Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

No you see, soldiers will not run out of ammo sooner than with a 5.56 rifle because they are going to make them carry the same quantity. Also wanting mags for 210 rounds when no one makes 30 round .308 mags?

To me this is a backdoor method to force the adoption of a new cartridge like .264 USA or whatever. Once they get their AR-10 type rifle it will be a simple matter to caliber swap.

17 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

No you see, soldiers will not run out of ammo sooner than with a 5.56 rifle because they are going to make them carry the same quantity. Also wanting mags for 210 rounds when no one makes 30 round .308 mags?

To me this is a backdoor method to force the adoption of a new cartridge like .264 USA or whatever. Once they get their AR-10 type rifle it will be a simple matter to caliber swap.

They're pretty up front about the caliber swap option down the road, but it will be to .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. This will also be stupid as hell.

Yes, Jim Schatz was extremely well-regarded, but also extremely biased.

Although, not sure where you're getting your figures from. M80A1 is approx. 23.7 grams per, versus 12.0 grams per for M855A1. So I am getting 106 rounds brass-cased, 139 for brass-based composite polymer cased.

Forgotten Weapons takes a look at the Breda Modello 30:

Here are my takeaways:

1)  These must have cost an absurd amount of money.  The receiver is extremely large, and has a large amount of complex machining.

2)  Is that magazine... milled?  It really looks milled.

3)  DON'T TRUST PRINT SOURCES!  The disassembly makes it very clear that this gun is recoil operated.  Wikipedia (and whatever Wikipedia is cribbing from) says it's blowback operated.

18 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

The magazine was never meant to leave the gun, so I assume they figured milled was ok? 

Regardless, that rifle is pants on head retarded.

Yep.  The design is horrible on many levels.  The video is worth watching for aspiring designers as a guide of what not to do.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:16 AM, Collimatrix said:

Forgotten Weapons takes a look at the Breda Modello 30:

Here are my takeaways:

1)  These must have cost an absurd amount of money.  The receiver is extremely large, and has a large amount of complex machining.

2)  Is that magazine... milled?  It really looks milled.

3)  DON'T TRUST PRINT SOURCES!  The disassembly makes it very clear that this gun is recoil operated.  Wikipedia (and whatever Wikipedia is cribbing from) says it's blowback operated.

For the individual shooter though, they are really nice . 

A friend owned one and it handled well. Weird, but well.