Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

11 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Perfect if you own a homicidal, anthropomorphic Glock with an anger problem?

How so? The directivity doesn't seem to change much (the left and behind positions both see the same drop), is there a fuckton of ultrasonics that gets attenuated between the muzzle and the measurement locations that the silencer cuts out?

10 dB isn't bad, that's a factor of 10 less intensity. It is a shame they didn't show the silencer interior or the exact measurement setup, that must be for the special US-only versions of the presentation.

1 hour ago, Xlucine said:

How so? The directivity doesn't seem to change much (the left and behind positions both see the same drop), is there a fuckton of ultrasonics that gets attenuated between the muzzle and the measurement locations that the silencer cuts out?

10 dB isn't bad, that's a factor of 10 less intensity. It is a shame they didn't show the silencer interior or the exact measurement setup, that must be for the special US-only versions of the presentation.

I am not an expert on sound, so I am just going off the test results I've seen for suppressors. Basically, the dB reduction is highly dependent on sensor location, which is why a lot of industry dB reduction figures are BS.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

I am not an expert on sound, so I am just going off the test results I've seen for suppressors. Basically, the dB reduction is highly dependent on sensor location, which is why a lot of industry dB reduction figures are BS.

Interesting, they must have got lucky when they didn't show any directivity effects. Or it could be non-linear, that'd explain a lot

7 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Dear god shoot me

Hey, here's an idea: Maybe you just went in one eye and out the other?

I don't need to shoot you @Sturgeon I just need to get a near miss with a .50 bmg and it will suck the eyeballs straight out of your skull sockets.

That's called physics.

Glad the guy brought enough gun to take down a vicious white tail doe. Anything less, and he'd be a dead man.

12 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

If you are using .50 BMG to hunt whitetail deer you are part of the fucking problem.

I'm not even against that. Fuck it, use whatever. I'll laugh at you, but at the end of the day it's your money and time. Especially with a culling.

It's the explanation he gives that flies in the face of the fucking footage. 

1 minute ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

As someone who's shot  a rabbit with a .308 (FN FAL, SA surplus ammo, 100 yards, and yes I ate it), I know just what my mileage is. 

Offhand opportunity shooting is understood.  I know someone who decapitated a partridge with a .308 while deer hunting.  But .308 is generally too much round when you are purpose hunting rabbits.

11 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Using .50 BMG for whitetail is kinda like using .308 to hunt rabbits IMO.  YMMV.

Why wouldn't you use .308 for rabbits?

I mean what's the real concern here? That it's unethical? It's not. .50 BMG will kill a deer just fine. It won't blow it to tiny bits, like in the movies. So what's the issue?

Obviously, who wants to haul a .50 through the woods, but if you're just going to the deer blind for culling and you want to have a little fun, I don't see the issue.

35 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Why wouldn't you use .308 for rabbits?

I mean what's the real concern here? That it's unethical? It's not. .50 BMG will kill a deer just fine. It won't blow it to tiny bits, like in the movies. So what's the issue?

Obviously, who wants to haul a .50 through the woods, but if you're just going to the deer blind for culling and you want to have a little fun, I don't see the issue.

I myself enjoy hauling a gun that's 30+ lbs unloaded through rough wooded terrain in the freezing cold.