Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Scout rifles are the dumbest fucking thing. Once you strip away all the unnecessary extra weight and mystique about Jeff Cooper, they just become "rifles".

Yeah. But you see, you need a weapons system that is complicated and requires enough of a skillset that only square-jawed Americans of good breeding can figure out how to use just in case that Scout rifle falls into the hands of a mongoloid, human wave Commie, that way the Red won't know how or have the skills to use it.

And Col. Cooper essentially wrote that while advocating its use.

Just saw the title change. Hahhhhh. 

Skimming through Sturgeon's article was giving me the giggles. I love it when people talk about taking 1000 yard shots while hunting. 

Imgur is down right now, but I have wonderful screen shots of people advocating 800 yard shots for  brand new hunters. 

Out of their Scout Rifles tm

My Grandfather, who was someone with vast experience hunting the biggest in North America including up in Alaska and even Several trips to Africa, told me that even though his decades of experience, you should generally take anyone who claims to take something past 200m as full of shit until proven otherwise.

Scout rifles are the dumbest fucking thing. Once you strip away all the unnecessary extra weight and mystique about Jeff Cooper, they just become "rifles".

Yeah, but who's dumber, Cooper for coming up with the concept, or Steyr for looking at his exact specifications and going "you know what? This sounds like a WONDERFUL concept that will surely be a hot seller, design a rifle around it immediately." ?

At least the Steyr Scout isn't as bad as the Ruger GSR

Blaspheme! 6804.jpg

source: http://wethearmed.com/rifles/which-scout-rifle-anybody-own-one-and-has-any-input/

How could you not love the lines of this... thing? What does the Stay-yar have that this doesn't? A nifty bipod built in? PSH! Who needs a bipod when you have a FLASH SUPPRESSOR? 

Blaspheme! 6804.jpg

source: http://wethearmed.com/rifles/which-scout-rifle-anybody-own-one-and-has-any-input/

How could you not love the lines of this... thing? What does the Stay-yar have that this doesn't? A nifty bipod built in? PSH! Who needs a bipod when you have a FLASH SUPPRESSOR? 

"CZs have bad wood"

Not even photoshop could cover up the fact that Ruger stocked their $1,100 MSRP rifle with a fucking two by four.

Blaspheme! 6804.jpg

Now they just need a larger receiver version to hunt dangerous game like Coyotes so you can chamber it something more fitting like .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Blaspheme! 6804.jpg

If I wanted a No5 Enfield, I'd buy a No5 Enfield. Or one of the repros, if I desired to shackle it with optics.

What are they, besides the trash-tier sniper rifle from Counterstrike?

In addition to what Sturgeon said, here's me being a lazy asshole quoting Wikipedia.

Note these were Jeff Coopers original specifications for his ideal concept design, the reason I mentioned Steyr in particular is because they were the first one to actually look at Cooper's strange fucking idea and actually make a product based on it. (Some people take anything Cooper says as the the word of god on anything firearms related.)

Drawing inspiration from several sources, specifically the Mannlicher–Schönauer of 1903 and the Winchester Model 1894, Cooper defined several distinguishing characteristics of a scout rifle:

• Calibre: a standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces or for its "slightly better ballistics."[5] As Cooper wrote, "A true Scout comes in .308 or 7mm-08."[6] The .243 Winchester is an alternative for young, small-framed, or recoil-shy people, but needs a 22" barrel. Cooper also commissioned "Lion Scout," chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge.
  • Action: all Copper's prototype scouts rifles were bolt-actions, however he said "if a semiautomatic action were made which was sufficiently compact and otherwise acceptable, it should certainly be considered". Cooper said the Brno ZKK 601 action is the closest to the guidelines. A bolt-action two-lug, 90° rotation was favored, as was the traditional Mauser claw extractor. The bolt knob should be smooth and round, not checkered and positioned far enough forward of the trigger to avoid pounding of the index finger during firing. The safety should be positive and include three positions. It should disconnect the trigger mechanism rather than blocking it. It should be strong and positive and work from front to rear, rear position "safe" and forward "fire."
  • Trigger: smooth and clean, and provide a crisp 3lb release.
  • Weight: an unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lb); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 pounds) the maximum acceptable.
  • Length: an overall length of 1 meter (39 inches) or less. These two characteristics place scout rifles into the general class of carbines.
  • Optics: a forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2 to 3 power. This preserves the shooter's peripheral vision, keeps the ejection port open to allow the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.
  • Reserve sights: ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight on the receiver bridge and not on the end of the barrel, where it catches on things, breaks, snags and muddies up. This allows the rifle to be accurately aimed at short to medium ranges even if the scope becomes damaged.
  • Stock: synthetic rather than wood stocks. Heel of the butt rounded to avoid snagging on the shirt. A spare magazine stored in the butt. A retractable bipod that does not protrude from the stock.
  • Magazine: magazine should be so constructed as to protect the points of soft point spitzer bullets as they ride in the magazine. Some sort of magazine cutoff permitting the rifle to be used in the single-shot mode with the magazine in reserve. As an alternative to the magazine cutoff is a detachable box magazine with a double intent which could be inserted to its first stop not allowing the bolt to feed it. When desired, the magazine could be pressed into its second stop, permitting the bolt to pick up the top cartridge.
  • Sling: a "Ching" or "CW" sling. Against common practice, Cooper advocated the use of a sling as a shooting aid. The Ching sling offers the convenience of a carrying strap and the steadiness of a target shooter's sling with the speed of a biathlete's sling. (The CW sling is a simpler version of a Ching sling, consisting of a single strap.)
  • Accuracy: should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 meters/yards (3 shot groups)

These features dictated short, thin barrels, synthetic stocks, and bolt actions. Other optional features included a retractable bipod, detachable magazines, a butt magazine, and an accessory rail for lights and other attachments. The addition of some of these features often render the rifle technically not a scout as originally defined, but this has come to be accepted by many as still conforming to the spirit if not the letter of the concept.

While browsing for other shit, I found "yet another fascinating article" written by Dr. Gary K Roberts, brought to you by ITS TACTICAL!

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/ammunition/military-ammunition-failures-and-solutions/

This is an endurance test of unmatched proportions, read at your own risk.

While browsing for other shit, I found "yet another fascinating article" written by Dr. Gary K Roberts, brought to you by ITS TACTICAL!

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/ammunition/military-ammunition-failures-and-solutions/

This is an endurance test of unmatched proportions, read at your risk.

Relevant quote at the end of the article.

Are you getting more than 14¢ of value per day from ITS?

Thanks to the generosity of our supporting members, we’ve eliminated annoying ads and obtrusive content. We want your experience here at ITS to be beneficial and enjoyable.

At ITS, our goal is to provide different methods, ideas and knowledge that could one day save your life. If you’re interested in supporting our mission and joining our growing community of supporters, click below to learn more.

No. No I did not get my 14 cents worth reading that article.