Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

8 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah that's so common a lot of places have laws on the books about it.

The original laws were meant to stop spotlighters. 

Deer do this very odd thing, where they walk toward bright lights. I've witnessed it and even done it a few times. Easy to stick a light out the truck, hit eye shine, they walk to you, and you shoot them with a shotgun. 

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

The original laws were meant to stop spotlighters. 

Deer do this very odd thing, where they walk toward bright lights. I've witnessed it and even done it a few times. Easy to stick a light out the truck, hit eye shine, they walk to you, and you shoot them with a shotgun. 

I'm not much of a hunter like some of my family was but.....I would very much like to witness this firsthand sometime.

22 hours ago, Donward said:

I don't need to shoot you @Sturgeon I just need to get a near miss with a .50 bmg and it will suck the eyeballs straight out of your skull sockets.

That's called physics.

Glad the guy brought enough gun to take down a vicious white tail doe. Anything less, and he'd be a dead man.

Better not let them know that a lot of my late relatives used to take "government beef" using a .22 single shot. 

Who knows, the DOD might decide that odd contrivance of Willams' is a suitable replacement for the M2.

20 hours ago, Belesarius said:

Using .50 BMG for whitetail is kinda like using .308 to hunt rabbits IMO.  YMMV.

Meh, once watched a guy use a 20X138mm Lahti on sod-poodles. 

Just aimed at the base of their little mound, and blew them to fuzzy pate. The local coyotes were much amused at the offerings, but howled at the lack of proper toasts.

About that issue of needing STAHPING POWAH in order to rid the world of vermin.

84-year old Korean War vet shoots and kills intruder

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/north/2017/12/09/Intruder-killed-in-Lawrence-County-home-invasion-was-a-relative-of-homeowner/stories/201712090114

Don Lutz lives in a suburb of Pittsburg and sleeps with a loaded .380 semi-auto pistol under his pillow. Hearing the sound of breaking glass, he confronted two men in his home and fired, hitting one of the intruders, whom he estimated to weigh about 300 pounds, and killed him with a single shot. 

"It was pitch black. I met one face-on, and he reached out and grabbed at me. I shot him," Mr. Lutz recounted. Though mortally wounded, the intruder tussled with Mr. Lutz with assistance from the second intruder. The three scuffled on the kitchen floor when the wounded intruder "rolled over dead." The second intruder ran out the front door.

"The police couldn't find the bullet. It went clean through him," Mr. Lutz said. "I hope the police find the other guy."

Fucking around and getting plugged by 84-year old Korean War veterans seems to be a pastime for Pittsburg burglars given that one was shot previously in 2012 by a vet wielding a German Luger. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141883/84-year-old-war-veteran-shoots-home-invasion-suspect-gun-Second-World-War.html

13 hours ago, Donward said:

About that issue of needing STAHPING POWAH in order to rid the world of vermin.

84-year old Korean War vet shoots and kills intruder

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/north/2017/12/09/Intruder-killed-in-Lawrence-County-home-invasion-was-a-relative-of-homeowner/stories/201712090114

Don Lutz lives in a suburb of Pittsburg and sleeps with a loaded .380 semi-auto pistol under his pillow. Hearing the sound of breaking glass, he confronted two men in his home and fired, hitting one of the intruders, whom he estimated to weigh about 300 pounds, and killed him with a single shot. 

"It was pitch black. I met one face-on, and he reached out and grabbed at me. I shot him," Mr. Lutz recounted. Though mortally wounded, the intruder tussled with Mr. Lutz with assistance from the second intruder. The three scuffled on the kitchen floor when the wounded intruder "rolled over dead." The second intruder ran out the front door.

"The police couldn't find the bullet. It went clean through him," Mr. Lutz said. "I hope the police find the other guy."

Fucking around and getting plugged by 84-year old Korean War veterans seems to be a pastime for Pittsburg burglars given that one was shot previously in 2012 by a vet wielding a German Luger. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141883/84-year-old-war-veteran-shoots-home-invasion-suspect-gun-Second-World-War.html

I know one of my granddads felt very secure with a Beretta '34 he brought back from Italy, resting in his nightstand. 

One of my uncles still has it. It's an ugly POS. But I bet it's still a functional piece. 

Me, I have a MkVI Webley by my bed.  There is no "cess" like "Excess".

4 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

From an early test report of the MKb.42(H):

"Test firing with velocity meter indicates bolt unlocking under significant pressure"

Interesting that @Collimatrix and I had the same assessment of an StG.44 we fired several years ago.

The gouts of orange flame visible at midday spilling out of the ejection port were sort of a clue.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, Sturgeon said:

From an early test report of the MKb.42(H):

"Test firing with velocity meter indicates bolt unlocking under significant pressure"

Interesting that @Collimatrix and I had the same assessment of an StG.44 we fired several years ago.

Shoot one at night. That'll tell all.