Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

6 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Looser I'm 95% certain that it's an SVD barreled action installed in a chassis system that completely replaces more iconic and recognizable dragunov / furniture sets that made it so very easy identify each variant / model by the furniture sets used .

In Russia alone there's several different commercial and or aftermarket chassis systems available for purchase!

Throw in those made in former wp nations which had domestic SVD production or just large stores of them collecting dust in the corner of arms warehouses etc, and the total number of production chassis systems is likely to be staggering!

It kind of looks as though the barrel may be shortened as well.

I also thought that this is an SVD or SVD-S with aftermarket chassis, but can't say for sure if it really is.

If we could see the magazine well and magazine in the gun at the time of picture taking we would have no problem identifying what model it began life as before conversion, the country of origin, and caliber the gun. 

From there it would drastically simplify identifying the company that produced the chassis, country of chassis origin, and specific make and model of chassis / which factory options etc it has.

The whole process would take 10 minutes... This though....

This is hard

5 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

I also thought that this is an SVD or SVD-S with aftermarket chassis, but can't say for sure if it really is.

Agreed, between the fact that the barreled actions are almost always modified and standard military issue muzzle devices etc swapped out for commercially produced parts whose design function and aesthetics are completely without any guidelines other than "you must turn in ALL original parts issued with the gun if returning an issue weapon to the armory for repair or replacement" .... We have no actual 100% verifiable information with which to make anything other than a wild ass guess to the gun's specifics!

Other than that it is a member of the SVD design based family.

22 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Actually, all of the top three competitors were deemed satisfactory, the contract pretty much came down to licensing and bids.

Oh wow I can see why Sig won after reading your article. Glock has no ground to stand on when their bid cost more than half again as much.

Yes, that is a massively convincing justification. I don't think it rules out some dirty behavior on the part of SIG, but damn. You'd think if they were pulling strings their bid would be higher.

A buddy of mine believes SIG may be banking on contract amendments that net them more dough, though. Could be, but there's no direct evidence for that yet.

On 6/30/2017 at 0:49 AM, roguetechie said:

The cost per actual pistol in the Sig contract made me wish that the army would let us get in on a group buy...

$216 or something like that!

I'd buy 3 just for the hell of it at that price!

$207 I think

I had a P320 a while back around the time they first came out and sold it pretty quickly. I do not understand why everyone hypes the shit out of them so much even before the MHS decision.

*Sees the SIG logo on the side.*

.....Oh.

9 hours ago, Khand-e said:

$207 I think

I had a P320 a while back around the time they first came out and sold it pretty quickly. I do not understand why everyone hypes the shout out of them so much even before the MHS decision.

.....Oh.

Yeah but someone is already making an 80% registered component... If Sig can be not stupid and play Glocks gouging game they have real potential for becoming very very strong in the pistol market...

I still won't buy one, but I'm a minority in feeling that way.

When I can carry a full size or compact pistol though I pretty much never carry anything but my Grand powers anymore.

I have a total obsession with the rotating barrel short recoil mechanism though and would like to collect at least one of each of the rapidly expanding modern designs using variations of this system. There's quite a damn lot of them though, and more every year!

(Thank god too because tilting barrel short recoil presents quite a few issues these days with the stuff people expect out of pistols)

11 hours ago, Khand-e said:

$207 I think

I had a P320 a while back around the time they first came out and sold it pretty quickly. I do not understand why everyone hypes the shout out of them so much even before the MHS decision.

.....Oh.

Eh, I was young and dumb once and in the wake of the whole gunfight at the cholo corral bullshit where I somehow survived even though I was using a cheap ass $179 Astra a100 and 115 grain surplus fmj I went WAAAYYY OUT to the other extreme and wound up with a five 7 a ps90 an f2000 a Sig 226 "special stupid duper seal team thix" special edition and loaded the damn things all with stupid expensive ammo over the course of the next couple years...

Then I realized that spending $1000 on two different pistols and more than a grand on a 22 mag subgun with delusions of grandeur while my actual rifles cost nothing near that much!

I'm not saying any of them are bad guns in the slightest, I liked and still occasionally miss all of them. But with my income tax bracket, coupled with my poor natural hand eye coordination, and my need to be gun Noah (2 of ALL THE THINGS) it just wasn't really fiscally prudent. Nor did it show proper weighting of priorities / I was not spending money on parts of the hobby I liked so I could afford to keep stuff I didn't need.

Now, my obsession with rotating barrel locking system short recoil pistols is much more rooted in the practical. I know that I'm never going to be anything but a half decent pistolero, but the two things that would immensely help me and my shooting are low bore axis guns with fairly long barrels/thin grips over true double stack mag and a higher velocity flatter shooting lower recoil round.

I see the rotating barrel locking system guns as most likely to fit my needs/have actions that will be conducive of cheating some key dimensions and geometry in order to fit rounds with a smaller diameter but longer COAL than 9x19 (likely riding a sabot).

I'm proceeding with a definite end state in mind at least...