Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Speaking of 2009, and because I'm on a role with suffering, time to bring back the infamous ".50 GI SUPER ROUND, WILL TAKE SWAT BY STORM!" article.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/combat-test-gi-glock-21-50/?right=news%29

Sturgeon and I had a laugh over this one before.

Speaking of 2009, and because I'm on a role with suffering, time to bring back the infamous ".50 GI SUPER ROUND, WILL TAKE SWAT BY STORM!" article.

Guncrafter’s standard power factory round drives a 300-grain bullet at 700 to 725 fps, which translates into a 210 power factor. Felt recoil is comparable to a 230-grain .

That's not what power factor means.

I won’t lie to you: it has a bit of a bite to it when it goes off. The harmonic resonance that passes through the gun is enough to give your trigger finger a little sting

That's not what harmonic resonance means. 

Either way stopping power is what you’re looking for here, right?

That's not a thing.

This round can tear into an assailant’s vehicle with incapacitating force to the engine block and cooling system, thus taking the vehicle out of commission quickly

"Cooling system"... So, radiator? And when you say "engine block", you mean this pistol round will penetrate multiple inches of hardened steal and stop pistons from moving? 

My testing tends to be as real world as I can make it. I don’t really mess around with bench rests mostly because I really don’t give a hoot about taking measurements and the like. I prefer to shoot the weapon as if I were defending my home, fast and furious. 

But you didn't even try to stop a running engine with your new .50 GI wunderbullit. What's wrong with you?

This article is atrocious. 

That does translate to a USPSA 210 power factor.

Which is made up to allow the fudds, luddites, wibdowlickers and mouth breathers that shoot .45 in uspsa a handicap so that they can still play with the refined 9mm users.

Also, why use an IPSC formula when he clearly is only interested in TACTICAL HOME DEFENSES ?

This is actually a great deal, and they're throwing in 10 Lancers for a short time. If you want a nice midlength at a good price, this is a fine option.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=c4c1ae02ef-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-c4c1ae02ef-18834469

Again. Happiness is not having to panic buy AR rifles, paraphernalia and ammunition because of the results of an election. I've seen a slight dip in the prices of firearms related gear (I haven't been studiously looking, I'll admit, given my personal life). It'll be curious to see how low things go after the holidays and once the Inauguration is final.

Or whether the hoarding/shortage boom will continue with certain gun owners buying their 11th or 12th AR for use as their upstairs guest bathroom gun. 

I have noticed some price drops, would not mind being able to buy inexpensive AK clones and bitsa again, wish I'd held on to some of the ones I had.

For now just working (slowly) on my last AR build.  If laws soften, might build a SBR'd XM177 clone to go with it..

On 12/16/2016 at 4:51 AM, Khand-E Gen6 said:

Anyway, I was going to shit on this one last night, but I found a window to actually sleep, but this article is painfully bad, like, as bad as you'd expect from any armchair commando website with tactical in their name. Le'ts begin were Oedipus left off.

Well start with the opening line of the article, which says alot in how bad it's going to be.

Our combat gun test shows you can convert your Glock 21 into a hard-hitting Guncrafter Industries’ Glockzilla!

Do I really need to say anything on this one?

I take in a deep breath, steady my sights on the steel silhouette and squeeze off a round. The Glock 21 bucks in my hand with a fast, sharp recoil. As I watch the large, brass casing fly through the air I hear the loud “PONG!” of the 300-grain .50 caliber bullet slamming into the target 75 yards away…what, did he just say “.50 caliber?” Yup!

What?! did he just say someone had the idea to to chamber a gun in a cartridge that uses a projectile measuring 12.7mm in diameter? FUCKING REVOLUTIONARY! No one has ever thought of it before! well, maybe not as terribly as the designers of the .50 GI have thought of it before, but I'm not sure that's a title you want to be proud to have.

As if a .45ACP caliber Glock wasn’t perfection enough Guncrafter Industries decided to take the proven Glock 21 design and couple it with their masterfully engineered .50 caliber munitions into a drop in conversion unit.

"Masterfully Engineered"

giphy.gif

Also, as far as his perfection comment, if anything it shows just how good the Glock platform is in the sense it can use even the dumbest ideas like .50 GI and make them look merely mediocre instead of awful I guess.

I happened upon this kit at a trade show and it took me a moment to realize that the large cocktail-olive-sized rounds on the table were not mock-ups but actual working production rounds. I immediately placed a request for a unit and waited for my kit to arrive. When it did a few weeks later it was like Christmas morning. I love this thing!

