Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

https://www.kalashnikov.ru/po-motivam-alatau-pulemyot-ots-128/

OTs-128 based on Alatau LMG, now in 7.62x51 mm catridge.

P5163200.jpg

Features of the OTs-128 machine gun feeding system made it possible to achieve a unique high practical rate of fire, since when changing the box with the belt, it is not necessary to fit that belt into a feeding mechanism.
   In the transport position, the buttstock is folded to the right side of the weapon with a turn, making it into a handle for carrying and protecting the sight devices from damage.
   About 20,000 shots were fired from the LMG shown in the photographs.

P5163206.jpg

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

People on otvaga are trying to understand what the hell is this thing.

2c34354009ac8b8c8bfe328d579474264a3f4663e858f1e6a0dfeedd7b8603cb.jpg

I am probably re-stating the obvious here, but this looks like an attempt to make an all-in-one heavy machine gun/light autocannon/grenade launcher.

The round on the left looks like a dummy 14.5x114mm, the round in the middle looks like the same case, but necked down to 12.7mm, and the case on the right is a mock-up of a grenade cartridge.  All three cases have the same rim and body dimensions, so they can all use the same links.  I don't recognize the links, they don't look like links for a 23mm cannon or for a 14.5mm HMG.

21 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

I am probably re-stating the obvious here, but this looks like an attempt to make an all-in-one heavy machine gun/light autocannon/grenade launcher.

The round on the left looks like a dummy 14.5x114mm, the round in the middle looks like the same case, but necked down to 12.7mm, and the case on the right is a mock-up of a grenade cartridge.  All three cases have the same rim and body dimensions, so they can all use the same links.  I don't recognize the links, they don't look like links for a 23mm cannon or for a 14.5mm HMG.

The fat boi cartridge case looks to be semi-rimmed.  I'm guessing that it is in the 25mm range.

5 hours ago, D.E. Watters said:

The fat boi cartridge case looks to be semi-rimmed.  I'm guessing that it is in the 25mm range.

If it is semi-rimmed but the others are not, how does it fit into the common link?

I'm pretty sure that the dummy cartridge on the left of the picture is 14.5x114mm.  The proportions look about right, and all Russian ammunition of larger caliber is extensively crimped at the neck.  Ironing out a 14.5mm cartridge would get you about 25mm.

The brass AGL cartridge is also clearly a dummy.  And it wouldn't have been too hard to make that necked-down 12.7-14.5mm wildcat either.

This entire thing strikes me as the sort of thing that could be made easily and cheaply as a way to impress officials.  Then the company could begin actually working on the concept once they secure funding.

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

If it is semi-rimmed but the others are not, how does it fit into the common link?

Perhaps that's why they made a new common link, instead of using the legacy KPV link?  You are either going to use a semi-rim or belt on a cartridge like that.  I wouldn't trust the rotating band for headspacing.

FWIW:  The US played with its Cal .60 case by necking it down to 12.7mm and all the way up to 27mm before deciding upon the 20x102mm.

18 hours ago, D.E. Watters said:

Perhaps that's why they made a new common link, instead of using the legacy KPV link?  You are either going to use a semi-rim or belt on a cartridge like that.  I wouldn't trust the rotating band for headspacing.

FWIW:  The US played with its Cal .60 case by necking it down to 12.7mm and all the way up to 27mm before deciding upon the 20x102mm.

That's a good point.  The only issue with a semi-rim is that it necessitates the use of a new bolt face for the AGL variant.

Maybe it would have made more sense to use 23x152mmB ammunition as the starting point.