Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

kxQAkUE.jpg

Da hell is this? Underbarrel cornershot with pistol attached to some kind of rifle. We need our resident CHINA STRNG to ID that piece of dirty chinese communistic firearms. Note 2 triggers.

x8N6Y7C.jpg

Is this legal in Land of free? I heard about recent brace legal status shenanigans.

7MUXp2V.jpg

SPTSNZ STRNG. This is 12.7x108 mm Kord HMG, i think this is some kind of training.

It's a CF-06/HD-66. the only difference between the 2 variants being weather tolerances and some accessories.

Other then that, It's a proprietary 9mm SMG and a modified QSZ-92-9 as the cornershot

From what I've heard, they haven't proven that successful so far as far as actual usage goes.

Edit: I guess I should also add that it can apparently also use 5.8x21mm on the SMG portion and a standard 5.8mm QSZ-92.

So...question.

I know alot of handgun designs handle conversions from .40 S&W to .357 SIG quite well, how well do Glock Gen4s handle this exactly as I really haven't used very many Glocks? Am I going to have a bad time if I swap out a G22 barrel with a G31? (Mostly concerned with the fact .357 SIG operates at a pretty significantly higher pressure than .40 S&W and if they're designed for that.)

From pretty much everything I hear, both versions of the ZH-05 are actually pretty hated, to the point I'd be amazed if something short of direct government intervention doesn't stop it from being fully adopted. (It's only in rather limited service right now.)

For reference on the "both versions", There's an even bigger but rarer version that has your typical 5 round magazine for the grenade rounds, but being that this is even bulkier and heavier, It's not exactly popular.

So...question.

I know alot of handgun designs handle conversions from .40 S&W to .357 SIG quite well, how well do Glock Gen4s handle this exactly as I really haven't used very many Glocks? Am I going to have a bad time if I swap out a G22 barrel with a G31? (Mostly concerned with the fact .357 SIG operates at a pretty significantly higher pressure than .40 S&W and if they're designed for that.)

According to these people it's pretty straightforward:

http://www.handgunforum.net/glock/31350-g31-22-interchangability.html

This is really a question for Ulric though.

For the price of barrel conversion kits, I don't know why you just wouldn't get two guns. 

A factory G31 barrel with the proper tools to swap them would cost me $140 new (quoted price).

I'm more concerned exactly how well a Glock's frame and springs/rods will handle the 5,000-10,000 psi increase, depending if we're going by SAAMI or CIP specced loads because I'd rather not have to to dig shards of slide and cartridge out of my face.

It's just a thing because I'm genuinely curious about the .357 SIG round, I used a S&W 327 .357 Magnum for quite some time loaded with Buffalo Bore that would get in excess of 1,700 fps with 125 grain rounds so I'm more used to that level of recoil/impulse, However .40 S&W ammunition is quite a bit cheaper to just shoot, so I think, even with the $140 dollar investment, it would pay for itself rather fast.

The pressure increase shouldn't adversely affect the springs.  That's a problem for the locking surfaces to deal with... and that unsupported chamber.

The pressure increase amounts to a 14% or so increase in pressure, but because it's bottlenecked, there's a 20% or so reduction in thrust area, so the peak recoil force should actually be lower.  That's different than bolt thrust, which is obviously higher.

Also, something I've been pondering, why do countries use Tungsten alloys over DU for SLAP and and small arms "apcr" (such as the M993/5 and DM131)? I suspect the reasoning for most countries is dumb hippie shit, but even countries who use it alot like the USA, Russia, and China use Tungsten alloys for penetrators in the 5-15mm range (If you want to count prototype weapons and such.)

Wouldn't DU be preferred considering how many of the rounds are actually made, where the edge would fall to DU for sheer cost and raw amount of the material? (Also the whole Pyrophoric thing would be nifty)

My suspicion is that wulfram possesses superior effectiveness against the intended targets.

I'm not saying your wrong but, I don't really see alot of intended military targets where Tungsten alloys would perform better then DU alloys, mainly considering these aren't long rod designs and, memory serve me, Tungsten only achieves parity with DU in Steel armor at around 2000 m/s (I'll have to check that) which is much faster then these round would be moving. and that APDS rounds in the 20-35mm+ range still use DU somewhat commonly and have roughly the same designs.

I'll have to look for some documentation on this I guess, since while I'm not certain, you still could be right.

Though, Colli also had an interesting theory that you may need a license to handle larger amounts of DU as it might be classified as "nuclear" material and also that working with smaller amounts of DU is more hazardous due to the smaller surface area of the product in question being made and manufacturing difficulties on working with a pyrophoric material.

Tungsten is harder, but DU is self-sharpening (adiabatic sheer of the penetrator during erosion).

DU is cheaper, but probably only in the USA.  The USA has fuckloads of uranium-bearing ores, and fuckloads of spare uranium enrichment capacity.  On top of that, the US barely uses fast-neutron breeder reactors, and produces power exclusively with a once-through fuel cycle (THANKS JIMMY CARTER) so that DU isn't particularly useful to the nuclear industry.

The result?  A bunch of 238UF6 sitting around in stainless steel storage tanks while engineers puzzle away coming up with a use for the stuff.  So they end up using it as ballast in airplanes, weights for oil-drilling equipment, armor inserts in abramses, and AP material.

I don't know if any other country in the world is in that sort of weird situation.

DU is probably also a bitch to machine thanks to the pyrophoricity.  You've got to be really careful with machined shavings of a material that bursts into flame spontaneously when it has enough surface area.

Honestly Donward, exactly what gun stores in Seattle or it's suburbs do you go where you have all these problems finding ammo? I mean, I've seen it really bad at certain times like during certain panics, but, aside from not finding my precious Buffalo Bore in .40 S&W (But the Golden Saber Bonded I found works really well as a substitute and was half off to boot.) I don't have all that much trouble finding gun fuel, and I've bought in quite a few calibers in the past say, 2 years or so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just genuinely curious where you usually go that has these problems.

None of the gun stores have .22 LR and you have to wait in line once a week and hope you get you daily allotment of two 50 round boxes. Or I can go to Wades Eastside Guns and get all I care to buy for $8.99-12.99 a box and suffer through the sales guy's bullshit about how the rounds I'm buying are "more accurate" than the old .22 that used to get sold.

The percussion caps just flabbergast me but that was just at a couple of the rinkydink places I went to at the last minute on New Years.

Eh, Wade's isn't that bad, I mean pretty much any salesman is going to try and butter you up and make you feel good about a purchase no matter how misguided, but that's unfortunately how they stay afloat really.

Plus they have a really nice shooting range.