Masterful Engineering, they can take what's in essence a blown out, shorter .45 ACP case with an even lower operating pressure (As in pitifully low, like 15,000ish PSI low) and the same rim diameter and actually make them into REAL AMMUNITION and not mere mock ups? Masterful engineering I say! Also, this "large cocktail-olive-sized rounds" comment should give you a good idea of where this is going. If not, you haven't been paying attention.

The slide and barrel are beautifully machined from stainless steel forgings, and are completed with a matte, brushed finish. The assembly comes complete with slide, barrel, spring assembly, and an 8 or 9 round magazine your pick. The assembly slides neatly onto your existing Glock 21 lower, and behaves exactly like the original. The fact that you instantly have 9 + 1 rounds of .50 caliber at your disposal makes this weapon more than just a really cool conversation piece.

"More then just a really cool conversion piece" ....how exactly? in the sense that it magically gives your gun that regularly has the capacity of a double stack the magazine capacity of a Single stack 1911A1 or +1 with an extended baseplate? wouldn't that make it less the just a rather shitty conversion piece? I don't know, maybe I'm just not TACTICAL enough to understand.

Does it have curb appeal? Oh yes, in spades! The first time I assembled the weapon and slid a magazine in, it felt exactly like a standard Glock 21. The Glock 21 coincidentally is a weapon that I know better than any other in the world. I was impressed that someone could actually take a weapon that I find to be perfect and actually improve upon it. It’s the Glock platform that is the standard by which all other pistols are judged. The question that I really had, though, was recoil.

Curb appeal in spades, which is why damn close to 8 years after this article was written, basically no one at all uses it!

Also, taking a weapon and chambering it for one of the worst cartridges designed in the modern age and going from a double stack to a single stack capacity = an improvement!

It’s a whale covered in Vaseline. I’ll wait ‘till you have that mental image…are you there yet? Alright, that is how I liken the experience of handling a fully loaded Desert Eagle. They’re quite the eye candy but aren’t practical weapons. Take the Glock 21, however, and you have a large, but not impossibly so, handgun. It can easily be concealed in any number of ways. I’ve always wanted to see a .50 caliber that could really be worked with by most average-sized folks. Guncrafter has found that balance in the Glock 21.

No, I'm still at the mental image of where I want to punch you in the face for actually writing that line and this article in general, how long should I wait? and you're terribly right about the Desert Eagle not being practical (this may be the only correct thing in this entire writeup), you just fail to lack the self awareness to see which other gun here isn't.

Recoil, I must tell you, was not as expected. I braced myself expecting a real wrist splitter but instead got a fast impulse just a hair’s breathe over that of a 230-grain .45ACP. This is due, in part, to the polymer construction of the Glock. The receiver absorbs a great deal of the recoil generated by the massive .50 GI round and saves the shooter from the abuse.

....What the fuck? if anything a polymer lower would increase recoil vs a steel or aluminum one as It's much lighter, if you don't know the actual upsides of using a polymer lower and why they're used, you have no business speaking on them.

The interesting part with this particular round is that it’s really s-l-o-w. The 275-grain JHP flies through the air at about 875 fps. The 300-grain JFP, however, lumbers along at an incredibly slow shuffle of 700 fps. It’s a slow little donkey of a round hits like you would not believe.  It actually pounded my steel target with so much force that it knocked the entire 100-pound plate and stand combo hard enough to make it furrow the ground it stood upon. I would suspect that even if a home invader were wearing body armor this round would probably split his sternum and disrupt the heart’s rhythm enough to possibly cause unconsciousness. Folks, these .50 calibers really do hit that hard. They caused dings in steel targets that normally fracture .40 and .45 cal rounds into so much dust.

This is literally the dumbest line of the entire article, as in, reading this makes me physically angry that someone got paid to honestly write this, where do I start?

1. why the fuck are you shooting steel targets at close range with TMJs and not frangibles? I guess that part about never shooting at hardened targets in the very first days of a gun safety class is just not tactical enough for him. Also, yes, the .50 GI is loaded with TMJs and not FMJs, which would make them even less likely to "fracture into so much dust" like those tiny .40 and .45 rounds that I would bet money were either frangible or at least FMJ that also traveled faster then the ever so blazing speed of 700 fps. (which would, once again, make it less likely to lose structural integrity, what, are we going to brag about how steel ball bearings out of a slingshot don't crumble into dust upon hitting something hard next?)

2. Who really cares how much it furrows the dirt around your targets? and you're telling me it caused DINGS? Holy fucking SHIT! seriously that's the most pointless statement you can possibly make.

