. I got this thing from Bud's brand new for $480 SHIPPED, and it comes with a nice lockable case with laser cut foam inserts for the gun and included two mags.