Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Pistol rounds are bad at killing people.

We already knew that.

Here's more on exactly how bad they are.

Remarkably, Palmer had taken 22 hits from Soulis' .40-caliber Glock, 17 of which had hit center mass. Despite the fact that the weapon had been loaded with Ranger SXTs considered by many to be one of the best man-stoppers available Palmer lived for more than four minutes after the last shot was fired. His autopsy revealed nothing more than a small amount of alcohol in his bloodstream.

The internet also reliably tells me that I'm a horrible person and going to be killed if I ever have to use my gun defensively because I sometimes load carry guns with 115 grain fmj...

Funny though because I have had a defensive shooting incident and choosing to carry fmj loaded mags is likely why I'm the sole person who walked away that night because the PEOPLE who chose to go OK fuckin corral on me also chose not to leave the safety of their vehicle before doing so!

Luckily for me, I was too broke to buy good defensive ammunition at the time... For that matter, my gun was also not anyone's first choice combat pistol that night either since it was a $189 surplus Astra A100 from who knows where!

I actually credit my survival to good situational awareness, since it's the only thing I did "right" in the entire situation. This awareness made me realize that the car full of cholos was bird dogging me and set me immediately kicking gears on my street bike so I could at least pick a nice place to die...

Banged blind around a corner in a part of town I didn't know, saw the nicely floodlit bank parking lot locked up my front and rear brakes so I could bomb over the curb and got myself nice and brightly lit from behind by the floods with the bike crosswise to where they were pulling into the parking lot and got my kickstand down slammed my helmet and backpack off and about the time I got my gun clear and almost up I was getting shot at.

I lived

They didn't

Completely unashamed to say that I was bawling like a little girl when I called 911 as I was trying to stuff loose rounds from another box of fmj I had in the backpack into magazines screaming for them to send someone to come help me.

That's what I get for working shifts overnight remodeling grocery stores through a temp service in a shitty part of the Phoenix metro area and riding a motorcycle home at 3 am...

Either way though, basically the only stuff I did right was realizing that I had a problem early, reacting promptly to it, and having a gun with which I could defend myself with...

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that my open carrying in a cheap surplus military style thigh holster is what marked me as a target worth hitting in the first place.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

There was that one incident where the guy took like 27 rounds of .45 JHP and kept kicking.

I know I was very surprised at just how little starch it took out of my assailants when I realized I had actually planted rounds into at least one of their torso's...

I remember thinking as I locked back empty off the magazine originally in the pistol that it was like those bad dreams where you hit the other guy and it just has no effect at all.

I had 15 +1 in the chamber and two spare loaded 15 round magazines at the start of the fight and I pumped every single round I had Into them and their car. I expended every single round I had, and it was just barely enough! 

The way it all went down heavily reinforced my belief in carrying a gun and ammunition combination that allows for a high total round count even at the expense of individual round effectiveness. I believe this is justified though since pistol rounds just are not effective at stopping a situation on a one for one basis, and you're pretty much guaranteed to need to shoot someone several times before they will stop being a threat.

Your mileage may vary in all of this, it's just what I believe based on my singular experience with gun fights.