3. "I would suspect that even if a home invader were wearing body armor this round would probably split his sternum and disrupt the heart’s rhythm enough to possibly cause unconsciousness" And judging by this statement, I would suspect you're borderline retarded and failed to learn what momentum is in school or actually know jack shit about body armor, I've written about this before on a similar case where someone said how pointless SCHV pistol/smg rounds like the 5.7x28mm are because "If I get hit with a .45, I'm dropping to the ground body armor or not!" which is patently false, the example I used was the north hollywood bank robbery/shootout where the 2 suspects were wearing full soft body armor, and considering the police didn't have rifles until much later in the incident, this allowed them to shrug off countless 9mm rounds that have about the same energy as .45 ACP and even shotgun blasts which are an order of magnitude stronger at that range then any of the rounds listed, it was the tiny poodle shooting 5.56mm chambered rifles they got from a local gun store that finally saved them because, unlike simply hitting their armor and doing nothing, they could fully penetrate it, shocking!

The idea that some absurdly low pressure, big dumb slow round like the .50 GI or similar rounds is going to stop someone in body armor rated to stop .44 Magnum rounds and 12 gauge plated buckshot (or even lead slugs) just because IT'S BIG AND HEAVY is fucking dumb and has been debunked both on paper and in live demonstrations countless times now, yet armchair commando idiots still cling to it.

Guncrafter is a progressive company sought to stand out in the already busy crowd of custom 1911 variants by introducing the Model 1 as a dedicated .50 caliber weapons platform. Designing a gun around a bullet is sort of like GE building the GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling Gun and then Fairchild Republic building the A-10 Warthog aircraft around it. Essentially, Guncrafter found something that was already out there and made it unique and reliable. Not to mention very desirable.

So progressive they introduced a round that would be out of date by the ever so recent year of 1900, also, what gun did they design exactly to fit around their cartridge? the 1911 has been around since....well, take a wild guess by the name? your comparison is bad and you should feel bad. they also didn't design the Glock 21 last I checked, which was "already out there" and "unique and reliable" (or, at least the Glock WAS unique at one point in time before everyone copied it), also, it's so desirable that, even to this day, no one but guncrafter themselves have actually loaded .50 GI commercially. That must be an indicator of great sales and desirability or something.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a weapon with high round count, capable of enough energy to punch into an assailant with the same force as a .41 Mag but in the controllable envelope of a polymer-framed Glock? Yeah, that’s a tall order. Isn’t it? Well, you’re looking at it.

Lets break this down.

Round count: down from 13 to 8 (or 9 with the retardedly big baseplate extension, single stack mag capacity from a double stack gun!)

"Same force as a .41 Mag" first comment. LOLOLOLOL, second comment, what exactly do the .50 GI and the .41 Remington Magnum have in common? being centerfire? being designed for firearms that fit in your hands?..... I give up.

3. Let's do some math here, he quotes 2 bullet weights and velocities in this article, 275 gr at 875 fps, and 300 gr at 700 (!) fps, that comes out to 635J on the first, which is actually lower then non range grade .40 S&W, 9mm Luger +P or even some standard pressure 9mm Luger loadings, And many regular pressure .45 ACP in many weights, let alone .45 ACP +P, the other load, the infamous "CAUSES DINGS AND DOESN'T SHATTER ON TARGETS, WILL TOTALLY BREAK SOMEONES STERNUM THROUGH BODY ARMOR AND KNOCK THEM OUT!" round, that comes in at a whopping 442J, this literally means that even .38 Special +P with a 158gr loading out a 4" barrel inefficient revolver, a round I consider one of the worst still in common use, is actually a stronger loading then the mystical loading he creamed his pants over.

The 41 Reminton Magnum? it can generate muzzle energies as high as 1,400-1,600 joules, out a revolver which are less efficient then semi autos. the 3 most common self defense rounds for pistols in the US throw the .50 GI in the dumpster, rounds like hotter 7.62mm Tokarev and 10mm Auto beat the shit out of of it, .41 Remington Magnum is not even a goddamn comparison, It shit fucks it in every way possible. (It's also somewhat ironic he went for a somewhat unpopular magnum like the .41 while harping about this complete flop of a cartridge and how desirable it will be, It was for a time chambered in the Desert Eagle he himself admits isn't practical, it was dropped because it didn't sell as well as the other caliber offerings, It's also pretty much the only semi auto I can think of that ever chambered it, though maybe some more obscure ones like the AMT Automag series did at some point, I'd have to double check that one though.)

So, where exactly is this tall order you're speaking of, I'm not seeing it? is it coming later? maybe in 10 years instead of 8? (which is 2 more rounds then your conversion kit holds.)

I've had enough of this shit for now and can only take so much at once, I might do a part 2 later maybe idk.

Also, some pre notes for the above.

