Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Applesauce Bandit,

TT-33's in general are very very good guns, especially the Polish ones I've fired. I often use one as a carry gun during the really cold and wet or snowy weather. Really though, with a good holster etc my tt33 is solidly 3 season ccw compatible.

In some ways the TT carries shockingly better than even much "smaller" guns specifically designed to be ccw friendly.

That said, an m57 Yugo is for some odd reason just enough larger to be a horrible choice for ccw unless you are wearing insulated carhart bibs and jacket with no intention of removing the jacket at any point in your day.

This is odd to me because the additional 1 round of magazine capacity somehow takes the otherwise identical gun from 3 season ccw compatible all the way to just barely 1 season ccw compatible, and even in winter there are some days warm enough that it's really pushing the envelope.

a 7,62X39 AR is workable if you don't mind a sub 20 round mag cap.

Much beyond that, the "AR' definition begins to blur.

The latest 30s seem to work OK.

Honestly, 7.62x39 uppers are great for cheap hunting ARs. You only need to use 5 or 10 rounders in them for that, they'll take just about anything you want, and the ammo's cheap and plentiful.

Honestly, 7.62x39 uppers are great for cheap hunting ARs. You only need to use 5 or 10 rounders in them for that, they'll take just about anything you want, and the ammo's cheap and plentiful.

It's literally the best semi automatic hunting rifle for the lower 48. 

I'll admit, my info (personal) is dated. I have yet to deal with an AR in M43 that worked with a 30, but hell, after ~ 20 years I guess someone would stop sucking and make one.

It's literally the best semi automatic hunting rifle for the lower 48. 

No kidding, soft point 7,62X39 was the tits for deer when I was living in Michigan. Knew loads of people who took deer with the seemingly endless  sub $50.00 Chinese SKS's.  And one who's daughter used the bayonet.

Used the bayonet for more than a handy rifle-holder in soft soil? That's impressive.

I grew up hunting with a Norinco SKS. 154 grain Wolf SP did wonders on East Texas white tail. Sturgeon has lamented numerous times that there's not a quality semi-automatic "civilian" rifle that's either A) affordable or B ) worth a damn. And I agree. But the 7.62x39 AR15s certainly fill that niche now. It may not have civilian origins, but it's as close as we'll probably ever see.

Used the bayonet for more than a handy rifle-holder in soft soil? That's impressive.

I grew up hunting with a Norinco SKS. 154 grain Wolf SP did wonders on East Texas white tail. Sturgeon has lamented numerous times that there's not a quality semi-automatic "civilian" rifle that's either A) affordable or B) worth a damn. And I agree. But the 7.62x39 AR15s certainly fill that niche now. It may not have civilian origins, but it's as close as we'll probably ever see. 

We're stuck with ARs, which is a shame because they look like shit.

But if all you want to do is zap deer and most other kinds of game, 7.62x39 is the round for you. I dunno that I'd take it for moose, but that's just because nobody's taken my advice and made any 170gr pills for it yet.

I grew up hunting with a Norinco SKS. 154 grain Wolf SP did wonders on East Texas white tail. Sturgeon has lamented numerous times that there's not a quality semi-automatic "civilian" rifle that's either A) affordable or B) worth a damn. And I agree. But the 7.62x39 AR15s certainly fill that niche now. It may not have civilian origins, but it's as close as we'll probably ever see. 

We've been over this before.  The SKS bayonet is an essential accessory for hunters.  They need it for use as a monopod and as a tool for opening tinned food, tea and vodka.

We've been over this before.  The SKS bayonet is an essential accessory for hunters.  They need it for use as a monopod and as a tool for opening tinned food, tea and vodka.

Or for ramming a Michigan whitetail through the engine room, leaning on the stock and pinning it to the cold cold soil til it expires. Which is just what she did.

Personally I leaned more toward a 315 grain .303"  Dominion softpoint  delivered at a distance of no more than 40 yards into it's brain housing group, but that's just me.. Barring that I found that hitting them with a Western snowplow worked quite well.

We're stuck with ARs, which is a shame because they look like shit.

But if all you want to do is zap deer and most other kinds of game, 7.62x39 is the round for you. I dunno that I'd take it for moose, but that's just because nobody's taken my advice and made any 170gr pills for it yet.

Those mini-howa actions are pretty slick, as far as a small hunting gun goes. But you could always pull 7.62x54R ammo and load them up. 

All good choices. Though I wonder if you can use any part of the SKS bayonet to fix their side by side from-camp-to-blind $20k transport vehicles. 

Or for ramming a Michigan whitetail through the engine room, leaning on the stock and pinning it to the cold cold soil til it expires. Which is just what she did.

Personally I leaned more toward a 315 grain .303"  Dominion softpoint  delivered at a distance of no more than 40 yards into it's brain housing group, but that's just me.. Barring that I found that hitting them with a Western snowplow worked quite well.

Damn, girl had guts that's for sure. 

Was the snowplow incident kinda like this? 

noamsaying  gunsandrockets  6 months ago

I used the 243 in south Texas for deer hunting when I was a young pup, and found it to be a real marginal caliber for white tail. My opinion seems to be pretty common. Switched to a 7 millimeter magnum.

This is from Sturgeon's post about heavier, more modern 7.62x39 loadings. 

So South Texas deer are like 80 pounds TOPS. They are large dogs. The HUGE bucks might break 100 on average. 

And yeah, his opinion is common because hunters aren't shooters. "Crosshairs on the deer somewhere? YANK THAT TRIGGA!"

I've had to track more deer shot with UberMagnums than "marginal" calibers.

This is from Sturgeon's post about heavier, more modern 7.62x39 loadings. 

So South Texas deer are like 80 pounds TOPS. They are large dogs. The HUGE bucks might break 100 on average. 

And yeah, his opinion is common because hunters aren't shooters. "Crosshairs on the deer somewhere? YANK THAT TRIGGA!"

I've had to track more deer shot with UberMagnums than "marginal" calibers.

This is my personal deer rifle, I wouldn't trust my life to anything less.

Just saw the title change. Hahhhhh. 

Skimming through Sturgeon's article was giving me the giggles. I love it when people talk about taking 1000 yard shots while hunting. 

Imgur is down right now, but I have wonderful screen shots of people advocating 800 yard shots for  brand new hunters. 

Out of their Scout Rifles tm

A thousand yard shot in my neck of the woods would require scaling two mountains and traversing three streams with a total required trek of about two miles.

Good luck carrying your kill and your rifle and supplies through that.

The only time you're taking those sort of shots is with Mountain Goats. And even then...