Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

About 7N39:

In 2013, the Vympel plant together with FSUE TsNIITochMash and OOO TekhKomplekt at its own expense completed a development work on the manufacture of a new cartridge with the code designation "Igolnik", under the GRAU designation 7N39. This munition has 1.8 times more penetration characteristics than the existing 7N24 armor-piercing cartridge. The 7N39 armor-piercing bullet contains a steel jacket clad with a tampac, a hard-alloy core and a lead shirt. The core was made of tungsten-cobalt powders with a tungsten carbide content of 92% by weight and cobalt of 8% by weight, it has an “HRA” hardness of at least 85.0 units, and also a flexural strength of at least 2000 MPa. The head of the carbide core is made pointed.

Characteristics of the cartridge:

• Caliber - 5.45x39;
  • length, mm - 56.6-57.0;
  • The mass of the cartridge, g - 10.60-10.72.

Characterization of powder charge:

• Type of powder - smokeless, pyroxylin;
  • Brand gunpowder - SSNf 30 / 3.69;
  • The mass of powder charge, g - 1.43-1.46;
  • Loading density, g / cm - 0.93;
  • The maximum pressure of powder gases, kg / cm2 - 3000;
  • The shape and size of the powder grain is an ellipsoid spheroid, outer diameter, mm - 0.30-0.60.

Bullet feature

• Bullet type - jacked;
  • Bullet weight, g - 3.9-4.1;
  • Bullet length, mm - 25.50-25.65;
  • The diameter of the leading part of the bullet, mm - 5.62-5.65;
  • The transverse load of the bullet, g / cm3 - 15.82;
  • Ballistic coefficient of a bullet, m2 / kg - 3.5;
  • Bullet shell material is tampac-plated steel;
  • Bullet shell mass, g - 1.30-1.45;
  • Bullet core material is a metal-ceramic alloy;
  • The mass of the bullet core, g - 1.8-1.9.

Case characteristic

• The shape and type of case - bottle, flangeless;
  • The mass of the case with a primer, g - 5.50-5.57;
  • Length, mm - 39.5-39.7;
  • The free volume of the case, cm3 - 1.74;
  • The volume of the case with a planted bullet, cm3 - 1.56;
  • material is varnished steel;
  • Bullet attachment method - tight fit.

Additional information

• The cross-sectional area of the bore (AK-74M assault rifle) cm2 - 0.24;
  • Initial bullet speed (AK-74M assault rifle), m / s - 830-850;
  • Muzzle bullet energy (AK-74M assault rifle), J - 1330.1-1342.0;

The penetrative (from AK-74M) provides 100% penetration:
- steel plate with a thickness of 24 mm made of a St.3 steel at a distance of 100 meters,
- sections of body armor 6B23-1 at a distance of 100 meters,
- steel plate 5 mm thick of steel grade 2P at a distance of 550 meters.

Saiga-AK12

mjwOc5R.jpg

Spoiler

8TjUrkV.jpg

In other news, i see such things, but nothing on official site of CK.

India has signed an agreement with the Kalashnikov concern on the production of 750,000 AK-203 assault rifles. Earlier it was reported that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 3 will take part in the opening of the company for the production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in Ameti.

The Kalashnikov concern’s two-hundredth series AK will replace the INSAS assault rifles currently in use in the Indian army. The first AK-203 will be received by regular troops of India, then irregular units and policemen. The production process of this model of weapons is designed for 15-20 years. In the "Rosoboronexport" reported that in 2016, Moscow sent to New Delhi prototypes of AK-203.

8A8hnq3.jpg

Somethign new about our new super-sized sniper rifle

On the state procurement portal there is an application from the Tula Instrument Design Bureau named after Shipunov (KBP) for the development of a remote guidance drive for a "rocket" sniper rifle. R&D program on the weapon is conducted under the code "Marker" ("Flomaster").
   The drive is designed to aline the optical axis of the sight with the line of sight of the target according to the commands of the television tracking system. The drive includes a control unit and a gear motor for vertical and horizontal movement. The contractor will have to make a mock drive and test it with a rifle - including in conditions of high humidity, fog and in the temperature range from -50 to +60 degrees.

Information about the Russian "rocket" sniper rifle was first published in 2014. We are talking about firearm in caliber of 12-14 mm with a firing range that is an order of magnitude higher than modern sniper rifles. To do this, it is planned to use high-power ammunition. But the return of such a shot would not be sustained by the most trained sniper /.../ To reduce the recoil force of the powder gases is given in the opposite direction of the shot.

According to the developments of the KBP, the initial speed of the bullet from "Marker" will be about 1000 meters per second, the range of aimed shooting 5-7 kilometers. At a distance of 1-2 kilometers the rifle will be able to hit not only manpower, but also engage lightly armored vehicles.

http://zakupki.gov.ru/223/purchase/public/purchase/info/common-info.html?regNumber=31907591184

0201-2019-01567. Execution of the research and development work "Development of a remote-guidance drive for a sniper rifle launcher" Code "Flomaster PDN"

Hmm... design program name is very similar to ATGM system developed/under development for AFVs.

"Marker" (Фломастер\Flomaster). This new rocket use kinetic effects. It has a subcaliber hard-alloy core-penetrator, instead of the usual HEAT warhead. Of course, such a rocket has a worse armor penetration, but is very compact.

696529_600.jpg

Spoiler

scale_2400

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

About 7N39:

Ah, the much vaunted 7N39. According to Western sources, this mighty mite bullet can penetrate all known body armors, and is truly fearsome to behold.

In reality, evidently it is a fairly pedestrian tungsten cored round, almost certainly behind the latest 5.56mm AP developments, and is rated to penetrate only GOST Class 4 (roughly equivalent to Level III) at 100m. Snore.

9 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

That new polymer FK really activates my almonds.

I got to shoot the regular one when a friend had it for T&E. They even sent him 1,000 rounds so we really got to run it (and I kept a box of ammo for the hell of it, Mr. ammo collector guy).

Say what you will but those pistols are pretty damn incredible. I was making hits at 200 meters with ease and everything about the gun just feels terrific. $7500 worth of terrific? No, hell no but I could see maybe $2,500 or so.

2 hours ago, Alex C. said:

I got to shoot the regular one when a friend had it for T&E. They even sent him 1,000 rounds so we really got to run it (and I kept a box of ammo for the hell of it, Mr. ammo collector guy).

Say what you will but those pistols are pretty damn incredible. I was making hits at 200 meters with ease and everything about the gun just feels terrific. $7500 worth of terrific? No, hell no but I could see maybe $2,500 or so.

They are cool looking pistols (I haven't even held one yet), but you can get basically the same capability with a revolver that's several times cheaper. Possibly one of the only cases where I'll recommend a wheelgun over an automatic, hah.

The new M4s with the A1 upgrades are heavy and I hate them. The thicc barrel is bullshit, but at least you have an ambi safety I guess.

shJkh97.jpg

All that thiccness in front of the receiver with the "wrench flats" for mounting the 203s:

DBKVZxY.jpg

And I guess they are slapping their cage code on every part they can now:

vtkElRT.jpg