1. I am the king of pedantry, so, I must say that if you try to use my ability against me and point out that a 5.7x28mm SMG is actually a "PDW", I'll get Donward to hire a hardcore gimp to find you and shove a live salmon all the way up your asshole.

2. The reason I consider .38 Special so bad is because It's also a dated cartridge with an incredibly low chamber pressure while being physically longer then many semi auto cartridges and rimmed limiting it to revolvers or specially designed semi autos (but why do that for .38 Special, honestly?), but considering it's age, it at least has an excuse. but really, the .38 Special essentially fires a 9mm projectile contrary to It's name due to different standards of measurments (which is why it can fit into the chamber of a .357 Magnum, the 9mm Luger fires a .355 diameter bullet for reference).  if you want a relatively cheap short, sub compact defensive gun with little recoil, don't buy some shitty small frame snub nose revolver in .38 Special, get something like a G43 or a Surplus Makarov. (Despite Makarovs often being called full sized service pistols, They're actually rather small.) If you want a regular compact or full size, just buy a 9mm Luger Glock or CZ or one of the evelenty billion clones for them on the market at a reasonable price (You can get a Glock or CZ-75B or most of CZ's non competition offerings new for like $500 or less if you find a good deal). despite being physically smaller, 9mm Luger beats the shit out of .38 Special performance wise, has far more guns and modern ammunition choices to choose from, and said guns carry alot more while being more durable and reliable. (Speaking of Donward, Dealwithit.gif)

Sure, if you have to use something pedestrian.

But .38 AMU is the very pinnacle of wadcutter technology!

For those not in on the joke, .38 AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) was a special cartridge intended for competitive shooting.

c2neNKC.jpg

It fires cylindrical bullets (wadcutters) which punch a very neat, clean hole in paper.  This makes tallying the score easy and unambiguous.

The round was fired from heavily modified 1911 pistols that were lovingly tinkered with by AMU gunsmiths until they were precision laser-guided scalpel launchers.

Anyway, I was going to shit on this one last night, but I found a window to actually sleep, but this article is painfully bad, like, as bad as you'd expect from anyway armchair commando website with tactical in their name. Le'ts begin were Oedipus left off.

Well start with the opening line of the article, which says alot in how bad it's going to be.

Do I really need to say anything on this one?

What?! did he just say someone had the idea to to chamber a gun in a cartridge that uses a projectile measuring 12.7mm in diameter? FUCKING REVOLUTIONARY! No one has ever thought of it before! well, maybe not as terribly as the designers of the .50 GI have thought of it before, but I'm not sure that's a title you want to be proud to have.

"Masterfully Engineered"

giphy.gif

Also, as far as his perfection comment, if anything it shows just how good the Glock platform is in the sense it can use even the dumbest ideas like .50 GI and make them look merely mediocre instead of awful I guess.

Masterful Engineering, they can take what's in essence a blown out, shorter .45 ACP case with an even lower operating pressure (As in pitifully low, like 15,000ish PSI low) and the same rim diameter and actually make them into REAL AMMUNITION and not mere mock ups? Masterful engineering I say! Also, this "large cocktail-olive-sized rounds" comment should give you a good idea of where this is going. If not, you haven't been paying attention.

"More then just a really cool conversion piece" ....how exactly? in the sense that it magically gives your gun that regularly has the capacity of a double stack the magazine capacity of a Single stack 1911A1 or +1 with an extended baseplate? wouldn't that make it less the just a rather shitty conversion piece? I don't know, maybe I'm just not TACTICAL enough to understand.

Curb appeal in spades, which is why damn close to 8 years after this article was written, basically no one at all uses it!

Also, taking a weapon and chambering it for one of the worst cartridges designed in the modern age and going from a double stack to a single stack capacity = an improvement!

No, I'm still at the mental image of where I want to punch you in the face for actually writing that line and this article in general, how long should I wait? and you're terribly right about the Desert Eagle not being practical (this may be the only correct thing in this entire writeup), you just fail to lack the self awareness to see which other gun here doesn't.

....What the fuck? if anything a polymer lower would increase recoil vs a steel or aluminum one as It's much lighter, if you don't know the actual upsides of using a polymer lower and why they're used, you have no business speaking on them.

This is literally the dumbest line of the entire article, as in, reading this makes me physically angry that someone got paid to honestly write this, where do I start?

1. why the fuck are you shooting steel targets at close range with TMJs and not frangibles? I guess that part about never shooting at hardened targets in the very first days of a gun safety class is just not tactical enough for him. Also, yes, the .50 GI is loaded with TMJs and not FMJs, which would make them even less likely to "fracture into so much dust" like those tiny .40 and .45 rounds that I would bet money were either frangible or at least FMJ that also traveled faster then the ever so blazing speed of 700 fps. (which would, once again, make it less likely to lose structural integrity, what, are we going to brag about how steel ball bearings out of a slingshot don't crumble into dust upon hitting something hard next?)

2. Who really cares how much it furrows the dirt around your targets? and you're telling me it caused DINGS? Holy fucking SHIT! seriously that's the most pointless statement you can possibly make.

3. "I would suspect that even if a home invader were wearing body armor this round would probably split his sternum and disrupt the heart’s rhythm enough to possibly cause unconsciousness" And judging by this statement, I would suspect you're borderline retarded and failed to learn what momentum is in school or actually know jack shit about body armor, I've written about this before on a similar case where someone said how pointless SCHV pistol/smg rounds like the 5.7x28mm are because "If I get hit with a .45, I'm dropping to the ground body armor or not!" which is patently false, the example I used was the north hollywood shootout where the 2 suspects were wearing full soft body armor, and considering the police didn't have rifles until much later in the incident, this allowed them to shrug off countless 9mm rounds that have about the same energy as .45 ACP and even shotgun blasts which are an order of magnitude stronger at that range then any of the rounds listed, it was the tiny poodle shooting 5.56mm chambered rifles they got from a local gun store that finally saved them because, unlike simply hitting their armor and doing nothing, they could fully penetrate it, shocking!

The idea that some absurdly low pressure, big dumb slow round like the .50 GI or similar rounds is going to stop someone in body armor rated to stop .44 Magnum rounds and 12 gauge plated buckshot (or even lead slugs) just because IT'S BIG AND HEAVY is fucking dumb and has been debunked both on paper and in live demonstrations countless times now, yet armchair commando idiots still cling to it.

So progressive they introduced a round that would be out of date by the ever so recent year of 1900, also, what gun did they design exactly to fit around their cartridge? the 1911 has been around since....well, take a wild guess by the name? your comparison is bad and you should feel bad. they also didn't design the Glock 21 last I checked, which was "already out there" and "unique and reliable" (or, at least the Glock WAS unique at one point in time before everyone copied it), also, it's so desirable that, even to this day, no one but guncrafter themselves have actually loaded .50 GI commercially. That must be an indicator of great sales and desirability or something.

Lets break this down.

Round count: down from 13 to 8 (or 9 with the retardedly big baseplate extension, single stack mag capacity from a double stack gun!)

"Same force as a .41 Mag" first comment. LOLOLOLOL, second comment, what exactly do the .50 GI and the 41. Remington Magnum have in common? being centerfire? being designed for firearms that fit in your hands?..... I give up.

3. Let's do some math here, he quotes 2 bullet weights and velocities in this article, 275 gr at 875 fps, and 300 gr at 700 (!) fps, that comes out to 635J on the first, which is actually lower then non range grade .40 S&W, 9mm Luger +P or even some standard pressure 9mm Luger loadings, And many regular pressure .45 ACP in many weights, let alone .45 ACP +P, the other load, the infamous "CAUSES DINGS AND DOESN'T SHATTER ON TARGETS, WILL TOTALLY BREAK SOMEONES STERNUM THROUGH BODY ARMOR AND KNOCK THEM OUT!" round, that comes in at a whopping 442J, this literally means that even .38 Special +P with a 158gr loading out a 4" barrel inefficient revolver, a round I consider one of the worst still in common use, is actually a stronger loading then the mystical loading he creamed his pants over.

The 41 Reminton Magnum? it can generate muzzle energies as high as 1,400-1,600 joules, out a revolver which are less efficient then semi autos. the 3 most common self defense rounds for pistols in the US throw the .50 GI in the dumpster, rounds like hotter 7.62mm Tokarev and 10mm Auto beat the shit out of of it, .41 Remington Magnum is not even a goddamn comparison, It shit fucks it in every way possible. (It's also somewhat ironic he went for a somewhat unpopular magnum like the .41 while harping about this complete flop of a cartridge and how desirable it will be, It was for a time chambered in the Desert Eagle he himself admits isn't practical, it was dropped because it didn't sell as well as the other caliber offerings, It's also pretty much the only semi auto I can think of that ever chambered it, though maybe some more obscure ones like the AMT Automag series did at some point, I'd have to double check that one though.)

So, where exactly is this tall order you're speaking of, I'm not seeing it? is it coming later? maybe in 10 years instead of 8? (which is 2 more rounds then your conversion kit holds.)

I've had enough of this shit for now and can only take so much at once, I might do a part 2 later maybe idk.

This is a brilliant takedown and should be recorded for the ages.